Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Std's in ireland

• 01-07-2009 6:59pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

How common is it? mabey im way off with this????

Now that i think of it nearly everone i know including myself has addmited to having unpertected sex with people they dont know at least once .
    Iim talking in the early 20s age group. My self and my mate were talking about it the last day , and thinking about it i recon half of the college population have at least a minor std, never been checked my self but its something id defo do.

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Dunno but I'm answering this thread with condoms on my fingers as I type.
    You sound dangerous! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Casshern88 wrote: »

Now that i think of it nearly everone i know including myself has addmited to having unpertected sex with people they dont know at least once .
    Iim talking in the early 20s age group. My self and my mate were talking about it the last day , and thinking about it i recon half of the college population have at least a minor std, never been checked my self but its something id defo do.
    I wonder about your group a bit then since I know 1 person whos done this, maybe 2 but hes a liar anyway so I dunno. And all early 20's in our group too.

Oh and spell check plz?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,559 ✭✭✭✭AnonoBoy

You know a lot of morons I take it.

Get yourself checked out ya little chancer before you catch something that penicillin won't clear up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 359 ✭✭jigglywoo

never been checked my self but its something id defo do

Then what's stopping you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Maybe you all should'nt of slept with the same Skank?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,179 ✭✭✭FunkZ

I was gonna say something really dumb but I decided to delete it.

Anyways... it's just stupid to have unprotected sex with someone you don't know...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

FunkZ wrote: »

Anyways... it's just stupid to have unprotected sex with someone you don't know...

Its AH it would be rude not to say something really dumb lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭ThE_IVIAcIVIAIV

who wants some unprotected sex??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I don't understand the question fully but...

1 in 3 people will contract an STD in their lifetime, 75% of which will be people <30

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Casshern88

1 in 3 people will contract an STD in their lifetime, 75% of which will be people >30
    didnt know that , 1 in 3 is a lot of people

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

Well it is over a whole lifetime i guess. A lot of different action had by many over the years.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

1 in 3 people will contract an STD in their lifetime, 75% of which will be people <30
    Well im 2 in 3 and 25% under 30 so im safe

• Closed Accounts Posts: 911 ✭✭✭994

FunkZ wrote: »

Because people that you know are obviously STD-free?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

So 3/12 under 30 and 1/12 will be over 29, thats not too bad... for the older people

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,287 ✭✭✭davyjose

I gave up sleeping around a while back after an STD checkup. It came back clear, but I remember thinking WTF would I do if it said I had HIV or something. Could you imagine that? Could you imagine trying justify in your head that you had AIDS because you drunkenly banged some slapper after a night out? A roide that would have been no better than even the lamest fap. No way.

Given that HIV is on a sharp increase amongst young hetero's, I feel I've made the right choice..........

My girlfriend is reasonably happy about it too :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,069 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

So 3/12 under 30 and 1/12 will be over 29, thats not too bad... for the older people

It just means less sex, not safer vagoos

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

was in the states recently and theyre sti rate is nuts.
    One in every three have herpes :eek:

on a slightly side note i know a lad who went on lads holiday to thailand , had a g.f. here but temptation got the better of him banged 4 hookers over there got a std check months later and he was HIV + , obviously he had to tell the gf , and turned out she had contracted it off him when she got checked, obviously that was the end of that relationship.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,397 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

It just means less sex, not safer vagoos

That makes sense... no sex ftw ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,190 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

Must.....remove....apostrophe....

• Advertisement

Wazdakka wrote: »
    was in the states recently and theyre sti rate is nuts.
    One in every three have herpes :eek:

Now remember, what happens in Vegas stays, in Vegas... Except herpes, that shìt will come back with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭Bottle_of_Smoke

That includes HPV which is usually harmless, invisible and the body's immune system fights it off. Just sometimes people get unlucky and certain strains can lead to Warts/Cervical Cancer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,521 ✭✭✭✭dsmythy

on a slightly side note i know a lad who went on lads holiday to thailand , had a g.f. here but temptation got the better of him banged 4 hookers over there got a std check months later and he was HIV + , obviously he had to tell the gf , and turned out she had contracted it off him when she got checked, obviously that was the end of that relationship.

