Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

fly to Oz with air asia

Options
  • 01-07-2009 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭

Hello,

I was just pricing a flight to Oz, and am unsure of when I will return, so was thinking of booking 1 way.

Ryanair
    Thu, 1 Oct 09
    FlightFR 298
    Depart:
    Dublin 21:15
    Arrive:
    London Stansted 22:25

€5 incl taxes but before baggage and CC

Air Asia

London(STN) to Kuala Lumpur LCCT(KUL)
    Fri 02 Oct 2009
    D7 2009
    Depart 0125
    Arrive 2125

139.00 GBP incl taxes

Stay at Tune Hotel beside the LCCT KUL airport
    http://www.tunehotels.com/
    About €20 for a night

Kuala Lumpur LCCT(KUL) to Melbourne(MEL)
    Sat 03 Oct 2009
    D7 2722
    Depart 1340
    Arrive 2330

107.21 GBP incl taxes

some relatively small extra charges for baggage etc. (maybe GBP 20 extra per flight)

It still seems quite cheap though...
    Thoughts?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 635 ✭✭✭johnor

Sounds like a great price but do ya not need to have flights booked on return as part of the visa?

I hope ya have a great trip, have fun in Kuala Lumpar - I hear the wildlife is fantastic....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I priced it up before. It's not worth the hassle to save a couple of euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭DamoDLK

My flight was only one way, and immigration didn't say a thing, the logic i reckon is that you may wish to return via a different destination i.e California etc..

I dunno, only i didn't have a return anyway..
    Damo

• Registered Users Posts: 531 ✭✭✭terencemc

You're fine with a 1 way ticket on the whv.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

can anyone show me a cheaper or similarly priced outbound to Australia - really having trouble finding reasonably priced flights!

• Advertisement

chump wrote: »
    can anyone show me a cheaper or similarly priced outbound to Australia - really having trouble finding reasonably priced flights!

Air Asia is apparently the only way. Contrary to my post above, they do very good deals - I can get from Dublin to Sydney for €345 one way. The major drawback is the layover times... they make the journey into a 60 hour marathon instead of a 22 hour hop.

Is it worth the €300 difference?

In response to my question above: NO!

The tickets went up to a total of €450 just before I booked, and with having to stay in a hotel in KL and expenses incurred (totalling about €100), along with the total of 60 hours between DUB and SYD it's just not worth it. So I booked Etihad DUB-SYD for €603. Well worth the slight price increase to reduce the stress levels by 80%.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,807 ✭✭✭chump

dub-london stanstead €49.36 (ryanair, 2 bags checked, entropay)
    london stan - LCCT (KL) €186.12
    LCCT (KL) - MEL €58.43
    Total = €293.91

All prices pasted from my CC statement and include FX charges, and baggae, taxes etc.

i plan to stay in the tune hotel - directly beside the LCCT airport, for about €20 - im waiting to get it cheaper as apparently they often do deals
    http://www.tunehotels.com/

I actually quite happy doing the hotel thing after the first leg and it will allow a good nights kip with the flight leaving a good time the next day.

Good luck with that, you must've booked months ago. I can only get it for the price I posted above above for September. Getting there in two sectors in 1/3 the time is well worth paying the extra €150 for me.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 13,018 ✭✭✭✭jank

Lads why dont you spread it out a bit. There are hundreds of flights to be had from KL to all parts of Asia. The flights are cheap and the other espenses are dirt cheap too. Unless one is in a rush to get to OZ I dont see the point of doing the trip all in one go. Have a few weeks in that part of the world first!

• Advertisement
Advertisement