Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL - DNS Lookups Slow

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭dacogawa

JayeL wrote: »
    Thanks a mil for that, dacogawa! Worked a charm!

No problem JayeL, i dont think this is the end of it yet,
    eircom seem to be chasing ghosts at the moment, if they came out and said 'we are having problems because of an attack, if it happens to you move over to the open DNS while attacks are happening (but come back after attacks, we are eircom, safe, secure & we love you :P)' do they not think that this would help the customer & make these attacks more meaningless ?

If everyone knew how to fix it when it happens (as it seems eircom dont), would the attackers keep it up when they know that everyone would have it fixed in 60 seconds ?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

kerbdog wrote: »
    I wouldn't use OpenDNS - they seem to hijack www.google.com queries. they put the searches through their servers first then tunnel them to Google.com.

FYI
    I'd like to see some proof of this please.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭RoadKillTs

I'd like to see some proof of this please.

So would I.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

i rang 1800200481 to log a complaint this morning and the first person i spoke with was downright rude and refused to give a complaint reference or even log my complaint as promised in eircoms charter, this person was rude and argumentative and wanted to give excuses and waffle on about how the broadband was working again so i should not complain now but ring up if it happened again! i explained this was the 2nd major outage but he still refused to give a complaint reference,

i hung up on him and the 2nd person i spoke with was very professional and took my complaint and logged it but only for eircom records as apparently eircom are not going to be acting on complaints recieved about these dns issues, this guy also freely gave the reference number and explained that eircom were looking into the issue but could not say if or when they would have any explanation.

more worrying they can not say if anyone's details or information has been compromised!
    eircom seem to be chasing ghosts at the moment, if they came out and said 'we are having problems because of an attack,
    Gerry Ryan seems to think it was a gang of spotty teens sticking their fingers up at eircom?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Do a Google search about it; check out http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=226 for some rants about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,850 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Mornin Campers,

Finally in the news re Hack BUT interesting paragraph at the end of this article:

http://www.siliconrepublic.com/news/article/13409/comms/eircom-hit-by-another-suspected-hacker-attack

"Telecom industry insiders have suggested that Eircom is particularly vulnerable to such an attack due to its highly contended network with minimal spam prevention and security against Denial of Service (DOS) attacks."

Aidan

Do a Google search about it; check out http://forums.opendns.com/comments.php?DiscussionID=226 for some rants about it.
    That thread is two years old and the second post confirms a permanent fix will be put in place for it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

mobius42 wrote: »
    The Eircom guy didn't say it was a DOS attack, but he did say that traffic was "10 times normal levels". It's hardly script kiddies with that level of traffic; probably a bot net. The deal with the record companies was the first thing I thought of too but it could just be someone doing it for the lulz.

The "10 times normal levels" sounds like alot of smoke and mirrors to make it sound outside Eircoms control. Of course if their DNS system is compromised in someway traffic levels will shoot up as everytime a browser fails to get a responce from a DNS server it tries again untill the operation times out. Most of that 10 times will be Eircoms own users trying and retrying to do a DNS lookup.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 504 ✭✭✭Loveless

OT: Looks like someone's been googling "Google" again :p

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wrQUWUfmR_I

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 prof_frink_2000

dacogawa wrote: »
    If everyone knew how to fix it when it happens (as it seems eircom dont), would the attackers keep it up when they know that everyone would have it fixed in 60 seconds ?

You have no idea how bad campanies treat security, there are networks out their that have not patched their software in years and businesses that keep your credit card numbers and bank details in an excel sheet. There are great laws for data protection in this country but they are never enforced. There are companies that are constantly targeted they spend a lot of time and good money protecting themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Jammyc

I wouldn't use OpenDNS - they seem to hijack www.google.com queries. they put the searches through their servers first then tunnel them to Google.com.

FYI
    I noticed something similar.
    Usually on firefox I just type in my search query into the url bar and it automatically brought me to google search or if it found a good enough match straight to what I was looking for and no, these werent things in the history. Since I switched to OpenDNS, it ALWAYS went to their search page.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 7,395 Mod ✭✭✭✭**Timbuk2**

Jammyc wrote: »
    Usually on firefox I just type in my search query into the url bar and it automatically brought me to google search or if it found a good enough match straight to what I was looking for and no, these werent things in the history. Since I switched to OpenDNS, it ALWAYS went to their search page.

Same.. but it's better than using a dns server that gets hacked every second week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,904 ✭✭✭cian1500ww

Jammyc wrote: »
    Yep thats the only thing that changes, I think thats how they make their money. I don't mind it anyway, beats UTV's or Eircom's DNS any day.

FYI

Kerbdog,

Read these:

http://www.labnol.org/software/browsers/prevent-opendns-google-redirects-firefox-address-bar-ie/2662/

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/09/30/useful-tips-to-prevent-opendns-from-redirecting-google-searches-in-firefox-and-internet-explorer/

Explanation for both Firefox and Internet Explorer. Its sort of related.

And then read this:

http://mrtopf.de/blog/web20/what-the-opendnsgoogle-problem-is-about/

What the OpenDNS/Google problem is about

Every system will have its fans and detractors, be it hardware, software, mp3 player, TV, car .. on and on .. DNS Servers are no different. No system is without its foibles. However, OpenDNS IS "Open Source / Free". My opinion for one is over the last 2 years has doen a good job. Its slick, it works. Speaking of foibles, lets face it - the Eircom DNS servers are not up to much these days.

One thing about the OPENDNS Servers to date, it is not vulnerable to the attacks Dan Kaminsky discovered.

Read about Dans discoveries here:

1st - http://software.silicon.com/security/0,39024655,39122803,00.htm

2nd - http://www.securosis.com/blog/dan-kaminsky-discovers-fundamental-issue-in-dns-massive-multivendor-patch-r

Cheers
    Aidan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,021 ✭✭✭shoegirl

Same.. but it's better than using a dns server that gets hacked every second week.

