Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Speech to Text software

• 01-07-2009 8:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭

Can anybody recommend a program that changes voice input into text: Example talking into a microphone and let the program convert the voice input into text, microsoft office or other opensource program if available thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I've only used one that was not free, so I'd like to hear of free ones and how good they are too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

AFAIK this is the best free one (open source).

Maybe an unpleasant experieence to get going though:
    http://freetts.sourceforge.net/docs/index.php

You can even modify it to your own voice if you have the time lol.

There is also one built into windows in control panel in vista, do a search for speech in search box on top right.

It should be in XP too somewhere. It came with SP2 or maybe 3 otherwise, you need to update badly (or if it isn't in either of those, you need to get a new version of .net framework).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,399 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

thebman wrote: »
    AFAIK this is the best free one (open source).

Maybe an unpleasant experieence to get going though:
    http://freetts.sourceforge.net/docs/index.php

You can even modify it to your own voice if you have the time lol.

There is also one built into windows in control panel in vista, do a search for speech in search box on top right.

It should be in XP too somewhere. It came with SP2 or maybe 3 otherwise, you need to update badly (or if it isn't in either of those, you need to get a new version of .net framework).

think that does the oposite to what the OP wants

used ibm viavoice years back, wasn't too bad, you might be able to get a trial version to test out

Oh sorry, read the whole thing the wrong way round lol.

Then you want one of the below.
    http://cmusphinx.sourceforge.net/html/cmusphinx.php

There is also the Microsoft Speech recognition system that comes with the TTS system I put in my previous post. Same steps will find it in Vista.

I'd recommend the Ms one first as it is quite advanced as Ms now own another open source project that was the leader in the area (it certainly isn't GPL BTW but Ms version of Open Source so read license agreement if your going to use it).

That project is here:
    http://htk.eng.cam.ac.uk/

It isn't a voice recognition system itself but the tools to make one. Oh Viavoice is now distributed by Nuance:
    http://www.nuance.com/naturallyspeaking/products/default.asp

• Closed Accounts Posts: 74 ✭✭zazzz

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,356 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

I've used Dragon in the past, but it's not freeware. Too many spelling and syntax errors. Of course you can edit after.

zazzz wrote: »

That just uses the SAPI from Ms, the same engine as the one built into windows.

OP are you looking for dictation or to control windows with speech recognition?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,272 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I know they use Naturally Speaking in school with some of the special needs kids and it seems to be OK. It's not free though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

I'm looking for a programme that will translate speech into text. I don't want to buy one mainly because I'm a skint student and secondly because I only want to use it for one set of interviews and never again.

Any suggestions for me would be hugely appreciated. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭topazblue

I've used Dragon in the past, but it's not freeware. Too many spelling and syntax errors. Of course you can edit after.

I also have this installed on my pc and have find it very useful!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 233 ✭✭fattestman

topazblue wrote: »
    I also have this installed on my pc and have find it very useful!

Thanks - a bit pricey for me though :(

fattestman wrote: »
    I'm looking for a programme that will translate speech into text. I don't want to buy one mainly because I'm a skint student and secondly because I only want to use it for one set of interviews and never again.

Any suggestions for me would be hugely appreciated. :)

The one built into windows is the best free one on the market. Just use that. It will work ok without training but would be better if you could get training.

It will produce errors but they all will.

You could use HTK toolkit to build your own but complicated and you need to know how to program in C++.

If you get Windows 7 or any of those you'll get free latest version of the speech recognition engine.

It is also in XP but slightly older version, still good though. You could use CMUSphinx if you are looking for a Java based one that will also work on Linux. Again you'll need to program in Java to use this one. Its the same with most of the free ones. If you just want a free one that works out of the box, Ms are about your only choice.

Advertisement