Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Horses - C&C Welcome

• 01-07-2009 8:33pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭

I spent a few hours on Monday photographing a friend's horses, my first time. It was a hot day so they were fairly quiet and not up for a lot of frolicking. I was quite scared of horses before... much less so now :). I plan on going back and would love to get some better shots for my friend so C&C very welcome - both on how I could have done better and what types of pics I should be looking for in the future.

Thanks

3678568567_5b2eea7533.jpg

3678610183_b73590e968.jpg

3679428178_7d59ecee1a.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,763 ✭✭✭Fenster

Those are beautiful horses, but there isn't any sense of connection between me and the subject.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 564 ✭✭✭WillyWonka

I like #3 the best, something going on. I also like the cropping of the first one, it should be a pretty ordinary photo but the cropping makes it much nicer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

make sure they are doing something or the scenery and horses make an interesting match. and dont be afraid to get down on the ground

heres one from last week (shot on neopan 400)1741a322335bc2d714aa4037d61e1513.jpg

i usually find a field with horses and just walk up to them and get to know them quickly. its always traveller horses and ponies for me tho, my brother has show-jumping horses but i havent shot them yet.
    no sudden movements or noises, never walk behind them, dont rush over to a foal too quickly. the mare stamped her feet(letting me know whos boss) a few times but she didnt mind after and the foal kept coming towards me but i had to keep backing away because i had an 85mm prime and the framing was wrong.

get comfortable with them and gain their trust, then use your camera. ive only had 1 encounter with the travellers a few years ago with 2 mares and 2 young foals less than a month old. they must have known me, they waved then drove away, i was freakin out a little but trying not to show it while i walked to the fence!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭dreamer_ire

Thanks for your comments folks. Kumate, I'll try again over the coming weeks and hopefully have the confidence to lie on the ground like your shot (which is lovely btw).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

Thanks for your comments folks. Kumate, I'll try again over the coming weeks and hopefully have the confidence to lie on the ground like your shot (which is lovely btw).

cool, it will prob be safe enough with a couple of horses that are tame/trained. just get comfortable standing first and then slowly get flat on the ground when you have the right shot. do it at a safe distance from the animal, they will usually come closer to you to see what you are doing so make sure you have the right lens focal length available. its messy when u have to move backwards on the ground.

• Advertisement
Advertisement