Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Metalica - August 2009

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭sammypsammy

Courtesy of user "Reborn" from Metalireland.com:
    Gates Open 1.30
    Glyder 3pm
    Mastadon 4.15pm.
    Alice in Chains 5.45 pm.
    ****** PUB ******** 7.15 pm
    Metallica 8.45pm

Ahem..... Where is A7X? oh and that person spelt Mastodon wrong!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Ahem..... Where is A7X? oh and that person spelt Mastodon wrong!

A7X will be on while the adults and people with good taste in music go to get more beer, go to toilets or just place their hands over there ears during their set. :)

(they're on after Alice in Chains :) )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭WithCheesePlease

robby^5 wrote: »
    A7X will be on while the adults and people with good taste in music go to get more beer, go to toilets or just place their hands over there ears during their set. :)

Ha, are they really that bad?! Have never heard them before. Shame they can't swap them with Alice in Chains and I could just turn up at 7 and be good.

Just wondering if anyone knows how I can get to Rathfarnham from Dun Laoghaire?

I actually only just saw this in the MCD website...
    The 75 bus leaves from The Square Tallaght and travels through Knocklyon,
    Firhouse, Rathfarnham (Nutgrove Shopping Centre) and on to Ballinteer
    Shopping Centre. This route also comes from Dun Laoghaire taking in York
    Road, Bakers Corner, Deansgrange, Stillorgan dual carriageway, Stillorgan
    village, Kilmacud, Dundrum and Ballinteer Shopping Centre, the recommended
    stop for the venue, a 10-minute walk to the pedestrian entrance for the
    venue.
    Thanks Gearoid. I am right in thinking that I can get off at Nutgrove and be somewhere walkable to Marley?

I would have said from Nutgrove you're still looking at a stroll the guts of about 20 mins or so. Obviously do-able, but just so you know. Bur from seeing the above you'd be best off getting off at the Ballinteer Shopping Centre I'd say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭JJ

Dermo wrote: »
    if there is any chance of leaving the venue and being let back in that is exactly my plan.

I think it's safe to say that at almost any gig you pay to get into anywhere in the world that if you leave, you won't be let back in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,969 ✭✭✭robby^5

Ha, are they really that bad?! Have never heard them before. Shame they can't swap them with Alice in Chains and I could just turn up at 7 and be good.

Same here, I'd rather stay at home and drink all day to save having to buy overpriced beer out there but alas I cannot miss the awesome Alice in Chains and tbh the ques last year got absolutely horrible right before Tenacious D came on (I think it was around 6) and it was nearly an hour wait to get inside, was an absolute nightmare... it would be nice if MCD have sorted it out this year, but I'm not putting much faith in that pipe dream.

So leaving it late to go out there is really running the risk of missing an act, so i'll be there bang in 1.30 or so...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,550 ✭✭✭NIBBS

anyone have any idea what time Bruxelles is opening at in the morning ???
    I'm assuming they'll open early with the crowd expected....

robby^5 wrote: »

(they're on after Alice in Chains :) )

Ugh! harsh! :(

I still love A7X no matter what all you haters say. Though their music has undoubtedly changed theyre still one of the best live bands there is. Dunno why everyone is so anti-A7X... but i suppose you're gonna tell me!

*waits for shouting*

Edit: Bruxelles?????

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

NIBBS wrote: »
    anyone have any idea what time Bruxelles is opening at in the morning ???....

I think they've been known to serve food and open the main bar from about 11am or Noon depending...but the likelihood is that given the fact that Metallica are known to visit this venue when they come to Dublin and given the fact its ages away from the venue its likely to be packed, overpriced and delay your enjoyment of the gig

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Whiskey Devil

I actually only just saw this in the MCD website...

I would have said from Nutgrove you're still looking at a stroll the guts of about 20 mins or so. Obviously do-able, but just so you know. Bur from seeing the above you'd be best off getting off at the Ballinteer Shopping Centre I'd say...

Thanks very much Gearoid. Gentleman. :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Its gonna rain tomorrow. :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 5,175 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr Moon

faceman wrote: »

Did you think we're in Spain?

Have you seen outside the window at all this week?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,642 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Mr Moon wrote: »
    Did you think we're in Spain?

Have you seen outside the window at all this week?

I live in denial dude!

