Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tax fine

Options
  • 01-07-2009 10:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭

I went to the Garda station today and got my declaration of non use form stamped for my car as i havent been using it for the last 2 months. Went down to Leixlip village and got a parking ticket and came back 5minutes later and had a 60euro fine for not displaying tax. I went over to the Warden with my form stamped and he told me tough.

I think that's pretty scabby seeing as I showed him that I wasn't avoiding paying my tax. :mad:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

Blue_Wolf wrote: »
    I went to the Garda station today and got my declaration of non use form stamped for my car as i havent been using it for the last 2 months. Went down to Leixlip village and got a parking ticket and came back 5minutes later and had a 60euro fine for not displaying tax. I went over to the Warden with my form stamped and he told me tough.

I think that's pretty scabby seeing as I showed him that I wasn't avoiding paying my tax. :mad:

Just because the guards stamped it didn't give you tax, the car was still untaxed, realisticly if that was to work sure would anyone bother taxing the car or just head down the station every few months and say its been off the road!

Hate them parking wardens tho:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

Just so I'm reading this right.......

You drove an untaxed car on the road and you're complaining you got caught and a fine? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭Blue_Wolf

No Keefg, I hadn't been using the car for 2 months, i went to the gardai to get the form stamped and than parked in the village to get something done and was on the way down to the tax office. You have to physically go down to the tax office with the form so what you have to take alternative transport as you have no tax even though you have the form stamped??

I could compare that with learner drivers allowed to drive home on their own after failing their driving test.

Fine I would understand if the form was stamped a week or 2 ago but he should have empathised and let me away with it.

Have to say wardens have the worst job, they must have thick skin to put up with the amount of arguements they get into daily! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭keefg

No Keefg, I hadn't been using the car for 2 months, i went to the gardai to get the form stamped and than parked in the village to get something done and was on the way down to the tax office. You have to physically go down to the tax office with the form so what you have to take alternative transport as you have no tax even though you have the form stamped??

Ahh...now that make more sense. You were on way to getting your car taxed (and form stamped along the way) and not just getting form stamped and going back home.

In that case.......B*****DS! :mad::D

But in hindsight this
    than parked in the village to get something done
    wasn't a good idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭portumna

Just appeal the ticket. If your car was off the road and you have proof of that, send a copy of the form along with a letter explaining why you think the ticket should be cancelled and send it off. The address is on the back of the fine at the bottom under appeals. Make sure you do it within 14 days. You should have no problem getting the ticket cancelled.

• Advertisement

There was a reply asking "Was the fine for not hgaving tax or for not displaying the disk?" and that's what the answer below is to. Has been deleted for some reason though.

Afaik the offence is not displaying a current tax disc but from what i've been told a lot of these get cancelled by parkrite if they prove the car was taxed but the disc was misplaced/in the post or if the car was off the road or if they just bought the car. There's was and means of getting out of most tickets.

Thanks for the advice Portumna ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 609 ✭✭✭Perfect fit

portumna wrote: »
    There was a reply asking "Was the fine for not hgaving tax or for not displaying the disk?" and that's what the answer below is to. Has been deleted for some reason though.

Afaik the offence is not displaying a current tax disc but from what i've been told a lot of these get cancelled by parkrite if they prove the car was taxed but the disc was misplaced/in the post or if the car was off the road or if they just bought the car. There's was and means of getting out of most tickets.

No you see if the car was "off the road" it should not have been parked in the village end of, if you had of been stopped by the gaurds and you said you had just got that stamped for the car being off road, they still would have done you for it because regardless if the car is off the road 2 years or 2 months your now driving the car on the road without tax, which also means your insurance is void, so effectively you would be done for no tax and no valid insurance happened to a friend of mine not so long ago.

If you appeal the parkin ticket you wont get anywhere because the car was untaxed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

I had the same problem in Naas. The offence is for "non display of a current tax disc". Even if the correct disc was on the floor of the car a garda or warden can issue a fine for the offense. However as said above it can be sorted.

If the out of use stamp and tax disc receipt (for your new disc) are dated for the same day, then the council will repeal the fine. They did for me anyway as I demonstrated intent. From experience, if you didn't pay the fine and were brought to court, I suspect the judge would deem it all a waste of time as you had followed proceedure and the council would have failed to apply any form of common sense.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

No you see if the car was "off the road" it should not have been parked in the village end of, if you had of been stopped by the gaurds and you said you had just got that stamped for the car being off road, they still would have done you for it because regardless if the car is off the road 2 years or 2 months your now driving the car on the road without tax, which also means your insurance is void, so effectively you would be done for no tax and no valid insurance happened to a friend of mine not so long ago.

If you appeal the parkin ticket you wont get anywhere because the car was untaxed

Your insurance is not void if you have no road tax. You can insure your car before taxing it. In fact you have to, otherwise you can't get road tax.

Maybe your friend just didn't have any insurance.

• Advertisement

When will they implement the road tax into petrol? That would be great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Buffman

OP, I'm guessing you got the non-use section signed for June. Then on 1st July you were on the way to tax the car and got a ticket. You then taxed the car from the month of July onwards.

