Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eircom DSL - DNS Lookups Slow

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,797 ✭✭✭runswithascript

That's not a factory reset, a factory reset would be carrying out the same operation 5 times.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

LA3G wrote: »
    That's not a factory reset, a factory reset would be carrying out the same operation 5 times.

Any chance I can get an answer? :)

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,497 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Why was my thread amended as a post to the end of another thread?

I realise they're about the same issue but mine is a fix and now someone looking quickly for it will have to read through 500 other posts and if they're still awake they may find the solution.

Changing DNS servers on your router and rebooting your machine is also a fix (reboot generally not required), people are unlikely to need your unnecessarily long "fix" to resolve a simple dns issue.

Its a simple dns issue after all

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,713 ✭✭✭✭jor el

It was merged because it belongs in this thread. Whether it's the right solution or not, I couldn't say.

Sully wrote: »
    Any chance I can get an answer? :)

Because a simple powercycle of the modem in place of a reset hasn't been resolving it for a lot of customers where as the reset is an instant winner!

A single reset only puts it back to the default Eircom settings whereas five times in a row will put do a factory reset back to the default Netopia settings which won't help things :)

• Advertisement

Cabaal wrote: »
    Changing DNS servers on your router and rebooting your machine is also a fix (reboot generally not required), people are unlikely to need your unnecessarily long "fix" to resolve a simple dns issue.

Its a simple dns issue after all

How does changing the DNS servers consume any less time then flushing the DNS?

Also you put fix in quotes, are you implying it's not one?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Because a simple powercycle of the modem in place of a reset hasn't been resolving it for a lot of customers where as the reset is an instant winner!

A single reset only puts it back to the default Eircom settings whereas five times in a row will put do a factory reset back to the default Netopia settings which won't help things :)

So the problem is the Eircom settings that were altered then? Seems to go completely against what Eircom have said.
    How does changing the DNS servers consume any less time then flushing the DNS?

Also you put fix in quotes, are you implying it's not one?

The resetting of the router, power cycle, flushing and altering DNS - the fix for most has been altering the DNS and if need be then flushing the old DNS cache. No need to give a big list of things, confusing folk etc. Its not the exact fix (unless I am missing something).

So the problem is the Eircom settings that were altered then? Seems to go completely against what Eircom have said.

I never said the default Eircom settings needed to be changed, only that the modem needed to be reset which would restore the default Eircom settings. The reason for the reset is to perform general maintenance on the modem which may or may not be required, this varies depending on the case, why leave it to chance?

The resetting of the router, power cycle, flushing and altering DNS - the fix for most has been altering the DNS and if need be then flushing the old DNS cache. No need to give a big list of things, confusing folk etc. Its not the exact fix (unless I am missing something).

I'm not suggesting altering the DNS and flushing it, the flush will take care of that.

Listen I've done this hundreds of times over the last few days which is probably more than most who have posted on this issue including you and I can assure you leaving out any of the steps I outlined has resulted in a negative result for some customers.

I was just trying to help and now I don't know why I bothered. I will leave you guys alone to cry about Eircom, argue amongst yourselves and compare each other's e-penises.

I never said the default Eircom settings needed to be changed, only that the modem needed to be reset which would restore the default Eircom settings. The reason for the reset is to perform general maintenance on the modem which may or may not be required, this varies depending on the case, why leave it to chance?

That contradicts what you said. You think resetting the settings back to default may be a fix. Thats changing the settings. In most cases that I have came across - a move to OpenDNS avoided the problems Eircom are having. It seems from what I read, Eircom are giving out OpenDNS settings now?
    I'm not suggesting altering the DNS and flushing it, the flush will take care of that.

Flushing the DNS will not avoid the DDoS or hack attack on Eircoms DNS. Which is the main problem. Flusing DNS is only useful if the cache is messed up from Eircom which was an older problem.
    Listen I've done this hundreds of times over the last few days which is probably more than most who have posted on this issue including you and I can assure you leaving out any of the steps I outlined has resulted in a negative result for some customers.

You know my work load, how? Iv been helping folk and on and off the board, and my resolution has worked in every case related. You may be dealing with another problem and somehow linking it with this.
    I was just trying to help and now I don't know why I bothered. I will leave you guys alone to cry about Eircom, argue amongst yourselves and compare each other's e-penises.