I think they've been known to serve food and open the main bar from about 11am or Noon depending...but the likelihood is that given the fact that Metallica are known to visit this venue when they come to Dublin and given the fact its ages away from the venue its likely to be packed, overpriced and delay your enjoyment of the gig

Yeah I know dude, but theres always a mate that suggests it as a meeting point :-)
    Pretty sure I've had to meet different mates in there for every Metallica gig since 1999.....but yeah it can get messy in there...

will be trying to get in and out of there as quickly as possible, in fairness nearly everywhere in Dublin is overpriced - and I won't hang around for people tomorrow, those days are gone, I now go and take in support bands, even ones I haven't much interest in - because sometimes they can surprise you............I certainly don't want to end up stuck anywhere in traffic tomorrow at any stage.....

faceman wrote: »

actually it's not gonna be too bad! a little bit of drizzle here and there but that's it!!

http://www.metcheck.com/V40/UK/FREE/today.asp?zipcode=dublin

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Africa

on my way now. Everyone have a blast :D

I'm finding it very very odd that for a gig this size there's no official stage times.......

• Closed Accounts Posts: 267 ✭✭joeybloggs

Don't know these sevenfold crowd, but im defo there for those beautys in the background....http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uPnM0Rxcl44

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Im headin to dublin around 1 so will prob get the bus out to Marlay at around 2:30

NIBBS wrote: »
    I'm finding it very very odd that for a gig this size there's no official stage times.......
    Courtesy of user "Reborn" from Metalireland.com:
    Gates Open 1.30
    Glyder 3pm
    Mastadon 4.15pm.
    Alice in Chains 5.45 pm.
    ****** PUB ******** 7.15 pm
    Metallica 8.45pm

Anyone know how accurate / reliable these stage times are?? I don't want to / can't get there too early, but I also don't want to risk missing Alice in Chains...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭srfc1928

does any1 know if it's sold out or is just not possible to buy tickets on ticketmaster on the day of a gig?

srfc1928 wrote: »
    does any1 know if it's sold out or is just not possible to buy tickets on ticketmaster on the day of a gig?

It's not sold out, you'd have no bother picking up a ticket I'd say. I'd say you'd get one at the ticketmaster box office van dealy there. Bound to be spares floating around outside too I'd say.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Back from the gig there about a hour ago. Arrived just as Glyder were over so didnt get to see them. Mastodon were up next and really enjoyed them even though there sound was'nt that good from where i was. AIC were good but wasnt really paying much attention so i went to get a drink which was €6 for a heineken or Coors which i thought was a bit to much for a watered down drink (but ended up drinking about 5 of them :) ) A7X were up next and the first song was crap due to the sound but eventually got better and the young lad singing Walk was pretty good . Metallica were brilliant , it was my first time seeing them and they were very good really enjoyed them. Overall enjoyable gig no problems

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,363 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

quietest crowd (in terms of insaneness :p) that i have ever seen at a metallica concert, well at least they were in our section which was over to the right of the stage just beyond the barrier. people were singing along but barely any moshing or jumping or crowd surfing (weird)

just got the back end of AIC, new singer is really good, no interest in Avenged, their songs sounded all so similiar and waay to long, the guy getting up on stage to sing panteras "walk" was a nice touch though

metallica came on stage at approx 9.05pm (no long way to the top intro before ectasy though :(), and played till 11.09pm, thought the sound in our section for opener "blackened" was poor, sound improved as night went on

decent setlist, four new songs; Broken, Beat And Scarred, nightmare, day that never comes and Cyanide, motorbreath and S+D from kill em all, creeping death and fight fire (from RTL), Puppets, Harvester, One and Blackened from justice, sad, nothing and sandman from black album, covers of whiskey, turn the page and killing time (ray haller from sweet savage guesting on vocals)

i loled at james nearly tripping when he got down next to the crowd during seek and destroy, overall metallica were good, nice to hear new songs on their set, was hoping to hear whiplash as they had played it a few times recently in mainland europe but alas :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

Hi ,heading to fatboy today, can I ask what sort of condition the park was in at the concerts end?, was their any mud? should I bring my wellies? I know it didn't rain so I'm hoping for no slopping around

