Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heavy Rain brings flood risk for East, Midlands and South on Thursday

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭afatbollix

In D1 its going off every few minutes... never seen it this bad... its cool...

lucky im up for it :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

seems to be passing now:(

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,632 ✭✭✭darkman2

It's pissing rain here and thunder and lightning is frequent - VERY frequent..........jesus this is bad...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

oh here we go.... gardai are responding to automatic house alarms now

hear a good few garda cars speeding down the roads :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

robbie_998 wrote: »
    hear a good few garda cars speeding down the roads :rolleyes:

could be fallen trees

• Advertisement

could be fallen trees

could be...... lets hope they dont knock out any power lines

Lightning and thunder very frequent now and loud but rain has died off a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Got bad here in Malahide - not a regular occurrence in Dublin!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 210 ✭✭garytuohy

It is really really bad. Back garden is flooded, don't want to look out front

sdonn wrote: »
    Got bad here in Malahide - not a regular occurrence in Dublin!

I am in the locale;) Rain heavier and lightning continues.

• Advertisement

lol if there werent any clouds it would be bright out :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,067 ✭✭✭afatbollix

satellites all gone again in work.. like the start at 4 is this part 2?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,517 ✭✭✭✭M.T. Cranium

Just posted on the weather forecast thread here that it appears like a second heavy storm complex has formed over Wicklow and this is also moving towards Dublin, could be there by 0600 or 0630, and this may be as heavy as the previous round. Also there are indications of more developments later in the day. Could be some nasty urban flooding later today at this rate.

Basically, there is a conveyor belt of tropical moisture from Spain and the Bay of Biscay into Ireland with more batches of heavy thundershowers forming, but eventually this will shift east into the UK and allow a second disturbance off to the southwest to move in on Friday, at which time there could be yet another round of heavy storms as the warmth and humidity will still be around until that one moves in.

Supprised communication is still available. Thunder and lightning still but infrequent - the main story is the rain...bucketing down....no words could do it justice - it is very bad! Another flash!

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭microgirl

Blasted weather woke me up an hour ago! Not seeing much flashes in Killester anymore, and the rumbles are distant and a lot less frequent. Seems I missed all the fun.

Unfortunately a close friend is getting married in Rush this afternoon - deeply unfair after the summer we've been having *sigh*

I hope my cats have had the wit to stay out of this, or I'm going to have a couple of very soggy moggies.

darkman2 wrote: »
    Supprised communication is still available. Thunder and lightning still but infrequent - the main story is the rain...bucketing down....no words could do it justice - it is very bad! Another flash!

Are we in the same Malahide? Not that bad here in hte last hour bar a couple of minutes of heaviness a while back :P

Ditto on the communications front - leccy/NTL are notorious in bad weather where I am. I remember a couple of years ago there was a massive flash down towards barrack bridge accompanied by the buzzing sound of electricity - massively loud - and the whole area blacked out as either lighting hit the substation or there was an electrical explosion of some kind, caused by flooding maybe. Dead scary.

sdonn wrote: »
    Are we in the same Malahide? Not that bad here in hte last hour bar a couple of minutes of heaviness a while back :P

Ditto on the communications front - leccy/NTL are notorious in bad weather where I am. I remember a couple of years ago there was a massive flash down towards barrack bridge accompanied by the buzzing sound of electricity - massively loud - and the whole area blacked out as either lighting hit the substation or there was an electrical explosion of some kind, caused by flooding maybe. Dead scary.

Yeah we are in the same Malahide and it is bucketing here! No lightning now just bucketing rain...

darkman2 wrote: »
    Yeah we are in the same Malahide and it is bucketing here! No lightning now just bucketing rain...

Lol actually yeah, scratch the above - just opened the bigger window to find my doormat is under about 3-4cm of water...driveway with the drain blocked means theres a massive flood cos its sloped!

Going to be an interesting few hours *gets caffeine*

Don't say you were not warned:D

BTW new thunderstorms are moving due north from the south that may effect us today.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,998 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Looks like another heavy blob of ppn heading up the east coast atm.

• Advertisement

Raining heavily here at the moment

Worst of the thunder and rain hit here from 2 to 5am with at times gunshot deafening thunder.
    I got up at one stage to look out but couldnt make out what sort of lightning as there was dense fog.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 46 pfk-0p

looks like there's another lot heading up the east coast, what time might it hit north dublin?
    last night was really something

• Registered Users Posts: 15,431 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Never saw a three hour chart like this before, awsome!!

3hr-rain.gif

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

Supercell wrote: »
    Never saw a three hour chart like this before, awsome!!

3hr-rain.gif

Yeah feast your eyes on whats downwind in terms of lightning strikes :eek::eek:

http://meteocentre.com/lightning/map_sfuk.php?time=0&lang=en

• Registered Users Posts: 8,146 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

I have a family member landing in dublin soon it could be a bumpy one!

Very heavy rain here continuing.
    My davis weather station is now slanting like the leaning tower of piza and is recording no rain at the moment.
    The ground underneath it has subsided and is now in a flood of water.
    The problem started with last thursday/fridays downpours and thunderstorms [I initially thought it was a radio and electricity black out problem 'till I investigated].
    I did a temporary fix yesterday but the amount of water flowing beside it now has made the thing lean down again :(

I won't be attempting to fix it in this down pour.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,934 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Hi Darkman

That was a great early warning post yesterday morning it was spot on as regards the weather, and like you say the Met Office should have given a warning on this one it would have saved a lot of flooding for people this morning but as usual they are asleep in the Met in this Country, it would not have happened in the UK.

Well Done

PS Any chance of Storms in the West soon????

Storm 10

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,418 ✭✭✭Jip

Yeah, well done Darkman, I had spotted it on the front page before I went to bed last night and mentioned it to my wife, she loves thunder and lightning storms. I had a heavy training session yesterday evening and there was no way I was getting up to watch it, damn black out blinds in the bed room stopping me seeing it from the comfort of the bed, but my wife got up for a gander.
    Bucketing down here now in D15 and noticed the water levels in the drains are alot higher than I've seen before. Dublin airport apparently got 15 days of rain in 1 hour some time during the morning.

yard and garden in front of this office is now a lake again.
    No thunder.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

You guys get all the action.

Advertisement