Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Buying Ammo in North

Options
  • 01-07-2009 7:05pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭

Is it possilble to buy ammo in a gun shop in the north or would you have to go through the process of getting a visitors permit for the UK?

Just that I suppose ammo is cheaper up north like most other stuff.

Mac

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Could be a bit of target here but the general process is similar to importing a firearm. Goes something along the lines of the following;

A) Apply for a European firearms pass.
    B) Apply for either an article 7 from the Gardai or article 11 from DOJ.
    C) Make sure the article 7 from the Gardai if applied for, has 3 months minimum expiry period.
    D) Post,fax or e-mail Import licence to dealer to be forwarded on to England for approval. This may take up to 21 - 28 working days.

Now i know this is the routine for firearms so the finer points of importing ammo could differ slightly but i'm sure the lads here can fine tune any wrinkles (or completely correct me because, mark the date, i have been known to be wrong ............shock...........gasp...........awe....)
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 248 ✭✭thedragon

Thats all knocked on the head now,ya buy here or ya dont buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,034 ✭✭✭✭It wasn't me!

The legislation hasn't been passed yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,038 ✭✭✭✭Sparks

thedragon wrote: »
    No, it hasn't been. There's a Bill under debate in the Dail to ban personal imports, yes, but it's not been passed yet.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 298 ✭✭mac80

Sounds lke too much hassle so, I'll buy local

• Advertisement

thedragon wrote: »

Can we please have one thread that doesn't come back to the CJB. If it passes it passes if it doesn't it doesn't. For the time being it hasn't and mac80 just wanted a simple question answered.
    Originally posted by mac80

Sounds lke too much hassle so, I'll buy local

It is a bit of a pain in the a**e, but honestly there are saving to be got plus there is a shop outside Newry and he stocks ammo that simply cannot be got down here so it can be worthwhile if you buy in large quantities.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

ezridax wrote: »
    Can we please have one thread that doesn't come back to the CJB.
    Much as I'd like that, the CJB (and the CJB before that, and the CJB before that and before that...) tend to muck us about so much that there's little getting away from it :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,530 ✭✭✭Duck's hoop

I'm wondering if ending of personal imports is not legal under EU free trade agreements?

I mean what's the difference between importing a car and a firearm? Under the trade agreements I mean. I know the difference, but ultimately I think that the proposed legislation is potentially very challengeable. Think they would have thought of that.

It's just one more reactionary 'seen to be doing something' billshut populist manoeuvre by a crowd of shysters. Demonisation of firearms, and, by association, firearms holders.

So they want to stop joe blo importing a firearm while joe blow dealing scum bucket gets his Glock in overnight? Along with a few grenades. And so on. I know you know, but wanted it off me chest.

Excuse the rant.

Sparks wrote: »
    Much as I'd like that, the CJB (and the CJB before that, and the CJB before that and before that...) tend to muck us about so much that there's little getting away from it :(

I know its mucking us all about, but tbh it seems that every post relates back to it in some form or another. There is a dedicated thread to the CJB and any talk about it should go through it. If a thread starts on one point and starts going into CJB territory then any further talk (about that point not the entire thread) should be continued in the CJB thread. I know its (CJB) important but sometimes it refreshing to talk about good 'ould fashion shooting topics without all the doom and gloom of the CJB.

Its just my opinion lads, i not preaching or ordering or even demanding that any of the above be done. I hope ye all know where i'm coming from on this. (Feel free to tell me to p**s off)

ezridax wrote: »
    I know its mucking us all about, but tbh it seems that every post relates back to it in some form or another.
    Well, yes - because half the stuff people ask about in here is stuff the CJB is changing (and that's why they're asking). That's just the way of things.
    I know its (CJB) important but sometimes it refreshing to talk about good 'ould fashion shooting topics without all the doom and gloom of the CJB.
    Hence the "no politics" rules in Target Shooting and Hunting (though it's a bit more relaxed in specific cases in Hunting).[/quote]

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,772 ✭✭✭meathstevie

If anyone would bother bringing this peace of legislation to the Straatsburg court I think the chances are indeed quite high that the CJB will fall faul of the Maastricht Treaty that caters for the free circulation of goods and services inside the EU. It does of course leave us open to a royal shafting from a couple of importers and dealers who'll have a chance to inflate prices even further.

Advertisement