Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rally For Life (04-07-2009)

Options
12346»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

Ultravid wrote: »
    The Church has not fallen 'so far'. The Church is composed of human and divine elements. The individual human membership is prone to sinning. The divine element is infallible and will continue to proclaim the sanctity of all all human life from conception to natural death.

Somebody else spoke of the Church as being against science. This is incorrect. The Church founded the university system in Europe and many very prominent and distinguished scientists were clergy in the Catholic Church. 'How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilisation' is a good book on the topic.

Ah so the divine were marching in Dublin? Forgive me if I am mistaken, but I didn't see any higher power walking around! I don't particularly feel like engaging in a pointless theological debate with you, but I don't see how the church promotes human life, or what it has to do with the decision of an INDIVIDUAL PERSON to have an abortion, who might not even be of any particular faith?

As for "protecting the sanctity of human life", as far as I am aware from my 14 years of Catholic education, the clergy work on behalf of the divine. The clergy haven't exactly been dutiful in this respect i.e "proclaiming the sanctity of all human life from conception to natural death." Need I say Ryan Report? Conception?? The women in Magdelene Launderies were hardly protected after they conceived (shock horror) outside of marriage, nor were their children protected as they were shunted through the system of orphanages and industrial schools as they suffered appalling abuse! "Natural death," how many children were BEATEN to death at the hands of the church?

It might sound like I am sensationalising now, again I refer you to the Ryan Report and its predecessors! It is the height of hypocrisy to use the Church as a basis for stopping legalised abortion in Ireland. They did not "proclaim the sanctity of all human life from conception to natural death", so in my opinion they have no right to march through the streets of Dublin sanctimoniously heralding double-standards!

And as for the science.........google Galileo!

EDIT: Read this, a sign of things to come?
    http://choiceireland.org/content/abortion-law-liberalized-catholic-monaco

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

I see a "Europe, keep your hands off our laws" placard.

The true purpose of the march comes out?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 308 ✭✭nicola09

They like to recycle........! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,350 ✭✭✭Het-Field

Ultravid wrote: »
    The Church has not fallen 'so far'. The Church is composed of human and divine elements. The individual human membership is prone to sinning. The divine element is infallible and will continue to proclaim the sanctity of all all human life from conception to natural death.

Somebody else spoke of the Church as being against science. This is incorrect. The Church founded the university system in Europe and many very prominent and distinguished scientists were clergy in the Catholic Church. 'How the Catholic Church Built Western Civilisation' is a good book on the topic.

In fairness, the Church as an institution has some major atonement to do. While the doctrine of the church may be infallible, the institution, the heirarchy and the leaders are not beyond falling from grace. Without these, there wouldnt be a Church. The Ryan report, and the affairs surrounding Brendan Smith, Sean Fortune etc, and the likes of Fr Guinan (the Florida based Irish Priest), have dragged the name of the Catholic Church through the mud. However, it would be very wrong to seek to suggest that the Church has not fallen from grace over the past 20 years. The Christian Doctine is one thing, but some of the people who have sought to put it into practice have bastardised their vocation.

People's vocations have not lapsed, however, their faith in the organisation that preaches it has.

Advertisement