Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

MADAM LISA PHYCIC LIMERICK

• 01-07-2009 7:47pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭

Madam Lisa in Catherine Street, Limerick.

Anyone ever been to see her???

I have, with 2 friends. I will post details later on, just generating sm responses in the meantime.

Surprised there are none on here as she has been based at Cath St for years and years.
    My mam knows of her growing up and said that her granfather used read fortunes aswell.

Please post ur experience of her in detail - be v interesting for us all Im sure!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,066 ✭✭✭talkingclock

be v interesting for us all Im sure!

:confused::confused::confused:
    eh? why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

I went to see her twice:) But it was years ago.

I don't go to psychics anymore. I feel alot of them are con!. But I did found her to be great. It's a very easy art to "pretend" But she did say a few striking things that were 100% accurate that no one else knew about me at the time of visiting her. But to give you very objective advice.

If it's something you believe and need to do, go for it, but take it as a pinch of salt, and try not to get overtaken by it all. It's just a direction., You are always the master of your own life.

Some people thought she was amazing some thought that you should avoid her like the plaugue. She got 90% things spot on with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

mysterious wrote: »
    . I feel alot of them are con!.

Now there's a surprise.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 386 ✭✭shindig-jp

Madam Lisa in Catherine Street, Limerick.

Anyone ever been to see her???

I have, with 2 friends. I will post details later on, just generating sm responses in the meantime.

Surprised there are none on here as she has been based at Cath St for years and years.
    My mam knows of her growing up and said that her granfather used read fortunes aswell.

Please post ur experience of her in detail - be v interesting for us all Im sure!

Next time you go see her and pay her 30Euro... Ask her if she can see a future where people do not use text messaging language on a forum board

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

or a fututre where people dont fall for cold reading. cos I'll be out of business then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

@buttercupbee please refer to the charter in relation to txt spk

@shindig-jp Please refer to the charter in relation to how to behave when a post breaches the charter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I went to see her twice:) But it was years ago.

I don't go to psychics anymore. I feel alot of them are con!. But I did found her to be great. It's a very easy art to "pretend" But she did say a few striking things that were 100% accurate that no one else knew about me at the time of visiting her. But to give you very objective advice.

If it's something you believe and need to do, go for it, but take it as a pinch of salt, and try not to get overtaken by it all. It's just a direction., You are always the master of your own life.

Some people thought she was amazing some thought that you should avoid her like the plaugue. She got 90% things spot on with me.

"A lot" try all of them, its not real, its just cold reading, she didnt tell you anything, you told her everything with body language and dropping hints you didnt realise, great racket to be in, always easy to seperate a fool from their money

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buttercupbee

@shindig-jp Please refer to the charter in relation to how to behave when a post breaches the charter.

Ive looked Billy - cant find this charter.
    How do u mean "in relation to txt speak?" - As in - abbreviate most of my words? Abv mst my wds???:)

HOw do I find??? Ive looked in User CP....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 146 ✭✭buttercupbee

Oh u mean TYPE FULL WORDS PROPERLY???
    NOT shorten them down???
    Thought everyone did that here. no?
    Please dont tell me off for using three ??? at end of my every question - I love doing that!:)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Who would have thought from reading the first post it would turn into a post about the correct use of text when posting.

Getting back to the subject, OP, where were you going with your initial post?

You said you'd post your experience, so c'mon then...... Don't keep us in suspense:p:p:p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

Speaking of Cold reading Fortune Telling and other such topices
    of converstion......

I spent the day copying DVD's for people in work about
    EFT http://www.emofree.com/

The DVD's stated that the owner can get them copied up to
    100 times to give em out to people as long as its free.
    The bloke that so called invented EFT is a some multi millionare who's not in it for the money but charges 150 USD for the discs all the same.

Bloody heck its some Crazy Crazy rubbish.
    They basically believe that if you tap your hand/nose/head/eyes/neck/chest and keep saying your gonna give up what your addicted to that all of a sudden boom! flash of light! your cured! It even cures cancer! if your to believe some of the webpages and talk I've heard today.