Most will point out flaws in peoples advise that will cause more headaches for customers, which is what you are doing. Moving to OpenDNS is the simple solution as the problems lie with Eircoms DNS. Flushing your local cache wont fix Eircoms problems.

Plus, my e-penis is bigger then yours will ever be so dont even go there matey!

I don't think there's anything required other than change the DNS settings on the modem, and then reboot your computer. That's all I've ever done when changing DNS servers, and it's never failed. Rebooting the modem, resetting the modem, flushing the DNS cache, should not be needed (though flushing the cache doesn't hurt).

• Advertisement

jor el wrote: »
    I don't think there's anything required other than change the DNS settings on the modem, and then reboot your computer. That's all I've ever done when changing DNS servers, and it's never failed. Rebooting the modem, resetting the modem, flushing the DNS cache, should not be needed (though flushing the cache doesn't hurt).

A reboot of your PC is never really needed anyway. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

A reboot of your PC is never really needed anyway. :)

Also, bear in mind that some people will have DNS settings on their PC/Laptops, if they are using Static IP's, for Torrents, etc.

They may have disabled DHCP to allow for port fordwarding, etc.

So, it is virtually impossible to give instructions for every instance, just general solutions which will suit most people.

There are so many different router/PC/Laptop combinations.

After all, people will do their own research, once pointed in the correct direction, which in this instance, seems to be a combo of DDoS and DNS poisoning.

The question is, has the ISP which is taking all our money put in place industry-standard solutions, developed over the last year on DNS, which go a long way to tackling the known issues.

If not, why not.

There should be answers to legitimate questions regarding these outages, not just spin and obfuscation, treating customers with comtempt :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

The question is, has the ISP which is taking all our money put in place industry-standard solutions, developed over the last year on DNS, which go a long way to tackling the known issues.

If not, why not.

There should be answers to legitimate questions regarding these outages, not just spin and obfuscation, treating customers with comtempt :mad:

Why don't you ask them? You've asked the question here enough times. Perhaps when you get an answer from eircom you can report back. Conjecture and assumptions help no one.

That contradicts what you said. You think resetting the settings back to default may be a fix. Thats changing the settings.

This is the second time I'm clarifying for you the reset doesn't just reset the settings to the default, read the previous post slowly.
    In most cases that I have came across - a move to OpenDNS avoided the problems Eircom are having. It seems from what I read, Eircom are giving out OpenDNS settings now?

Eircom are not giving out OpenDNS settings unless someone spoke with a rogue agent. Besides OpenDNS is insecure, it redirects google, and it covertly copies your requests so it can target advertising to you. Why on earth would anyone recommend that? Perhaps you thought it was a non profit organistation.
    Flushing the DNS will not avoid the DDoS or hack attack on Eircoms DNS.

It will undo it client side.
    Which is the main problem. Flusing DNS is only useful if the cache is messed up from Eircom which was an older problem.

So why does it resolve the issue?
    You know my work load, how? Iv been helping folk and on and off the board, and my resolution has worked in every case related. You may be dealing with another problem and somehow linking it with this.

I don't care to know, I'm stating my methord which I know to work 100% of the time unless there's an underlying issue and that your method works at the flip of a coin. Okay, it probably works more than 50% but it still leaves it to chance. Tails you lose :(
    Most will point out flaws in peoples advise that will cause more headaches for customers, which is what you are doing.

You're right, this is me pointing out flaws in your advice.
    Moving to OpenDNS is the simple solution as the problems lie with Eircoms DNS.

Yes, if you want your spam to be targetted at you. Try reading something about OpenDNS on the internet that is not from www.opendns.com.
    Flushing your local cache wont fix Eircoms problems.

No, it will just fix the customer's problems and make their internet work. How about we leave Eircom's problems to Eircom?

This is the second time I'm clarifying for you the reset doesn't just reset the settings to the default, read the previous post slowly.

