Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How old were you when you realised your orientation?

Options
  • 01-07-2009 8:53pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4

Im just curious as to weither there are other people who found out at a young age. A girl from my primary school came out as a bisexual at 11 or 12 years old which I feel made her very mature. I didn't really care at the time (that was actually the day when i found out what bisexual meant).

Anyway, I found out about a month after my 13th birthday. Before then i never really thought about being with a guy...i didn't want to because i was afraid that i might like the thought...so far I've only came out to 2 people, i think another friend found out though. I was hoping one of my friends (who never shut up) would out me but we havn't really talked about it...i think it made him feel a bit uncomfortable.

So how old were you when you realised? And say how if you feel like it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,703 ✭✭✭✭L1011

eh, suppose I knew when I was about 13. I think. Was nearly 16 before I "did" anything though, including telling people.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,610 ✭✭✭Rick_

About 12 I think. I was 18 before anyone knew and 20 before I ever kissed a guy. The problem with living in a repressed s**thole I suppose!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

I was 11 when I knew I liked girls, took a few years later to cop that I liked boys too.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

16, but denied everything until my early 20s.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 842 ✭✭✭Weidii

"Found out", ie. hit puberty when I was eleven or twelve. Didn't admit it to myself 'til I was seventeen or so and didn't tell others 'til I was twenty. Good times.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 329 ✭✭!!!

I knew I was gay my whole life. Finally outed myself at 16. The end :pac:.

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭Starfox

i like cake

• Registered Users Posts: 8,488 ✭✭✭Goodshape

Weidii wrote: »
    "Found out", ie. hit puberty when I was eleven or twelve. Didn't admit it to myself 'til I was seventeen or so and didn't tell others 'til I was twenty. Good times.
    Pretty much the same as this. Seems a few years between realizing, accepting, and telling people is the 'norm'.
    Starfox wrote: »
    i like cake
    And also this. Mmmmm... cake.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Aoifums

I've liked girls since I was 12, but went into complete "I'm straight and I like boys not girls" mode until I was 15. Didn't admit it until the end of last year and I'm only out to less than 10 people.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

I realised that I liked guys when I was about 11. Stopped fantasising about girls completely when I was 13 or so. Told my friends when I was 15, and my immediate family when I was 19.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭DubArk

I was about 13 i think when i realised that I like guys. Early 20's before i did anything about it. The Start.... :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 maxi19

I always found myself attracted to females as a child and early teens. The notion of boys came to light when I was about 14 and I eventually came out as bisexual at 16. 19 now and still looking for love! Although I still find myself sexually attracted to females I can't imagine being in any sort of long term relationship with them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 49 common_parlance

I had crushes in primary school on the other boys, but I don't think I knew back then. I basically started to realise when the hormones started to kick in, around 12 I guess? It wasn't like the flick of a switch or anything, more of a gradual transition from knowing deep down to being blatantly aware.

I told my first person at 16, slowly told more friends, then accelerated a bit before finally telling my mother, my "final act" of coming out, at 20.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,682 ✭✭✭LookingFor

Was 'curious' about men before, but think I realised what gay was and that I was probably gay around 11/12/13. Puberty, basically, along with the growing knowledge one has then about sexuality via peers and film and tv etc.

I do remember being quite a bit younger and feeling an odd curiousity about the male naked form though..I just had no idea what 'gay' was or meant.

Without being crude, despite those early feelings I remember when I started masturbating, I was trying to think of women, or looking at women on TV or whatever.. and I remember thinking this was quite exhausting and not that much fun. But I figured this was how sex worked..I didn't fully realise it wasn't normal not to be turned on so much. And then it 'clicked' when I looked at men..and there was no turning back ;)

Was a pretty crappy time when that innocence was lost and I realised all the baggage being gay carried though.

Advertisement