It basically ties into the placebo effect where if you can relax someone and make them suggestable and they trust you they will believe so strongly that it will
    have a postive effect on their health.

I was really surpised that people I work with actually
    totally belived without any doubt that this was all true.
    One of the issues with belief systems, you dont need to prove anything
    with cold hard facts you just need to believe.

While I believe that your body can self heal itself and probably heals better with some postive thoughts or emotional reinforcement I highly doubt that there is
    some miricle cure.

~B

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭Comhrá

So where exactly in Catherine St. does she hang out?
    I'd be curious about this sort of thing and I'd be open-minded too....
    might give her a try.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,096 ✭✭✭--amadeus--

Complete and utter waste of time and money. In my opinion anyone who takes money for psychic readings is either a deliberate fraud or delusional.

I guarantee that any half way decent stage magician could do exactly what "madam Lisa" does; how it's done isn't even particularly secret any more - spend half an hour mooching the net and you'll have the basics yourself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭mysterious

krudler wrote: »
    "A lot" try all of them, its not real, its just cold reading, she didnt tell you anything, you told her everything with body language and dropping hints you didnt realise, great racket to be in, always easy to seperate a fool from their money

Not all.

Thats like saying all white people hate black or whatever. Snap out of it please.

Test the unknown and powers of intution then you can hold an opinion of merit. Otherwise don't assume you know because you simply do not.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 299 ✭✭Firefox10

Phycics should be banned completely from what is inherently a fraudulant activity.......That is all.

Plus im grumpy this morning.

It's true what they say, ignorance is bliss!

I've been to a psychic a couple of times and the first time I went I was a complete skeptic and I was blown away by what was said to me.

I gave nothing away, the lady I went to see (who wasn't madam lisa) did all the talking, pieces of information just came pouring out of her mouth that she could not have known, that I had forgotten and only remembered as she would say it and this was all specific information. I was amazed.

The most recent time I went, I wasn't really too bothered about going and only went as a friend badly wanted to go. Again, I went in and gave nothing away, and again she blew me away with the accuracy of the information coming from her mouth that she could not have known. I didn't give her anything to go on, she did all the talking and again amazed me.

But, even though you come out feeling all amazed and stunned, everything you hear should be taken with a pinch of salt. It's entertainment really at the end of the day. You'd pay the same to go and see the circus. How you spend your money to be entertained is up to you.

I agree there are some con merchants out there but most of them exist in the form of some sort of salesman. I reckon there are more people feeling hard done by after purchasing a dodgy motor from the soundest person ever than there are people feeling ripped off from the likes of madam lisa.

Some people are scared of the unknown and unexplainable and choose to shun it rather than accept it exists and just ignore it if bothered by it.

You see there is the first misconcpetion. You don't need to speak to give away clues.

For example a young person (say late teens early 20s) goes in. I virtually guarantee that the psychic will say something along the lines of "I see transport, something to do with travel..." The mark *will* react to that - even without speaking. The psycic will then use a Barnum statement "it's unclear...I'm getting conflicting signals, some indicate a short trip but others a very long journey...this is perhaps causing you some stress"

At this point the psychic will be paying close attention. If teh mark responds (a twitch for example) when they mention a long trip then they will go on to say something like "I see aeroplanes - you're think of a long stay away perhaps - Australia? - But...wait...I see sadness too....You are worried for those you'll leave behind"

Now you show me a young person at the minute who hasn't kicked round teh idea of a year in Australia (esp in teh current climate). And in particular one who isn't worried about leaving behind friends and family.

And yet the mark is amazed - "Wow, I didn't say anything but they knew so much personal stuff about me - my plans to go abroad, even that I was worried about hom Mum would cope without me!" (it's very common for teh mark to "fill in the blanks" after a reading adding more detail than given.

