Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meadowsweet wine recipe!

Options
  • 01-07-2009 9:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭

Can't find a recipe anywhere online for this, only ones that use it as an additional flavouring to other base fruit or flower ingredients, whereas I want to use either meadow sweet alone as the flavouring or a meadosweet and strawberry combo. Can anyone help me out with this one as I'm a novice to homebrewing!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

hmmm meadowsweet is a pretty powerful naturally occuring sedative, so be careful.
    I don't have a recipe for meadowsweet wine but the cordial is
    50 meadowsweet blossoms ) from a clean enviroment not the side of the road)
    2 litres of water
    250g of sugar
    juice of 2 lemons.

meadowsweetNAMINAMI.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭bionic.laura

Looking up my brewing books meadowsweet was used along with heather as an alternative to hops during the bronze age especially in Scotland.

Anyway I have a book called Sacred and Herbal Healing Beers by Stephen H Buhner you might want to check out if you're into making wines and beers out of odd herbs.

It's got a recipe for meadowsweet ale. It's not beer though as there's no grain in it.

1 pound brown sugar
    12 ounces molasses
    2 ounces meadowsweet
    2 ounces dried agrimony
    2 ounces dried lavender flowers
    2 1/2 gallons water
    yeast

Boil water sugar molasses and herbs for 30 minutes. Cool and strain into fermenter. Add the yeast. Ferment and then bottle.

Be warned this recipe is from some 14th century record. I take no responsibility if you make it and it all goes wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

Thanks for that guys, I know that book actually I looked at it in a shop ages ago might actually go back and see if they still have it. Would anyone have any advice on maybe replacing the molasses with more sugar as I think that would take out the malty flavour making it more like a wine than a ale.

Advertisement