Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where do you do your shopping?

Options
  • 01-07-2009 9:04pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭

I think we're spoiled for choice in North County Dublin for where to do your weekly shopping (if you have a car) and I'm just curious what other people do.

I get most of my groceries in Dunnes Store's in Pavilions Swords, a few bits in the local Eurospar and occasionally gimicky stuff in Lidl/aldi in Coolock/Santry Avenue.

I like Superquinn but it's a bit more expensive I think than Dunnes. Some of the stuff I get in Lidl/Aldi is fine but I'm always worried I'll get something inedible. I don't like the way boxes are all over the shop and their system for sticking stuff in the trolley. Not a big fan of Tesco, just don't like the lay out or arrangement of food in their stores.

Please tick the box and leave a comment.

I'm just curious and this isn't a marketing/commercial/shilling thing.

Where do you do most of your shopping 52 votes

Superquinn
    0%
    Dunnes Stores
    7%
    Paulwcatch--22Redzer7vixenbees 4 votes
    Supervalu
    19%
    dubmickKieradsmythyNothingcomparesashlingmLady_Northpfk-0pDickertyDanteSparky84 10 votes
    Tesco
    11%
    aniascorThe Black OilRainy Daywow sierraArthur DaleyPirateShampoo 6 votes
    Marks and Spencers
    11%
    SMKCutie18IrelandPogMoThoinPCrosRobFowlEoineo 6 votes
    Local independent Supermarket (e.g. JC's Rathbeale rd)
    5%
    Chinafootseanosbrettmirl 3 votes
    Lidl/Aldi
    13%
    meditraitorAuversLarianneGinnypinkypinkyDizzyblondePflano 7 votes
    Local Convienience Store (e.g. Fresh, eurospar, Londis)
    7%
    bambamPWEIgripcaseylinx 4 votes
    Markets
    0%
    Combination
    0%
    Other
    23%
    joolsveerT-MaxxHelmetRochie IRLThe Hill BillyOctopusMehhFingleberriesClare BearLeoBjucylucydarren1978 12 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 Rainy Day

Tesco
    I buy most my stuff in Supervalu because it's across the road. Convenience.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,409 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Tesco
    We used to go to the old Superquinn years ago, JC's at times, too. Dunnes when it came to the Pavilions and the odd trip over to Lidl in Balbriggan. Now it's Super Valu since it came to Lusk, but it's quite small so they don't carry a great range of stock. Its prices have come down, though. There's also Costcutter, however it's very much a last resort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,528 ✭✭✭dcr22B

Sainsburys in Sprucefield once every 6 weeks for the big shop then a combination of Dunnes in the Pavilions for the big weekly shop and Costcutter/Super Valu in Lusk for bits and bobs during the week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,613 ✭✭✭✭Clare Bear

Other
    Dunnes in Portmarnock usually but will sometimes pop in to Tesco Clarehall too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭Dickerty

Supervalu
    Dunnes in Charlestown these days, very handy having the non-grocery as well, and the grocery is the full range. Generally pretty quiet too. And McArdle's butchers, Heatons and Boots make the centre a great option.

Would also go to Aldi in Santry and Lidl on Finglas Rd for a variety of bargains...

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Lidl/Aldi
    Asda in Belfast for the big 2 monthly shop, Jcs for fruit and Veg, Butchers in Applewood/Charlestown for meat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

Lidl/Aldi
    JC's for the main shop, meat etc. Then I'll get a few things in Dunne's or Superquinn over the weekend.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

Sainsburys because the customer service is unmatched by any local store and despite the price reductions they are still cheaper for baby stuff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Lidl/Aldi
    JC's for most..... Dunnes for baby food/nappies and superquinn for fish. 90% the rest splash and dash garage/spar stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

Careys and Cyrill Campbells.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 308 ✭✭gripcasey

Local Convienience Store (e.g. Fresh, eurospar, Londis)
    Now Bluetonic its awhile they where the big 2 in balbriggan, both good grocers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭Octopus

Other
    Bluetonic wrote: »
    Careys and Cyrill Campbells.

