Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network attached storage device

• 01-07-2009 8:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭

Hello.. I'm sick of gambling with the safety of my photos (I have them on an external hard drive, identical to my husband's which went crash bang wallop last night). I'm looking for a NAS which can hold 2 hdds and allows for a raid setup. The ability to hot swap to allow offsite backups would be nice, but not essential. Anyone know the cheapest place to find such a beauty?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

Hi Quackles,

This whole area is very tricky. Please keep in mind that hard drive failure, although common, isn't the only way you can lose valuable data. Obvious other ones are theft, fire, flood. Not trying to preach or be a pessimist but I have seem all these happen.

If you are hell bent on a NAS, have a look at this one.
    http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=340587
    I haven't read reviews so I can't comment but it looks like it fits the bill.

I have my pictures stored on two separate computer at my house and have burned DVD's that are stored in my parents house also. All a bit manual for the moment but safe nonetheless.

There is software that will mirror a folder on two computers which I want to implement and online backup would be great also but I currently have 150GB of photos alone, so I would be a long time syncing the first time and it would be expensive.

Hope this helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 298 ✭✭brophya2007

I have purchased the below and using for the last year.

http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=341616

I use it mainly to store photos, music and video and stream them through my XBOX.

It also has RAID capability and think it can hold up to 2TB.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭iwb

I didn't go into it as I didn't want to complicate the answer too much (there is so much out there after all). I have an XBOX running XBMC also. Best 90 euro I ever spent.

I use a first generation EEE netbook and an external USB drive for storage as this allows me to run whatever I want myself. The lot draws around 20 watts, so it is quite power efficient. I don't think I can have raid with two usb hard drives but as I said, I mirror over my home network to another pc in the house.

I looked at so many NAS devices before settling on my current solution that I was fed up searching and none of them was quite what I needed. It does cost more but you can pick up an Acer One for under €200 now that is factory refurbished.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,150 ✭✭✭kumate_champ07

http://elara.ie/products/detailsfull.asp?productcode=ECE1429784
    2 bays.
    106euro, u can collect from there wharehouse our have it delivered.

Advertisement