If this is the case, appeal the fine, as you have your car taxed for July.
    If they deny the appeal, go to court.

If the above is not how it happened, and you got the ticket in the same month as you had declared it off the road, I would pay up, look happy and hope they don't put 2 and 2 together.

Also, you can post the RF100A & payment to the tax office, no need to go down there. I got my tax back within 2 days the last time.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

You're bang on the money, had it declared off the road until the 30th June, got stung on the 1st July, and have the car now taxed for the next 3months.

I don't know if i'm entitled to appeal it though.
    Buffman wrote: »
    OP, I'm guessing you got the non-use section signed for June. Then on 1st July you were on the way to tax the car and got a ticket. You then taxed the car from the month of July onwards.

If this is the case, appeal the fine, as you have your car taxed for July.
    If they deny the appeal, go to court.

If the above is not how it happened, and you got the ticket in the same month as you had declared it off the road, I would pay up, look happy and hope they don't put 2 and 2 together.

Also, you can post the RF100A & payment to the tax office, no need to go down there. I got my tax back within 2 days the last time.

You're bang on the money, had it declared off the road until the 30th June, got stung on the 1st July, and have the car now taxed for the next 3months.

I don't know if i'm entitled to appeal it though.

It'll cost you nothing to appeal it but it'll cost you €60 to just pay it. You have a very good chance of them upholding your appeal since it was off the road until the day before. If it was me i'd be appealing and i'd be confident of getting it cancelled.

Who do I ring to appeal it, I threw the fine away, I was annoyed at the time and didn't realise it would have an appeal number on it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,063 ✭✭✭Greenmachine

why didn't you get on taxed on the 30th of June.

I only got the form stamped on the 1st of July.

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭USER X

I had an accident in which I was knocked off my motorbike and wasnt able to use the car for 4 months. I had a medical cert and disability certs for the 4 months to prove I could not have driven the car (leg was shredded to bits), could have gone to the Gardai to get a form stamped declaring the vehicle was not in use but yet they wont give me credit for this time and its not like you can suspend or hand back a tax disk either. Seems a bit bent to me but if theres one thing our government likes doing its screwing people for taxes left, right and center. They seem to think its the answer to every problem but dont seem to realise they are choking the life out of the economy. I also think we pay too much for car tax.

Ya it's a rip off alright. Although it's very cheap for a motor bike and 1 litre cars. I think it should be all the same price but to an extent. Like anything over 2/2.5 litre should pay higher. For simple reasons that they are luxury and should be paying luxury tax and therefore reducing taxes for us who only have in around 1.6.

Why won't they implement road tax into petrol instead. Would be so much better. Just because they won't be guaranteed revenue?? Bollox like sure see the amount of foreign cars (Polish/Lithuanian and more so British cars) on our roads and do they pay tax? NO! Makes sense for us and the Government to switch it!

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭Ian Beale

Why won't they implement road tax into petrol instead. Would be so much better. Just because they won't be guaranteed revenue??
    How do you propose they do that? If a high powered car was to do less then 5,000km a year compared to say a mid range family saloon doing 30,000km which would use more petrol and have to fork out more because the cost of it would be included at the pumps, post that in the motors section and you'd be shot out of a cannon, it would never be viable and has so many flaws.

As for your tax fine you shouldn't have it on a public road until you've got it taxed end of story, if it means you have to get alternative transport to the tax office then that's what you have to do.

• Advertisement

I only got the form stamped on the 1st of July.

Leixlip Garda Station is 24hr if you were driving the car agin getting the tax sorted should be been priority number one. By right you should have found alternative means to the Garda Station and to the Tax office.

Who do I ring to appeal it, I threw the fine away, I was annoyed at the time and didn't realise it would have an appeal number on it :(

If it was the parking warden who did you, then it's KCC. (not sure which section.)
    why didn't you get on taxed on the 30th of June.

He wasn't driving it in June. If he had tried to tax it on the 30/06, they would have demanded he pay road tax for June aswell. Basically, you can't tax your car in the same month you have it declared off the road.

FYI, if you move to a 'smart' meter electricity plan, you CAN'T move back to a non-smart plan.

You don't have to take a 'smart' meter if you don't want one, opt-out is available.

Buy drinks in 3L or bigger plastic bottles or glass bottles to avoid the DRS fee.

He said he drove to the Garda Station ffs without any Tax.

He said he drove to the Garda Station ffs without any Tax.

Yes, on 01/07. He then declared the car off the road for the 2 previous months. He then taxed the car later that day from July on.
    As I said, with the current system, you can't pay the tax until the month after you've declared off the road.

It's a similar situation to buying a car with no tax, you have to get all the paperwork sorted before you can tax it.

You can only appeal in writing to The Parking Shop, Main St., Celbridge. Just include your reg and the date and they can use thisto get the ticket number. The council don't deal with the fines as the contract is with parkrite for everything and the council just take the money at the end of it all.

Advertisement