Good oul Cyril, was one of the very first to open on Christmas day.
    Caused an outrage at the time. Common place now.

Ginny - What Asda do you go to in Belfast, is it an Asda extra? I much prefer Asda to Sainsburys but the one in Enniskillen and Portadown are too far away.

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Unshelved

Skerries supermarkets are atrocious - especially for fruit and veg. It's hard to believe sometimes that North County Dublin used to be famous for both when you see some of the half-rotten stuff in them.

We go to Lidl for most of our stuff - not just because it's cheaper but because the quality is a lot better. Don't buy meat there much though - we use our local butcher. Plus Olive for their bread and hummous - mmmmm!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,923 ✭✭✭Nothingcompares

Supervalu
    thanks everyone that voted

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭Ginny

Lidl/Aldi
    Octopus wrote: »
    Good oul Cyril, was one of the very first to open on Christmas day.
    Caused an outrage at the time. Common place now.

Ginny - What Asda do you go to in Belfast, is it an Asda extra? I much prefer Asda to Sainsburys but the one in Enniskillen and Portadown are too far away.

The one we use is the westwood one just off the M1 before Belfast
    Westwood Northern Ireland
    Just make sure you get there early enough, the Enniskillen one is fantastic we did our Christmas shop there but its a bit too far for a regular thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Other
    Unshelved wrote: »
    Skerries supermarkets are atrocious - especially for fruit and veg. It's hard to believe sometimes that North County Dublin used to be famous for both when you see some of the half-rotten stuff

If you want fresh fruit and veg, Bird of Paradise on Main St in Rush is very good. On the issue of local produce we should not buy it if it is not grown locally. How can produce grown in Holland, Turkey or Spain be as good or fresh as stuff grown locally? It cant. It has spent 2 or 3 days in the back of a lorry. Look at the trash chickens imports, more water adititives than chicken yet Irish poultry companies are letting staff go. Crazy

As for local supermarkets I think they are a rip off on a lot of stuff, way to expensive. However if you watch for the advertising they do you can get some good bargains. Heard a woman ask for packet of Fusion blades (they wer'nt for her) in Eurospar in Rush and they were €20.06, in the chemist they were €16.45 and in Supervalue Lush €14.50. How in gods name can that be?
    As Tesco are giving these thousands of price reductions now I spoke to 2 people who said they will never shop there again as they could have reduced their prices sooner.
    We shop occasionally in North but feel now if you have discipilne about how you shop down here the gap is closing. On electricle items and that sort of stuff the North is often 50% cheaper. I saved €600 on on a digital S.L.R camera. Felt a little guilty until I had it in my hand. £647 in Newry. €1,300 in Dublin. Dublin shops are only now dropping their prices. 6-9 months to late.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Other
    Unshelved wrote: »
    Skerries supermarkets are atrocious - especially for fruit and veg. It's hard to believe sometimes that North County Dublin used to be famous for both when you see some of the half-rotten stuff in them.
    To be fair, Gerry's does stock locally grown seasonal veg. SuperValu is chock full of foreign produce & has feck all fresh Irish produce. C&T's I can't really comment on.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,254 ✭✭✭LeoB

Other
    Places like Gerry's should be highlighted as should any shop that sells locally grown produce. He does his bit for a good few local growers. It scandelous to look along the east coast say from Dundalk to Bray and look at what has happened. Fishing boats tied up or sold and so many small producers gone out of business. So that is for various reasons but but they were not helped by supermarkets who put cheap foregin produce on the sheleves and left our small growers out on a limb.

Remember the thread about teenagers hanging around? When North Dublin had all the growers and fishing was doing well there were not as many hanging around, they were to tired after a day picking spuds or tomatoes.

Perhaps we should name the shops who support local or Irish producers rather than name the shops who dont?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I don't shop! :o There's plenty of stuff in the kitchen but I'm afraid I've no idea where it comes from. Mrs Wishbone Ash doesn't like me asking any nosey questions either - I might end up being told to do it myself! :eek:

For small items such as newspaper or pint of milk, I go to Hoare's. Easy parking and quick service.

Advertisement