Your mate's a bit of a knob.

defo not my mate more of a friend of a friend thing, if i was in his ex gf's shoes i think id actually murder him serious i mean KILL him, he pretty much gave her a death sentance .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,051 ✭✭✭Whosbetter?

STDs?

I hear the Bellburn Clinic is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

defo not my mate more of a friend of a friend thing, if i was in his ex gf's shoes i think id actually murder him serious i mean KILL him, he pretty much gave her a death sentance .
    Ah, it's not his fault... it's the skanky hookers'... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I would have thought it would be more than that. Sure you can carry them around for years without knowing.

I read that the spread of STDs in Ireland is actually more to do with people having numerous monogamous relationships rather than unprotected sex with strangers. I know I wouldn't have sex without a condom with someone I barely know whereas I have had with boyfriends and I have to admit I shouldn't really think that just because he isn't sleeping with anyone else but me at the time doesn't mean he hasn't got something nasty lurking up there. And vice versa. I suppose the moral of the story is to get tested regularly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

http://www.healthpromotion.ie/news/597/
    Have a safe Valentines!

12th February 2009

Make sure you have a happy and safe Valentines Day! Sexually Transmitted Infections (STIs) are on the increase. Many STIs have no signs or symptoms, but they can have devastating consequences for health and fertility if left untreated.

Those who are most at risk from STIs in general are young people under the age of 25, people who have had 2 or more sexual partners in the previous six months and men who have sex with men (MSM).

Despite public awareness campaigns, access to information, prevention and treatment advice high numbers of STIs continue to be reported to Departments of Public Health in Ireland.

Dr Margaret Fitzgerald (Consultant in Public Health Medicine) commented that "In recent months the number of more serious infections that have been reported across different age groups affecting both men and women is worrying. The infections reported include are syphilis, gonorrhoea, acute hepatitis B, HIV and Chlamydia".

Syphilis

A big concern for Dr Fitzgerald is the resurgence of syphilis during the 2007-08 reporting period. In 2001-02 there was a major outbreak of syphilis in Dublin which mostly affected men who have sex with men (MSM). The outbreak was contained through public health interventions of awareness raising, increased testing and contact tracing and the numbers decreased between 2003-06. However since 2007 again there has been an in increase in new cases of early syphilis affecting mainly MSM not just from Dublin but from most parts of the country. In 2008 alone there were 96 new cases of early syphilis reported. Syphilis is very treatable if diagnosed early and it is extremely important to treat all sexual contacts of diagnosed patients. It is also important to carry out a full STI screen as many of those infected are at risk from HIV and other infections.

Chlamydia

Another concern is the increase in diagnosed cases of Chlamydia, which is the most common STI notified to Public Health Departments. In 2008 there were 1855 new cases diagnosed in the HSE East region - an increase of 35% on 2007 figures. Chlamydia is a bacterial infection that affects both men and women. Young people (25 and under) appear to be particular at risk. It is called the "silent" STI because for the majority of women and about half of men there are no symptoms. There can, however, be serious long term effects especially for women such as chronic pelvic infection and infertility.

The infection can also be passed to babies at birth. According to Dr Fitzgerald there is better awareness of Chlamydia generally now than in the past and this may contribute to the rise in numbers of people diagnosed but these figures could also be an under represent of the true burden of Chlamydia especially in women. Chlamydia is very treatable when diagnosed, and a full STI screen should be carried out to rule out other infections. It is also important to treat sexual contacts of diagnosed patients.

If you are concerned that you may have an STI get advice from you local STI/GUM clinic, Doctor or contact the HSE Drugs/HIV Helpline 1800 459 459 or one of the support services listed on the dedicated HSE website, www.yoursexualhealth.ie.