At this point the believers go "ah hah, but wait, what if they AREN'T thinking of a trip away"??!! Well that's why the medium was watching for reactions. Because if no twitch when a long trip is mentioned then they go onto the short journey - a commute to work causing you stress, thinking about changing jobs? Learning to drive? Thinking about a new car? Planning a weekend trip? Had a bad experience in a car recently? Etc, etc, etc

Seriously it's a performance art and done well and with no artificial claims (eg the excellent Derren Brown) it is very entertaining. But taking money in return for claiming to pass on messages from dead relatives I personally find a little distasteful.

And I would suggest that it has nothing to do with having a closed mind - in fact the opposite, open mindedness and curiosity about how this works allows you to work it out pretty quickly. A closed and trusting attitude leaves you believing the act.

You see there is the first misconcpetion. You don't need to speak to give away clues.

What if you don't speak (except exchange hellos), and you sit down and her opening statement is, "before we start, that knee your partner had xrayed last week where nothing showed up, needs acupuncture, the problem won't show up on an xray but can be fixed by acupuncture".

How could she know by just saying hello that your partner had an xray on his knee last week and nothing showed up in the xray?

I agree that some of them play on your reactions but sometimes you do get amazed when they come out with stuff like the above.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

if someone has to place their trust in a person with a deck of cards or a crystal ball to help them with their future, something's wrong......

this pretty much sums it up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hV5m77_HHKw&feature=PlayList&p=1A9F8274EFC6030D&playnext=1&playnext_from=PL&index=12

LadyTBolt wrote: »
    What if you don't speak (except exchange hellos), and you sit down and her opening statement is, "before we start, that knee your partner had xrayed last week where nothing showed up, needs acupuncture, the problem won't show up on an xray but can be fixed by acupuncture".

How could she know by just saying hello that your partner had an xray on his knee last week and nothing showed up in the xray?

I agree that some of them play on your reactions but sometimes you do get amazed when they come out with stuff like the above.

We were on a boat to the UK once and they had a kiddie's magician on board. Before he even started his act he said hello to a number of teh kids in the audience. By name! Including my own son! None of us had ever seen this guy before, so was it magic? Mindreading? Psychic powers?

No, he'd just spent 10 or 15 mins before his act hanging around listening to parents talking to thier kids and memorising thier names.

Doesn't sound so clever now. But it is exceptionally effective. Lots of mediums are alleged to have staff in the foyer of thier shows listening in for conversations like "oh I do hope to get a message from my auntie Doris tonight, especially after that nasty incident with the kitten...". Lo and behold how amazed everyone is when the psychic starts talking about kittens and auntie dot...

Now you mentioned that you went with a friend? Did the psychic have a waiting room? Did you and your friend wait in it? Did you talk while you were waiting? Can you see where I'm going with this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Yunalesca

My mother went to see her twice and found her excellent. She even told her to drop her man which is a very bold thing to say. My mother later found her man had been cheating.

However another woman I know went to her once and was told that her husband was very controlling. That would be hard, considering how dead he is.

I'd still go for the craic if she wasn't that expensive. But take it with a grain of salt.

Now you mentioned that you went with a friend? Did the psychic have a waiting room? Did you and your friend wait in it? Did you talk while you were waiting? Can you see where I'm going with this?

I had never been to this place before and neither had my friend (it was a house) - got there with the help of the GPS. When I pulled up in my car she came running out, at first I thought there was something wrong. Then she shouted, one at at time the other will have to wait in the car. At the time I thought this was kind of rude, the least she could do was let us wait inside. So to answer your question, she did not hear us speak to each other, at all. And also, the friend knew nothing about the knee until she was told about it afterwards.

This is only one example of the things she just came out with, there was so much more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,612 ✭✭✭bullets

I went to the holistic fair in south court recently as I had nothing better to do that day,
    just to see what it was like and how many of these types would be at it.
    All it was short was Tom Cruise and David Ike. :D

Straight away upon entering I was greeted by some women who started talking about
    getting Tea Leaf readings done which were done in a throw away polystyrene cup !
    Loads of incense burning, Women wearing purple, Crystal Balls, Guys trying to sell
    polished stones telling people they will be drawn to their own stone etc. Tarot Cards,
    more crystal balls, a Very Hot Blonde Babe indeed doing palm readings!
    Hippy'ish looking people selling jewelery, Loads of that Magnetic stuff too.

