Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

thinking of going to thailand alone is it safe?

• 01-07-2009 8:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

hi all thinking of heading to thailand to do a small bit of backpacking last week in dec until end of jan i know its not long enough but its all the time i have my mates are tied down with girlfriends and kids so im thinking of going alone would it be safe im 28 male. also what could i see in this short amount of time thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

I would say it's safe for a 28 year old woman to go on her own, never mind a fella.

I never saw any crap over there in the the 5 weeks I spent in the country. The only thing that might be more prevalent over there is the stealing of wallets etc. But as for physical safety, I would say it's a lot safer than here.

And don't worry about being lonely or anything like that. You'll meet loads of people. I went to South America on my own for 2 months and it was a breeze.

Just go for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jus

im 90% there im just nervous about people looking at me like if i was to go for some thing to eat or a bar for a drink did you stay in the same spot what did you do for 5 weeks thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,414 ✭✭✭kraggy

2 days in Bangkok, Koh Samui for a couple of nights, Koh Phangnan for Full Moon Party for about a week I think, then over to Koh Phi Phi for 7/8 days, down to Ko Lanta for a few days, then up to Chang Mai and Pai and back to Bangkok.

5 (or 7?) weeks in total, which is about what you have.

Personally, I'd say get out of Bangkok as soon as you can. Islands in the south (all beginning with Koh or Ko) are for lazing on the beach and partying at night.

Up north (Chang Mai and Pai) for trekking and rafting and such things though I didn't do any of these.

The most popular islands are Koh Phangnan (FMP), Koh Samui (very commercial, crowded) and Koh Phi Phi, which is one of the prettiest places you'll see in your life.

I thought Chang Mai was ok but didn't see what everyone goes on about it for. Just another town with loads of drinking as far as I could see. Having said that, it is the base for outdoor activities such as trekking and I didn't do any of these. Pai is a small sleepy village 3 hours from Chang Mai which actually doesn't have anything significant there but you feel like you want to stay there. It's only got a few small streets but there's an extra friendly vibe there.

Wherever you go, just go to the communal areas and throw yourself out there and you may even end up meeting people who are going the same way as you and end up travelling with them for the few weeks.

airasia.com is the ryanair of the area. They are cheaper than them too. They go to loads of places within Thailand and abroad so if you're stuck for time and want to get to places quick instead of having to take overnight trains and stuff, they're great.

Note that bangkok airways have a monopoly (i think) to Koh Samui and are a lot more expensive. However, airasia go from Bangkok to the port Surat thani from which you get the ferry (30 mins) from the mainland to the island thus saving yourself a few bob.

I checked prices for some routes today and they were all around 25 to 35 euro all in for a single flight. Very good.

Any other questions, belt away.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭Up-n-atom!

jus wrote: »
    hi all thinking of heading to thailand to do a small bit of backpacking last week in dec until end of jan i know its not long enough but its all the time i have my mates are tied down with girlfriends and kids so im thinking of going alone would it be safe im 28 male. also what could i see in this short amount of time thanks

I hope it's safe, I'm 25 and female and I'm heading there in September (hopefully!). One of my friends (female again) went alone aged 21/22 and was fine, had the time of her life!

I'm just back from travelling around Europe (again, alone) - know it's a different kettle of fish, but have to stop being paranoid about being on your own, just got to get on with it! Anyways, you will meet people and won't be eating in restaurants on your own most of the time

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭jus

thanks guys hey kraggy can you recommend any places to stay?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 TillyTwanda

Up-n-atom! wrote: »
    I hope it's safe, I'm 25 and female and I'm heading there in September (hopefully!). One of my friends (female again) went alone aged 21/22 and was fine, had the time of her life!

I'm just back from travelling around Europe (again, alone) - know it's a different kettle of fish, but have to stop being paranoid about being on your own, just got to get on with it! Anyways, you will meet people and won't be eating in restaurants on your own most of the time

I'm the same I want to go to thailand next summer for 3 months i'm 20 and female, wasn't sure if it would be safe going alone... but your friend did it??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 james1983

Just travelled the world alone and did South East Asia.

Thailand and the surrounding countries are easy to do.

By the way single travellers you won't alone very long!Trust me - i was nervous before heading off and it turned out to be the best thing ever.

Thailand is super safe.

I'd avoid the islands to be honest - i thought they were horrific - twas like going to Crete or Santa Ponsa. The North is far better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 minimaldaz

skip the island???? the most beautiful part of thailand!
    i spent 3 months there last year and im heading back in october for as long as i can,

so jus, you got over a month which is loads to do thailand,

1st i would reccomend 2 - 3 days in bangkok see kho san ect, then head north to chang mai get the night train if your on a budget,
    Stay at 'Spicy Thai' Hostels great price and really nice people who run the place i still talk to them on facebook :)
    they will sort out treks, scooters ect..
    its a common hostel for people meet and decide to join up and head to the next place together so perfect for someone on there own,

then head straight for the islands, 1st ko thao then ko phangan dont forget a stop at mushroom mountain and i would recommend stay at the same end of the island where the full moon party is on because taxis are very expensive on the island,
    go to samui if you have time, then save the best for last Ko Phi Phi,
    when you get to ko phi phi you will have to visit the small island beside it where the film ' the beach ' was filmed, do the trip where you can stay the night on the island it was amazing!!! havent been to phuket and from what iv heard stay away,

like i said im off in october got the flights for less than 200 one way which if you book a two way ticket its still nearly half price the norm
    I booked a flight from stansted to kuala lumpur and then onto bangkok with airasia for 160 and a flight from here to stansted with ryain air for like 10 euros,
    if your wondering on budget 1200 is enough for a month if you dont mind staying in
    places with no air con and i drank nearly every night on that budget...

hope this was helpful its an amazing place i fell in love with it, i can wait heading straight to ko phagan when i get there

oh ya and im a 23 yr old male and i goin back on my own and its perfectly safe, safe for women safe for men dont fall out with the locals be nice and you will be fine,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,383 ✭✭✭S.M.B.

Thailand was recently announced as being the most dangerous holiday destinations for UK tourists due to the high number of injuries and casualties.

The reason the figures are so high are mainly down to one thing though, reckless motorbike driving.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,171 ✭✭✭Neamhshuntasach

S.M.B. wrote: »
    Thailand was recently announced as being the most dangerous holiday destinations for UK tourists due to the high number of injuries and casualties.

The reason the figures are so high are mainly down to one thing though, reckless motorbike driving.

I can well believe that. But if you avoid renting or moped or don't drive like a cabbage you'll be grand. I really don't know why everyone is bandaged up. Despite recent killings and bombs the country is probably safer than here.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 andywix

hey ive been out there , its safe as houses , im planning to go again in mid october , so if u are out and stuck for a guide mail me on andywix2000@yahoo.ie .... cnT wait to get back over there easy living mate

• Registered Users Posts: 9 TillyTwanda

thanks for all the advice guys i can't wait to go now :) !!! woo hoo

Advertisement