Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Bit of advice for me?

• 01-07-2009 9:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

Good, reputable (but far away) uni - UCD

vs.

A good pissup with me mates in (a close) uni - NUIG

Ill be quick:
    I live in Claire
    I want to get a job in New york someday so..
    I think i should go to a college which is more well known (UCD)
    but i wouldnt know many people up there.
    most of my friends are going to Nuig, so im tempted to go there too (pissed non-stop)
    I wouldnt know many/any people in UCD, buti ts probably better academically,
    Nuig has a similar course, and i still could do it there and i know loads.
    they say college is the best days of your life, should i spend it with the mad bastards i already know, or head up to D4?:confused:

Probably easier to do well in UCD (less partying :P)

What ye think? (i know i dragged on, sorry:D)

UCD vs NUIG 10 votes

NUIG for the party
    0% 0 votes
    UCD for the books
    100% 10 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dylano_k

stainluss wrote: »
    Good, reputable (but far away) uni - UCD

vs.

A good pissup with me mates in (a close) uni - NUIG

Ill be quick:
    I live in Claire
    I want to get a job in New york someday so..
    I think i should go to a college which is more well known (UCD)
    but i wouldnt know many people up there.
    most of my friends are going to Nuig, so im tempted to go there too (pissed non-stop)
    I wouldnt know many/any people in UCD, buti ts probably better academically,
    Nuig has a similar course, and i know loads.
    they say college is the best days of your life, should i spend it with the mad bastards i already know, or head up to D4?:confused:

What ye think? (i know i dragged on, sorry:D)

Well college is all about new experiences(never went) and meeting new people, drugs, women ect....

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,945 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

Moved from AH. Seems a more suitable place.
    Apologies mods if incorrect.

Definately go to ucd. A better known college makes a big difference when looking for work plus you wouldn't be long meeting new people. New experiences is what college is about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

agreed. You can still see your mates at the weekends, but you won't be lonely in Dublin either - I'm still best mates with my college best mates 15 odd years on. I'd go to Dublin, if you don't like it you can always switch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

If you simply want to go to NUIG to get pissed and be with your friends there's no contest. Go to UCD. You yourself said that UCD is better!

But the CAO deadline was over 4 hours ago so you really should have already known :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 865 ✭✭✭stainluss

phasers wrote: »
    If you simply want to go to NUIG to get pissed and be with your friends there's no contest. Go to UCD. You yourself said that UCD is better!

But the CAO deadline was over 4 hours ago so you really should have already known :pac:

No this is for next year, i thought i would decide now because theyre's a big points difference between the two!

thanks for all the advice:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Napoli

Go to UCD. That way you'll have new friends plus you can meet up with your old buddies in Clare during holidays etc.

Nobody studies in their first year of college btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I've been told to stay clear of UCD - place is nothing but a degree factory and they don't give a toss about their students.

If you want somewhere reputable in Dublin why not go for the best rep available (Trinity) which is ranked 49th worldwide, 13th in Europe and 1st in Ireland

TCD is known worldwide more-so than UCD would be, and certainly may be more beneficial if applying for a job in the states. The courses are meant to be better also.

Oh, and if you think you're going to get anywhere by being drunk all the time then go looking for work abroad....best of luck to ya.

If you want somewhere reputable in Dublin why not go for the best rep available (Trinity) which is ranked 49th worldwide, 13th in Europe and 1st in Ireland

Don't think i can get enough points, and im doing business, UCD is ranked 1st in the country in that area (graduate and undergraduate)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

stainluss wrote: »
    Good, reputable ...
    I would strongly argue the (perhaps unintentional) implication that Galway is not a good or reputable university.

However, different colleges tend to shine in different areas, and I don't have a sense that it's at the top of even the Irish pile in the area of business ... that said, business isn't my own area, and I don't claim to have much insight on the subject.

I wouldn't take all that much notice of overall international rankings when choosing a college for undergraduate study ... they take a lot of factors into account, of which teaching is only one, and usually highly undervalued in terms of weighting imho. Tbh, in my view they can often be quite cynically manipulated by good PR machines.

Mind you, if you feel you are going to be tempted to be the life and soul of the party in Galway, and want to get a good degree, heading elsewhere may have advantages.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

UCD because its reputable and your going to make new mates there and get pissed in Dublin

I would strongly argue the (perhaps unintentional) implication that Galway is not a good or reputable university.

no, i didnt mean galway is not reputable, far from it, just i have heard alot about ucd business wise.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 264 ✭✭TheManWho

Because I don't think you will get anything but biased opinions, and because of all of the decisions you will have to make on your own when you go to college. My advice is to go into a dark room away from all outside influences, computer included, and make the final decision you think feels right.

• Registered Users Posts: 942 ✭✭✭whadabouchasir

I'd say go ton Nuig,because both universities are a part of the national university of Ireland so the degrees they give out are effectively the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Dont eat yellow snow

......its advice

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

At the end of the day you still get a degree, and if you applied for a job in America no-one will think "I've never heard of that uni because it's crap", they'll just think "I've never heard of that uni because it's the other side of the atlantic".

Advertisement