I very much doubt its "hacking" but its a better plausible excuse than admitting they are probably running crusty 10 year old DNS servers that either have corrupt DNS databases or are running out of disk space.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

shoegirl wrote: »
    I very much doubt its "hacking" but its a better plausible excuse than admitting they are probably running crusty 10 year old DNS servers that either have corrupt DNS databases or are running out of disk space.

considering the DNS server's where redirecting folk to dubious websites at one point it absolutely does look like some form of DNS poisoning.

the zone file's wouldn't use the space on the head of a match stick to store your explanation is highly unlikely

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Can someone tell me when i change the primary and secondary dns server is that all I change? When I did that it said my login failed. Does the ordinary eircom password need to be changed or anything?

I thought it was my laptop the last week having to much anti virus stuff on it that was causing all this slowdown and somepages loading wierd with missing images and stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,288 ✭✭✭✭ntlbell

joe123 wrote: »
    Can someone tell me when i change the primary and secondary dns server is that all I change? When I did that it said my login failed. Does the ordinary eircom password need to be changed or anything?

I thought it was my laptop the last week having to much anti virus stuff on it that was causing all this slowdown and somepages loading wierd with missing images and stuff.

my login failed too when i tried i just re-applied it and it worked.

joe123 wrote: »

Same username and password applies - eircom, broadband1 - I think. Just retry once or twice ..

Nothing else needs changing.

By the way for those wondering "OH GOD, how can I revert back ... panic" - before changing take note OF WHATS THERE BEFORE YOU CHANGE IT, write it down. If the DNS Fields are Blank remember this, if they say 0.0.0.0, remember this. Then if you want to change back dump the OPEN DNS IP addresses, reinstate what was originally there, save and reboot. Job done!

Aidan

aidanodr wrote: »
    Same username and password applies - eircom, broadband1 - I think. Just retry once or twice ..

Nothing else needs changing.

By the way for those wondering "OH GOD, how can I revert back ... panic" - before changing take note OF WHATS THERE BEFORE YOU CHANGE IT, write it down. If the DNS Fields are Blank remember this, if they say 0.0.0.0, remember this. Then if you want to change back dump the OPEN DNS IP addresses, reinstate what was originally there, save and reboot. Job done!

Aidan
    It's eircom@eircom.net and broadband1.

• Advertisement

cpu-dude wrote: »
    It's eircom@eircom.net and broadband1.

Might be, but "eircom, broadband1" works fine too:

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/images/helppass.htm

"After 5th May 2004

username/password
    eircom/broadband1

All customers setup after the 5th Of May 2004 will now use a Generic username and password. The username will be eircom and the password broadband1
    "

Aidan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

my net was down all yesterday evening and night, this is getting a bit ridiculous,
    even more frustrating when your running deep in a poker tournament!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭KeRbDoG

Its a "free" service from OpenDNS so this is a way for them to make cash.

I don't like the idea of someone hijacking my DNS queries - kinda against the point. Yes Eircom sucks, but before these recient outages haven't they been fairly good?

Mr.Kaminsky findings are old now - majority of major DNS servers where updated before he went live with the hack he found. Even the update that everyone has implemented isn't a complete fix, there is still a chance of someone using his hack even on an updated server - it would just take a huge amount of time. Maybe this is what the attack was against Eircom?

If only there was a free, un-doctored DNS service/solution......
    aidanodr wrote: »
    Kerbdog,

Read these:

http://www.labnol.org/software/browsers/prevent-opendns-google-redirects-firefox-address-bar-ie/2662/

http://www.mydigitallife.info/2008/09/30/useful-tips-to-prevent-opendns-from-redirecting-google-searches-in-firefox-and-internet-explorer/

Explanation for both Firefox and Internet Explorer. Its sort of related.

And then read this:

http://mrtopf.de/blog/web20/what-the-opendnsgoogle-problem-is-about/

What the OpenDNS/Google problem is about

Every system will have its fans and detractors, be it hardware, software, mp3 player, TV, car .. on and on .. DNS Servers are no different. No system is without its foibles. However, OpenDNS IS "Open Source / Free". My opinion for one is over the last 2 years has doen a good job. Its slick, it works. Speaking of foibles, lets face it - the Eircom DNS servers are not up to much these days.

One thing about the OPENDNS Servers to date, it is not vulnerable to the attacks Dan Kaminsky discovered.

Read about Dans discoveries here:

1st - http://software.silicon.com/security/0,39024655,39122803,00.htm

2nd - http://www.securosis.com/blog/dan-kaminsky-discovers-fundamental-issue-in-dns-massive-multivendor-patch-r

Cheers
    Aidan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Changed back to 0.0.0.0 as Eircom is back up but is good to know about open DNS if needed again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

I changed to OpenDNS and everything seems to be running well. Do it soon before your internet goes kaputt again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭jpfahy

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Changed back to 0.0.0.0 as Eircom is back up but is good to know about open DNS if needed again.

Why change back?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

jpfahy wrote: »
    Why change back?

Why not :confused:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭Flukey

A frustrating night of getting in and out of the net.:o I've registered on the OpenDNS website and will try it next time this happens. Hopefully there won't be a next time, but it is the second time it has happened to me of late.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 thanatos

I concur with blubloblu...everyone should use OpenDNS...all the time

I am not sure that people realise just serious this is.

If people are getting redirected to sites other than the ones they expected to see, then there exists the possibility that they could get redirected to a site that looks exactly like the one they expected, but is there only for the purpose of gathering users details...think aib.ie etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11 chickenrun

Without reading the previous 31 pages ... how secure would opendns be in comparison ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement