Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bombarded from upc about broadband and phone!!

Options
  • 01-07-2009 7:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,457 ✭✭✭

Just looking for advice please am currently on 3mb eircom 30 euro a month am paying.I am bombarded with upc ringing me about their faster speeds and better prices and their good value phone and broadband packages.Are they worth switching to,and how do people find their broadband and phone services,also if ntl digital goes down ,do phone and broadband go down as well.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭docmol

I changed to upc because my eircom service was so bad as to be un-useable. 3mb with crazy pings and no customer support. Have upc 10mb with phone and basic digital tv for a month now and no complaints (yet..) Saving about €20/month with digital tv and very good broadband v eircom.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Always remember you should be able to stop marketing phone calls by contacting your phone provider.

http://www.dataprotection.ie/viewdoc.asp?DocID=908

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

The BB only goes down with TV if the cable is cut or some such fault. It uses separate equipment. You don't need take the TV package at all.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭Preset No.3

I am at wits end with Eircom broadband. I have the broadband and landline for years and its always been pretty dodge. My sky is 30 a month and I hear it suppose to go up in September.

Welcome to the eircom broadband Speed Test Site
    Result: 259kbps

Just as I am typing this, i did a speed test. Seriously how bad is this? Then again, how bad is UPC? I hear all sorts of bad stories about their customer service.

Docmol, how much are you paying for the phone, 10mb broadband and tv?

€65/month= 10Mb broadband, digitalTV (basic), phone. They threw in the wireless router and a digital VCR. They also locked the phone from ringing mobiles and premium rates (for a couple of euros) Eircom lagtimes were killing me(CSS) Their tech support were worse than useless (we cant do anything until you cart your pc from upstairs, down to the router, and plug in with a patch. We dont care what your "ping" and "traceroute" say, no you can't speak to a senior engineer, even if you are an engineer yourself) I hear upc have upped their customer service lately, but I've never had to use it :-) They cannot be worse than eircom.

513380688.png

While downloading 2 torrents

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,815 ✭✭✭Burgo

docmol wrote: »
    €65/month= 10Mb broadband, digitalTV (basic), phone. They threw in the wireless router and a digital VCR. They also locked the phone from ringing mobiles and premium rates (for a couple of euros) Eircom lagtimes were killing me(CSS) Their tech support were worse than useless (we cant do anything until you cart your pc from upstairs, down to the router, and plug in with a patch. We dont care what your "ping" and "traceroute" say, no you can't speak to a senior engineer, even if you are an engineer yourself) I hear upc have upped their customer service lately, but I've never had to use it :-) They cannot be worse than eircom.

513380688.png

While downloading 2 torrents

Were you on the eircom 7mb package? Im on the 3mb currently and have not noticed any lag in css.

originally 1 meg, fine for years, then last october pings went up by about 500ms overnight. Contacted customer support, did usual tests, the only fix they could give was going up to the 3mb, so I did. That was fine 'till march, pings went through the roof. Customer support at eircom are the most useless bunch of .... ever. 2 months, about 50 calls, email, letters the works. They would tell me it's a line problem and they'd send an engineer, then immediately close the call log, as if it had been solved! They lied continuously. When I pointed out that if I hijacked my neighbours access (with their ok) my pings more than halved and they are on the 1 mb package they told me to disable wireless and use a patch! The list goes on and on. Very happy with UPC at the moment, but I haven't been with them very long. They do throttle bittorrent but I can live with that. The router they provide is a big step-up from the eircom one I was using. It lets me prioritize gaming traffic, so all the other machines in the house can browse/email/download and I still get great pings.
    /endrant

• Registered Users Posts: 37,299 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Burgo wrote: »
    Were you on the eircom 7mb package? Im on the 3mb currently and have not noticed any lag in css.
    Most CSS people noticed a massive ping increase when they went from the 3meg to 7meg lines. Most asked to go back to 3meg, as it was betteer for gaming.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭itsonlywords

decies wrote: »
    Just looking for advice please am currently on 3mb eircom 30 euro a month am paying.I am bombarded with upc ringing me about their faster speeds and better prices and their good value phone and broadband packages.Are they worth switching to,and how do people find their broadband and phone services,also if ntl digital goes down ,do phone and broadband go down as well.
    I know it is a while since you asked but I am with UPC for years now and the TV is ok, broadband works well but do me a favour stick with Eircom for the phone service. I am on moden No. 4 in 18 months and have terrible problems with that phone service. It is operated on VOIP and theein seems to lie the problem. Also dont fiorget if broadband goes down you have NO PHONE SERVICE, like today for 3 hours.I am going to Eircom for phone service. Phone service for me with UPC stinks. 22 minutes today to speak to Technical Services. What a shower. Very bad tech service

Advertisement