I have read what you posted previously, and I still don't know why you would want to reset the modem. Resetting to default eircom settings won't fix the DNS issue, as you'll end up with the same broken servers again. All you need to do is change the DNS server settings, and job done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭ttm

Eircom are not giving out OpenDNS settings unless someone spoke with a rogue agent. Besides OpenDNS is insecure, it redirects google, and it covertly copies your requests so it can target advertising to you. Why on earth would anyone recommend that? Perhaps you thought it was a non profit organistation.

I don't care to know, I'm stating my methord which I know to work 100% of the time unless there's an underlying issue and that your method works at the flip of a coin. Okay, it probably works more than 50% but it still leaves it to chance. Tails you lose :(

Yes, if you want your spam to be targetted at you. Try reading something about OpenDNS on the internet that is not from www.opendns.com.

No, it will just fix the customer's problems and make their internet work. How about we leave Eircom's problems to Eircom?

You are funny :rolleyes:

Resetting a router, ROTFL the router isn't broken!

It would be just as easy to add Eircom DNS settings on the local PC which will do EVERYTHING you are suggesting including flushing the DNS cache without all the hassel of reseting the router and putting back Wireless settings. Then next time the DNS gets screwed just do a connection repair which also flushes the cache.

BUT THE PROBLEM IS EIRCOMS DNS SERVERS which need fixing so using openDNS is a viable fix and you only need to change the DNS settings on the local computer and can leave a working router alone.

Shock horror openDNS might be trying to make some money out of their free service when users are dumb enough to type in a bad url, so I guess you don't use Google as they log everthing you do and feed you advertising?

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

and it covertly copies your requests so it can target advertising to you. Why on earth would anyone recommend that? Perhaps you thought it was a non profit organistation.
    Seeing as Google does the exact same thing, I'm curious as to why you don't have a problem with them doing it?
    The issue in this thread (unless I've missed something) is that Eircom's DNS servers have been unresponsive and/or poisoned. Nothing you can do client-side is going to fix that. The obvious workaround is to use a different set of DNS servers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Flushing DNS cache will only work after eircom fix their DNS poisoning issues at the time. So it works, slowly by all accounts, until the next time the script kiddies get to work. And it won't solve the problems of Denial of Service attacks.

I don't trust what OpenDNS do either, as at the end of the day they're working with a business model and they'll have to earn a few shillings off the back of the massive userbase somehow or other. Google don't log everything one does, that's just being flippant. And not everything one does on the web goes through Google. With OpenDNS, every request for info on the web does.

The point is, that's fair enough if you don't like OpenDNS terms of service. Your perogative. But what's wrong with using Level3 DNS (e.g. 4.2.2.2)?? They work just as well as OpenDNS in my experience, and there's no redirections done either! Win win.

Eircom have proved themselves to be incompetent at meeting the DNS needs of every customer, so eircom customers should change over to either service of their choosing if they want a faster and more stable browsing experience.

java wrote: »
    Why don't you ask them? You've asked the question here enough times. Perhaps when you get an answer from eircom you can report back. Conjecture and assumptions help no one.

Would that be the same as asking you, as you seem to jump to eircom's defence very often? Do you work for them?

If you do, perhaps you can let us know if the DNS servers have been patched?

Is it legitimate for customers to ask these questions on a public forum?

In fact, asking questions on this forum does seem to elicit some sort of reply from eircom, as can be seen by the reactions on almost all media reporting on the latest eircom outages. This forum, and particularly this thread, got a lot of mention.
    Eircom users vented their frustration on numerous sites around the internet including social networking site Twitter and Boards.ie, complaining about how the incident was handled.

In my posts, I "assumed" that there was a problem with eircoms DNS servers. I advised users to switch to OpenDns.

This solved the problem for the majority of users.

My "conjecture" was that eircom had not patched their servers to help them fight server poisoning attacks, as had been recommended within the Industry more than a year ago.

Are you saying that the assumption on my part "helped no one"?

Are you also saying that my "conjecture" is inaccurate?
    Mr Bradley said the telecoms company was taking to steps to try to prevent similar attacks in the future, including software patches and hardware adjustments.

see here.

Okay okay. Ill read it slowly this time. Reading a word, pausing for three seconds and reading the next word, this is what I have;

I never said the default Eircom settings needed to be changed, only that the modem needed to be reset which would restore the default Eircom settings.

