Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What good diesels are out there? Recommend me one

• 01-07-2009 8:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭

Hello.

Currently have a '04 Skoda Octavia, 1.9 TDI.

Was looking to trade up to maybe a '07 or '08 car. I'd spend money for a good car. I do fair bit of driving between work and leisure pursuits ;)
    I don't have family or anything

Have been looking around garages and the net at prices etc, but not sure about some makes and models.

Recommend me a good diesel car.

Cheers in advance

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,220 ✭✭✭✭Lex Luthor

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,656 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

EDIT: apart from one you might be selling yourself...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73,480 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

I'm with Lex on this one. the GT is worth a look.

better than a bleedin silver Passat anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 935 ✭✭✭samsemtex

EDIT: apart from one you might be selling yourself...

Well in fairness you asked for good diesels and that alfa probably has the best diesel engine out there at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

samsemtex wrote: »
    Well in fairness you asked for good diesels and that alfa probably has the best diesel engine out there at the moment.

plus its also a stunning car as well, which is something you dont generally get with your average diesel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,924 ✭✭✭Nforce

BMW 530d...535d if you can stretch to it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,267 ✭✭✭DubTony

A friend just came by in his 06 Volvo S40. It's a 2.0 diesel 6 speed manual. That's one sweet ride. His is well looked after with 95k km on it, but it's a great car and goes like a bat out of hell. You might check one out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,313 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

yes that fiat 1.9 turbo diesel is a great engine is fantastic. its also in the saab 93 aswell, which is another car you may want to look into.

Im just waiting for a VAG head to say how the 1.9tdi is the diesel out there, and how fast it is and how many million miles per gallon he can get out of it ect ect ect......

I still think they sound like a tractor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

samsemtex wrote: »

Really? Why (honest question, not trolling!)?

• Advertisement

mmmmm. what are those Alfas like for reliability etc?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

mmmmm. what are those Alfas like for reliability etc?

The only issue from HonestJohn is

On 1.9JTDM timing belt drives waterpump and waterpump failure can fling it off in as little as 40k miles, wrecking the engine.

that just means do the T-Belt and waterpump at 39k miles and seems to be across all makes with that engine (ie SAAB,etc)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 751 ✭✭✭Hotwheels

The 1.9 JTDm 16 valves are pretty much bullett proof, cam belt changes for the diesel are round 60K miles. (120,000Km in my 08 service book)
    both of the 159's I've had burn no oil between services and return 41-43 real world MPG...

If you have kids I'd go for a 159, more room than a GT....either car is worth a serious look though...
    best of luck in the hunt

voxpop wrote: »
    The only issue from HonestJohn is

that just means do the T-Belt and waterpump at 39k miles and seems to be across all makes with that engine (ie SAAB,etc)

the interval quoted for mine is 72k miles. Haven't heard yet of one them throwing the belt. I might be biased but I have to say the quality is far better than my previous 156. Everything just fits together better and feels a lot more solid. There are many happy GT owners out there...check out www.alfaowner.com for more info

Lex Luthor wrote: »
    I might be biased but I have to say the quality is far better than my previous 156.

I think its the general consensus that the Gt and 159 are in a different league to the 156s and older where quality is concerned.

I heard that they were heavy though (159 this is ) and not as good handling-wise as the 156. Not sure how true that is tbh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

Try and get yourself an 08 rather than an 07 for tax purposes. Should save you a few hundred quid per year and be easier to sell when the time comes also.

Honda Accord/Civic 2.2 iCTDI btw :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

In todays day and age 40k is not on. 60k is irritating. We have a mondeo with a 40k interval and it seems to need a timing belt every other day. I think it is on belt No. 7 at this stage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 760 ✭✭✭245

The Legacy diesel is well worth a look - its a great drive and very well equipped. There's a special offer at the moment with a few grand off list - this should surely have a knock-on effect on '08 values for someone willing to do a deal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,794 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

...that just means do the T-Belt and waterpump at 39k miles and seems to be across all makes with that engine (ie SAAB,etc)

Nope, not the SAAB. I've checked. And I have one.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭E39MSport

Can we have this as a sticky?

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    Nope, not the SAAB. I've checked. And I have one.

Im just going by the honestJohn website and on there for saab 9-3
    On 1.9JTDM timing belt drives waterpump and waterpump failure can fling it off in as little as 40k miles, wrecking the engine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Happened to my mates GT at 55K, dealer forgot to change at last service. New engine needed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭kindalen

what are resale values like on 159's? are they difficult to sell on?an 08 saab 9-3 seems like good value to bring in from uk still.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,102 ✭✭✭✭Drummerboy08

Happened to my mates GT at 55K, dealer forgot to change at last service. New engine needed.
    A timing belt on a GT 1.9JTDM isnt due until 120,000kms or 5 years according to Alfa themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,053 ✭✭✭jimbling

BMW 530d or 535d the way to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 40 merc609

Stick with the skoda and go for octavia Vrs diesel 170bhp, Comtable, reliable and economic if you drivin big milage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,037 ✭✭✭kuro_man

Phaeton V10 or Citroen C6 for something different

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭kindalen

like the look of the C6 alright

just to update

was looking at these today
    Volkswagen Passat 1.9 TDI 105bhp Blue Motion

media?id=6271967&width=400&height=300

as well as

media?id=6031694&width=400&height=300

(bit pricey though)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,668 ✭✭✭maidhc

105bhp isn't enough for the Passat, especially if you have any passengers.

I know someone who is probably going to be selling his 04 A4 1.9TDi 130bhp Avant w/leather in the next while if that fancies ya....about 70k miles and in mint condition

stay away from those bluemotions...they're dead slow

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,699 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

2.0Tdi Bluemotion is 110ps - piddly 105ps was from the old 1.9Tdi.

I've driven a few Passat's with the new engine and while it's never going to set the world on fire, it's adequate. €156 a year to tax as well isn't to be sneezed at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Stephen wrote: »
    Honda Accord/Civic 2.2 iCTDI btw :D

Have to second the Accord 2.2 iCTDI as they have an excellent reputation. Here is an example of a 07 for 18.k

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Accord/2.2-I-CT/200849191105282/advert?channel=CARS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

tommycahir wrote: »
    Have to second the Accord 2.2 iCTDI as they have an excellent reputation. Here is an example of a 07 for 18.k

http://www.carzone.ie/search/Honda/Accord/2.2-I-CT/200849191105282/advert?channel=CARS

You would think they would have at least washed the car before taking the photos.

thanks for the Audi offer. I have a '04 Skoda already so was hoping to go up a few years

• Advertisement
Advertisement