There were Dianitic crowd there "auditing". Hooking people up to these wonder tools to get rid of peoples reactive minds so they can be all happy and stuff.

Queues for ages to see the Fortune Tellers! and People actually being fussy
    on who they went to. There were purple clothes with moon symbols placed over
    rows of seats in the hall with the Tellers claiming seating areas for their punters.

35 Euros for a Lady to take your Photo of your Aura with a digital camera and print it out on am inkjet printer
    Not sure how the got a so called Aura reading without passing a voltage through someone. (guess the days of Kirlian photography with photographic pates are gone)

The only good thing I saw was a physiotherapist who was about the only one
    not talking seven shades of sh 1 t he was focusing on posture and showing how
    Foot Orthotics worked!! but again a money maker, 200 Euros for a set on plastic insoles!

I was entertained but for all the wrong reasons. I was truly stunned at how packed
    the place was and how so many ordinary people from around the area believed without any doubts about things like this. I felt sorry for other people who looked like
    they had genuine health issues were they would grasp at any straw thrown at them
    if there was a slight chance anything no matter how bizzare would help them with their
    ailments.

~B

I went to a fair like that once a few years ago with my friends for the craic.
    One of the friends went for a reading and came back all upset and cried for almost a week as yer one told her she was going to break up with her boyfriend of 7 years but it will be ok as she will meet someone better. It was terrible as she was mad about her boyfriend.

Many years later they are very happily married with 3 children.

There are cons out there, without a doubt. But not all of them are cons.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

Not all.

Thats like saying all white people hate black or whatever. Snap out of it please.

Test the unknown and powers of intution then you can hold an opinion of merit. Otherwise don't assume you know because you simply do not.:)

Ummm, not thats not the same thing at all, in any sense whatsoever

But not all of them are cons.

In your opinion.

We're coming from totally different viewpoints on this. How this woman knew about your knee I don't know. I do know that it wasn't supernatural - I mean if she really had the abilities she claims would she be telling fortunes for €30 in a house in Limerick? Or would she be on TV?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary proof. No physic has ever - *ever* - reproduced thier "abilities" under proper lab conditions. Now it is possible that the one true seer lives in Limerick and quietly shares her gift for minimal financial reward.

But I doubt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Smooth Wind

It's true what they say, ignorance is bliss!

I've been to a psychic a couple of times and the first time I went I was a complete skeptic and I was blown away by what was said to me.

I gave nothing away, the lady I went to see (who wasn't madam lisa) did all the talking, pieces of information just came pouring out of her mouth that she could not have known, that I had forgotten and only remembered as she would say it and this was all specific information. I was amazed.

The most recent time I went, I wasn't really too bothered about going and only went as a friend badly wanted to go. Again, I went in and gave nothing away, and again she blew me away with the accuracy of the information coming from her mouth that she could not have known. I didn't give her anything to go on, she did all the talking and again amazed me.

But, even though you come out feeling all amazed and stunned, everything you hear should be taken with a pinch of salt. It's entertainment really at the end of the day. You'd pay the same to go and see the circus. How you spend your money to be entertained is up to you.

I agree there are some con merchants out there but most of them exist in the form of some sort of salesman. I reckon there are more people feeling hard done by after purchasing a dodgy motor from the soundest person ever than there are people feeling ripped off from the likes of madam lisa.

Some people are scared of the unknown and unexplainable and choose to shun it rather than accept it exists and just ignore it if bothered by it.

May I ask who this psychic was? I would be interested in seeing her.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Good luck with that! This thread is over six years old at this stage!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,819 ✭✭✭phill106

An File wrote: »
    Good luck with that! This thread is over six years old at this stage!

How ironic would it be if the psychic popped in because she knew someone would be posting today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Went to Madam Lisa myself and have to say she was good.

She advised me to watch out, that someone in my life was going to try swindle me out of money.

Best €50 I ever spent.

Advertisement