Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Move AVC to another company?

Options
  • 01-07-2009 7:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭

Hi Everybody,

I'm have a quick question about my pension. Each month my employer puts the equivalent of 6% of my salary into a pension and I put in 4% of my actual salary. This is mandatory and everyone does it.

On top of this , for the last two years I have been putting a further 5% of my salary into an AVC into the same fund. It has just occurred to me that really I should diversify a little bit as I have all my eggs in one basket. Who's to say Mercer won't go bankrupt in the next 30 years? Their fund manager might be useless etc.

Should I be putting my AVC into a fund with another pension provider? How does the tax and PRSI work then when I fund it myself? I don't suppose I can just invest money myself and say its for my AVC? Get the tax benefits from it providing I don't touch the money until retirement? For example Rabo do a regular investor account? Not AVC related though.

Thanks for any help I get.
    Steve

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 750 ✭✭✭broker2008

Are Mercer the broker ? There may be a choice of fund managers and fund choices also. If not you could set up your own AVC with another provider. The most important point is you are putting a decent amount into the pension, even try to increase as you get older to maximise your limits from a tax relief point of view.

Advertisement