Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Another AP or Repeater?

Options
  • 01-07-2009 6:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 448 ✭✭

I have a Netgear Wireless AP in my house serving a PC and a few laptops fine. We recently converted the garage (not connected to the house) and now have 2 more desktop computers out there. From the garage we can just about get a signal from the AP in the house. It works but the connection was not reliable and would drop and reauthenticate every few mins.

If I bought another one of my Netgear Wireless AP/Routers could I create an ESSID (both SSID's of both APs equal to eachother) so I could join the two wireless networks together and share the resources of all.

I am not sure if the house and garage share the same power line so I don't want to go down the power socket networking route.

What options do I have available to me? (Another AP or Repeater?). If repeater, where can I buy one, as I can't seem to find anywhere that stocks them online.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,287 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

ve wrote: »
    I have a Netgear Wireless AP in my house serving a PC and a few laptops fine. We recently converted the garage (not connected to the house) and now have 2 more desktop computers out there. From the garage we can just about get a signal from the AP in the house. It works but the connection was not reliable and would drop and reauthenticate every few mins.

If I bought another one of my Netgear Wireless AP/Routers could I create an ESSID (both SSID's of both APs equal to eachother) so I could join the two wireless networks together and share the resources of all.

I am not sure if the house and garage share the same power line so I don't want to go down the power socket networking route.

What options do I have available to me? (Another AP or Repeater?). If repeater, where can I buy one, as I can't seem to find anywhere that stocks them online.

You could use two routers if they support wireless distribution system (WDS) or client bridge mode.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Spear wrote: »
    You could use two routers if they support wireless distribution system (WDS) or client bridge mode.

List of supported equipment here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wireless_Distribution_System

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,080 ✭✭✭✭Random

Did you make any progress with this op? Looking to do similiar myself.

Advertisement