Very much on the rise and on the rise in the young hetro population who didn't get proper sex edu in school and were too young or not born when all the late 80s early 90s hiv wear a condom campaigns.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,311 ✭✭✭✭K-9

davyjose wrote: »
    I gave up sleeping around a while back after an STD checkup. It came back clear, but I remember thinking WTF would I do if it said I had HIV or something. Could you imagine that? Could you imagine trying justify in your head that you had AIDS because you drunkenly banged some slapper after a night out? A roide that would have been no better than even the lamest fap. No way.

Given that HIV is on a sharp increase amongst young hetero's, I feel I've made the right choice..........

My girlfriend is reasonably happy about it too :pac:

HIV is only a small part of the STD problem.
    Lux23 wrote: »
    I would have thought it would be more than that. Sure you can carry them around for years without knowing.

I read that the spread of STDs in Ireland is actually more to do with people having numerous monogamous relationships rather than unprotected sex with strangers. I know I wouldn't have sex without a condom with someone I barely know whereas I have had with boyfriends and I have to admit I shouldn't really think that just because he isn't sleeping with anyone else but me at the time doesn't mean he hasn't got something nasty lurking up there. And vice versa. I suppose the moral of the story is to get tested regularly.

Actually good point. I've known a few women who also disregard condoms if they are on the pill, women in their late 20's and early 30's that should know better. Can't say I made too much of an issue of it either!

Mad Men's Don Draper : What you call love was invented by guys like me, to sell nylons.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,582 ✭✭✭✭TheZohanS

davyjose wrote: »
    Could you imagine trying justify in your head that you had AIDS because you drunkenly banged some slapper after a night out?

Forget about AIDS, it's Super AIDS that you have to worry about.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

Thanks for the warning, college burds are riddled...ill keep that in mind next time im out on student nights;)

K-9 wrote: »
    HIV is only a small part of the STD problem.

But not insignificant.

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

If you were in his ex gf's shoes..you might get a job in Thailand yourself:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 Terry,

The last stats is mise remembers on STD's was about a high proportion of water bed owners having stds.

They own water beds. Not too hard to think it through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

Terry, wrote: »
    The last stats is mise remembers on STD's was about a high proportion of water bed owners having stds.

They own water beds. Not too hard to think it through.

They're hookers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭AdamusAdonis

Biggins wrote: »
    Dunno but I'm answering this thread with condoms on my fingers as I type.
    You sound dangerous! :D

how-to-stop-computer-viruses-with-a-condom-on-the-modem-lead-ANON.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

In all fairness why would anyone have unprotected sex with a stranger in the first place? Why?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,467 ✭✭✭Wazdakka

super-rush wrote: »
    In all fairness why would anyone have unprotected sex with a stranger in the first place? Why?

In reverse order of probability the person is..

3. Horny
    2. Drunk
    1. Just Plain Fcuking Stupid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,919 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

super-rush wrote: »

lack of condoms and a raging horn?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

I started a similar thread years back about Bareback and also genital warts
    Lol...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Wazdakka wrote: »
    In reverse order of probability the person is..

3. Horny
    2. Drunk
    1. Just Plain Fcuking Stupid

I don't entertain the drunk bit at all. If i was so drunk that i could not put on a condom then i'm too drunk to have sex. I wouldn't be able to find it if i was that drunk.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Captain-America

Std's in ireland

STD is in Ireland? Oh no!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,046 ✭✭✭enniscorthy

hiya mate just do what i did keep ridin keep gettin em eventually they will also cancel each other out 42 years of age now look at me i turned out fine hehehehehehehahaha:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Once you graduate you leave your STD in a cup on the way out???

Eh, STD's are pretty common, saying that, I never gone one, I should have... I went to college and all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 178 ✭✭adzer86

Once you graduate you leave your STD in a cup on the way out???

Eh, STD's are pretty common, saying that, I never gone one, I should have... I went to college and all.

You cant contract them from your hand :P

Advertisement