Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

poor mpg+air in fuel line

• 01-07-2009 9:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭

hi ive been gettin worse and worse mpg from my car over the past few weeks i noticed that there is a constant stream of air bubbles in the fuel line from the fuel filter into engine and i presume this is the problem if not part of it, do i just need to bleed the fuel lines or do i have a corroded line somewere

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

What make/model/year is your car??

Those bubbles could be quite normal.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭deaglan169

crosstownk wrote: »
    What make/model/year is your car??

Those bubbles could be quite normal.

01 seat leon sdi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

I doubt that your recent poor fuel consumption is directly related to the bubbles. It is most likely another reason.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭alo1587

A few bubbles would be normal enough in a diesel,check for a blocked/dirty air filter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,648 ✭✭✭gyppo

As the rest said, a few bubbles in the fuel line is often normal.

Also, if you think about it, the more bubbles you have in the fuel line, the less fuel you are using!:D

OP, is the car hard to start in the morning? If it is, and you have bubbles, then you have an airleak in the fuel system, and fuel from the filter will drain back to the tank overnight. Check the fittings on your fuel filter as a starting point.

• Advertisement

fuel filter is only a few months old i have checked all the fittings on the filter and they seem secure, and the car starts no problem in the morning and is running well but just really bad mpg as of late

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 598 ✭✭✭DannyBuoy

If its a sudden drop in mpg it maybe a leak somewhere..

Any other symptoms such as smoky exhaust, different noise from engine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 462 ✭✭alo1587

deaglan169 wrote: »
    fuel filter is only a few months old i have checked all the fittings on the filter and they seem secure, and the car starts no problem in the morning and is running well but just really bad mpg as of late

Open up the filter box and have a look at the bottom of the air filter.Is it black looking and clogged with leaves/debris? Is there an excessive amount of black smoke coming from the exhaust when you accelerate? Are there any signs of leaks on your driveway?

checked air filter some debris but nothing major small bits of leaves flies etc... no black smoke or fuel leaks as far as i can see im really stumped as to what is causing this

Advertisement