Hrm.. Two lines seem to contradict each other. The first suggests you never said to restore the router to default Eircom settings - but your second line states the opposite - that a reset, which you recommend, WOULD restore default Eircom settings. So, by recommending something that does such, you are effectively doing such.
    Eircom are not giving out OpenDNS settings unless someone spoke with a rogue agent.

May have read that part wrong.
    Besides OpenDNS is insecure, it redirects google, and it covertly copies your requests so it can target advertising to you. Why on earth would anyone recommend that? Perhaps you thought it was a non profit organistation.

Redirects Google? What do you mean? Thousands of websites do what OpenDNS does in terms of focus advertising, even Google - its how they make money. Why on earth would anyone recommend that? Because most people want working internet and if that means switching from Eircoms DNS to OpenDNS which would allow them browse the internet - people will bloody well do it! Do you honestly **** around with your clients routers by resetting the router and instead of switching them to OpenDNS recommend they "Sit tight, Eircom will have it fixed in a few weeks"?!

OpenDNS is used by thousands of people across the world, is fully secure and much more reliable (CLEARLY in this case alone) then most ISPs which in my experience frequently fault. If there was ANYTHING dodgy against OpenDNS it would NOT be used by thousands of people. Its used due to its reliability and because it doesn't, usually, **** up and cause harm.

Well done! But guess what? The problem is on Eircoms side - not the clients. Therefore, flushing the DNS will not usually have much benefit (circumstance depending). But guess what will? Moving DNS providers! Shock. Horror.

Its a separate issue and obviously the circumstances in that case called for it. Since you seem clueless in what you are saying, god only knows what you were doing. But my advise has worked in pretty much all cases and is recommended by many other people within IT.

More then 50% and I lose? Jesus, you need to brush up on statistics dude. 99% of this topic has given out my advise. Shock horror, the results came back that the fix I recommend (as do many others here) - WORKS. So, how is it in that every case that has arisen here in relation to not being able to get the correct website (DNS Poisoning of Eircoms DNS - and you think OpenDNS isn't safe!) or sluggish performance in getting to websites that our fix works? More then 50% here, clearly, found our advise correct.

Your the only one in this topic spouting out nonsense and useless advise which is more hassle and is not the fix. Jesus almighty, clearing your local cache will not fix Eircoms DNS. Resetting back to, pretty much the SAME settings on an Eircom router, will NOT work. Why? Because the problem lie on the Eircom server and NOT!!!!! the local machine. For crying out loud even Eircom have said its THEIR problem. Are they flawed too?

Your advise is incorrect.

So we should avoid Google and thousands of Google Advert based website then? You will probably ask why - because both Google and mannnnnnnny others do the EXACT SAME THING! OpenDNS NEEDS CASH and provides ADVERTS (god forbid) to do this.

One more thing - Boards.ie also has targeted "spam" at its userbase. Quick! Tinfoil hat and duck for cover!

Oh for crying out loud. I REALLY hope you are not suggesting that while its a problem with Eircom, resetting a router will fix the problem and give internet access back. It doesn't add up. Its like saying 2+2=5. If Eircom isnt working, then you can be damned sure that the router (unless its from the School of Hogwarts!) isn't going to be able to kick Eircom back into shape and get the internet working!

Ill assume you just leave your customers suffer without internet because you fear the consequences of targeted advertising which they come across on a daily basis anyway. Tinfoil hat ftw!

ARGH!!!! Flushing DNS DOES NOT CHANGE DNS SETTINGS!!!!!!!!!!! Its two COMPLETELY separate areas.

How odd. In every case here and outside of Boards, my settings have worked perfect! How? Because I have an understanding of how the internet works, how DNS works and how your local PC/Router connects to the interweb. I understand that 1) Changing your settings wont fix Eircoms problems, 2) Changing your settings wont give you internet if Eircom is down, 3) The solution is to bypass the area on Eircom causing the problem, 4) Flushing DNS does not create new DNS servers or fix broken DNS servers.

Carry on what you are doing though - decent IT folk will get your future business when your clients get fed up that you wont fix their problem and instead making their life more difficult and clearly has no clue.

1) Your advise was crap and incorrect,
    2) Eircom are at fault - paying customers have every right to get annoyed,
    3) As I said, you cant compare with mine. Its far to big for you to even match it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Sully, well said!