• Closed Accounts Posts: 129 ✭✭mr.benn

Hi all ,
    I picked up a camea at metallica in the pit yesterday mid-way through blackened if anyone knows anything about this please p.m me as i would like to return it to its rightful owner!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,258 ✭✭✭Numina

JoeSchmoe wrote: »
    Hi ,heading to fatboy today, can I ask what sort of condition the park was in at the concerts end?, was their any mud? should I bring my wellies? I know it didn't rain so I'm hoping for no slopping around

No mud, but from afar it looked like it had been snowing because there was so much rubbish. It'll be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 463 ✭✭JoeSchmoe

cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,939 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

What a great gig last night.
    First of all i gotta say Fair Fcuks to MCD, they've had a lot of slaggin off recently but yesterdays organisation was pretty good, from sign posts to the gig, car parking, the queues etc, Nice one.

We arrived just before AIC, who were pretty good, new singer is good and will def check out the new CD.

I'm not into Avenged but there set sorta won me over, i enjoyed it, especially that Russel kid on Walk

Last night was the 23rd time i've seen Metallica, over the past 3/4 years there live shows seem to have been a bit stale, definatley needed some new material injecting into them.

Surprised to see them open with Blackened, lately they have been opening with 'That wa sjust your life' in countries where they have yet to play on the Death Magnetic tour.
    Whiskey came 3rd after Creeping Death and sounded much better than last year.
    A few oldies (Harverster & Fight Fire) in the set which i haven't heard live in a long time, also Turn the Page was a nice addition.

The new stuff is fcukin awesome live, especially Nightmare which is just sick.

All in all much better than last years Marlay Gig, weather was great, after 2 weeks of rain i was expectin the worst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,730 ✭✭✭✭entropi

rossie1977 wrote: »
    quietest crowd (in terms of insaneness :p) that i have ever seen at a metallica concert, well at least they were in our section which was over to the right of the stage just beyond the barrier. people were singing along but barely any moshing or jumping or crowd surfing (weird)
    Inside the pit was brilliant though:D had a great time in there i did jsut a few rows from centre stage.
    no interest in Avenged, their songs sounded all so similiar and waay to long, the guy getting up on stage to sing panteras "walk" was a nice touch though
    to be quite honest i thought that bit was a massive set up, the guy was called Russel, he "performed" a little too well for me to believe it, had a decent enough voice too...

decent setlist, four new songs; Broken, Beat And Scarred, nightmare, day that never comes and Cyanide, motorbreath and S+D from kill em all, creeping death and fight fire (from RTL), Puppets, Harvester, One and Blackened from justice, sad, nothing and sandman from black album, covers of whiskey, turn the page and killing time (ray haller from sweet savage guesting on vocals)

i loled at james nearly tripping when he got down next to the crowd during seek and destroy, overall metallica were good, nice to hear new songs on their set, was hoping to hear whiplash as they had played it a few times recently in mainland europe but alas :(
    JoeSchmoe wrote: »
    Leaving the pit at 11:15 it looked like the main area outside got hit by a litter bomb:P
    scudzilla wrote: »
    What a great gig last night.
    First of all i gotta say Fair Fcuks to MCD, they've had a lot of slaggin off recently but yesterdays organisation was pretty good, from sign posts to the gig, car parking, the queues etc, Nice one.
    Was decent to be fair, but the way we had to wait soooooo long to get in after queueing since 8am for a pit pass was insane, they let in 5 groups during stages of the morning then left so many of us standing there for 3 hours until they opened the gates 20 mins late too! But the day was worth it in the end:D
    Last night was the 23rd time i've seen Metallica, over the past 3/4 years there live shows seem to have been a bit stale, definatley needed some new material injecting into them.
    so you were one of the few James was talking about holding their hands up after seeing them 10 times hehe;)
    A few oldies (Harverster & Fight Fire) in the set which i haven't heard live in a long time, also Turn the Page was a nice addition.

The new stuff is fcukin awesome live, especially Nightmare which is just sick.

All in all much better than last years Marlay Gig, weather was great, after 2 weeks of rain i was expectin the worst.
    Fight Fire was savage, so was All Nightmare Long...man i love that song:D Master, One and Creeping Death i really really liked too (especially the "die" chant:)) Killing Time was a great cover song to do with a v good singer to cover it \o/

Have to say it was my first, but definately not my last Metallica gig...brilliant day in the end.

Advertisement