Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Capcom: "Don't expect an HD remake of SFIII: Third Strike"

• 01-07-2009 6:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭

http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2009/07/capcom-dont-expect-an-hd-remake-of-sfiii-third-strike.ars
    When Capcom released Super Street Fighter II Turbo HD Remix, it made us ask ourselves what other classic fighters we'd like to see get the HD treatment. Since many Street Fighter fans still live and die by SFIII: Third Strike, that would seem like a logical choice. But according to Capcom, it's probably not going to happen.
    "An HD Remix on SF3 would be a challenge in and of itself given the number of frames of animation and effects that would have to be redone, especially in light of what we learned on SSF2THDR," Capcom's Christian Svensson wrote on Capcom-Unity. "As such, the very nature of the project...is somewhat unlikely."
    But while a hi-def remake seems out of the question, that doesn't mean we won't see a downloadable version of Third Strike in the same vein as Marvel vs Capcom 2.
    "When Marvel vs Capcom 2 does well with the current feature set (filters+netcode), that would make a compelling case for SF: Third Strike in the same fashion..." Director of Design Kraig Kujawa chimed in.
    From the sound of it, an online-enabled downloadable version of Third Strike is likely, but only if MvC2 is successful. And given how well SSF2THDR sold, it's safe to say that MvC2 will probably do just fine.

Not the best news in the world, but not the worst, I suppose.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,721 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Totally expected.
    Won't matter though, since SNK, ArcSys & the JP doujin scene provide me with all the 2D love I need :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

I'd go with 3S with filters + GGPO-esque netcode over current SNK ports any day. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 27 smdylan

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Totally expected.
    Won't matter though, since SNK, ArcSys & the JP doujin scene provide me with all the 2D love I need :D

in case you own an xbox just a word of warning dont import blazblue i was just about to off amazon last night when i thought just to be safe i'll make sure its region free like they said it would be and BOOM! it wasnt so it looks like i wont be playing blazblue anytime soon :( it will play on ps3 though, as for 3rd strike i feel that pretty good news, predictable as it was, i wouldnt care if it was hd remixed or not the visuals are pretty impressive the way they are not much they could do with it

• Moderators Posts: 5,558 ✭✭✭Azza

Yeah but isn't balance in 3s mean't to be terrible?

Azza wrote: »
    I know, Psycho Power got nerfed into oblivion! :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,614 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Azza wrote: »

There's only 4 characters worth using.

And Q for comedy value.

It's a shame, even an update without fancy graphics and HDRemix levels of tweaking would be very nice. The games animation looks gorgeous enough as is.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

Yeah, I'm not really bothered if 3S doesn't get the beauty treatment like SSF2T. Just balance out the fighters and we'll be happy :). I wouldn't use many characters in 3S, only 6 really who are the Ansatsuken boys, Yun and Yang and Chun Li but thats it. Everyone else are almost completely unusable for me :(.

Although, nappy man is pretty powerful but has limited combos.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

They won't rebalance it if they're just doing a MVC2 job.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

I can deffo understand them not being arsed redrawing all those frames of animations at a 1080 scale looking at how long it took HD remix to come out, I mean I heard about HD remix well over a year if no nearing 2 years before SFIV was even announced. & yet they were out almost at the same time.

However releasing it as is or with slight resolution improvements would be nice.

As for the talk of tiers, well yeah its deffo not as balanced as SFIV thats for sure but the low tier characters are really fun to play. I really enjoy playing ibuki and Sean myself and have had fantastic matches against really skilled players using necro Q and so on and so forth.

The low tier characters aint useless they're great fun, its just the top tier well, chun li, is totally broken.

Don't forget Yun.
    If he has Super, it's practically free damage no matter what you do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Cunny-Funt

Oh indeed Yun is top tier, but chun is officially considered broken. lol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

Translation:

We will rerelease Alpha 3 next year.
    Eventually in several years we will do Third strike with optional rebalances and possibly rejigged graphics.

Advertisement