Top of the class, Sully.

Let's "route" out these charlatans

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,012 ✭✭✭✭thebman

I use OpenDNS as my secondary DNS server on any connection because it just works.

I'd recommend it to anyone having problem with eircoms DNS.

They are saying is DDOS attack. If so do people think this is part of the majorly public affair with the music associations that ended up on torrentfreak?

A user there could easily have the ability to perform such an attack and would obviously not like eircom.

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

thebman wrote: »
    They are saying is DDOS attack. If so do people think this is part of the majorly public affair with the music associations that ended up on torrentfreak?

A user there could easily have the ability to perform such an attack and would obviously not like eircom.
    Pretty unlikely imo.

Most of the DDOSes I've been hearing about recently get traced to leased botnets and have monetary gain as the ultimate goal...apart from the attacks on government servers.

I've never heard of anyone making money out of pirated music, so there's no natural connection between the two - if anyone has evidence to the contrary I'd be very interested to see it.

I'd say this is either a simple case of monetary gain - either extortion or a clumsy attempt to boost ad revenue - or someone testing out a botnet.

/theorycrafting

• Registered Users Posts: 319 ✭✭java

Would that be the same as asking you, as you seem to jump to eircom's defence very often? Do you work for them?

No I don't work for eircom. I'm a customer experiencing the same problems like most of the people here.
    My "conjecture" was that eircom had not patched their servers to help them fight server poisoning attacks, as had been recommended within the Industry more than a year ago.

Are you saying that the assumption on my part "helped no one"?

Are you also saying that my "conjecture" is inaccurate?

see here.

I do however work in IT, and know that "software patches" could relate to anything - routers, switches, servers etc. So yes, your conjecture and your assumption in this instance is inaccurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

Your logic is almost there, but it still doesn't prove how any assumption was made in implying eircom were remiss in their technical duties to customers. A well-publicised DNS flaw was revealed about a year ago, and a patch which mitigated it was released weeks afterwards. Now, a problem appears with eircom that would be the result of eircom not applying the patch takes place.

Even if the DNS poisoning did not result from the exploit, there were was a pre-existing issue that allowed some sort of cybercrime to take place. DNS poisonings don't take place unless the ISP has ****ed up. Or else the tiny chance that eircom are the first victims of a new way to poison DNS servers.

The only conjecture that exists is over what the exact problem was, and what eircom are going to do to prevent the avoidable from happening again. So how about asking eircon... Knowing eircom, the front line staff won't have any understanding of the questions involved. And the 2nd line staff will probably just give the press release answer, which we know is not the full answer.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Heres a probably stupid question but ever since Eircom went down and came back the amount of spam email Im getting in my Eircom mailbox has shot up.
    For example yesterday I received over 100 spam mails--it used to be maybe 5 to 10 a day.
    Any idea if there could be a connection between the two?

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭Antrim_Man

Hellrazer wrote: »
    Heres a probably stupid question but ever since Eircom went down and came back the amount of spam email Im getting in my Eircom mailbox has shot up.
    For example yesterday I received over 100 spam mails--it used to be maybe 5 to 10 a day.
    Any idea if there could be a connection between the two?

Did you change the DNS settings???????

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hellrazer

Antrim_Man wrote: »
    Did you change the DNS settings???????

Nope--I didnt change anything.Just waited for it to start working again :)

• Advertisement

So yes, your conjecture and your assumption in this instance is inaccurate.
    In my posts, I "assumed" that there was a problem with eircoms DNS servers. I advised users to switch to OpenDns.

This solved the problem for the majority of users.

Which part of my assumption quoted above is inaccurate?
    I do however work in IT, and know that "software patches" could relate to anything - routers, switches, servers etc.

So, given the fact that eircom has been the subject of an admitted sustained hack attack, which has compromised their DNS servers, and which was fixed by users switching to alternatives like OpenDns, eircom have been busily applying software patches to their

a) routers,

b) switches, or

c) DNS servers

Even without an IT background the answer should be pretty obvious.

Perhaps the IT background clouds your common sense judgement?

But, perhaps you are correct and eircom are patching everrything but their DNS servers. Then we really do have cause to worry.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement