Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Air-con 407

• 01-07-2009 10:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭

I recently got the aircon fixed on my 407. There was a pipe broken coming out of the compressor. Fair enough I got it fixed.

The mechanic in the garage had a word with me after saying that something is hitting against the head in the aircon. Now I'm not too familiar with the workings of these so all I took in were a few words. I did mention it to someone who knows a bit and they reckoned he could have been talking about a piston maybe. Basically he said it would have to be done in the next week or too or else the problem would get worse and cost more. Now I know he wasn't trying to con me as he said he couldn't do it himself as he hadn;t the tools to do a 407.

Anyone out there know what he might be talking about. I want to know what to say to the garage when I bring it in.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think the best thing to do is to ring the mechanic back and get an exact explanation of the problem. Don't be afraid to ask more questions until you've got it completely clear in your own head.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭hawker

Yea I think I might do that actually.

Thanks Anan1.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭al2009

there would be a lot of vibration if the piston was hitting the head, unit would also not be blowing as cold as it should, usual fix is to replace compressor, some air con companies are mentioned in other threads, could be worth having them look at it?

al

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

Is the solenoid clicking when you turn on the aircon....??
    if not the pressure of gas (134a) may not be enough to make the pressure switch.
    if its a diesel i've heard of condensors been punchered by stones which in turn the condensor loses its gas...:confused:
    I've got acess to Peugeot Planet diagnostics.....:)
    If you want ask here ... http://www.407owners.com/forums/
    row.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

Anan1 wrote: »
    I think the best thing to do is to ring the mechanic back and get an exact explanation of the problem. Don't be afraid to ask more questions until you've got it completely clear in your own head.
    absolutley +1

• Advertisement

Row wrote: »
    Is the solenoid clicking when you turn on the aircon....??

There is a slight noise ok. The mechanic said it would get worse.

al2009 wrote: »
    there would be a lot of vibration if the piston was hitting the head, unit would also not be blowing as cold as it should, usual fix is to replace compressor, some air con companies are mentioned in other threads, could be worth having them look at it?

al

would that be expensive?The mechanic said if I did get it done soon that the problem can be fixed at no huge cost.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 176 ✭✭al2009

compressors run to a couple of hundred, quite labour intensive. Have a chat with the mechanic, open the hood and have a listen yourself.

Is the air con working? cooling ok? any unusual persistant noises from the engine bay? 99% of the faults we rectify are gas related, leaking condensers etc, may just be this.

al

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭Row

before you go buying an aircon compressor you need to get to the bottom
    of the problem first....
    1)check if the system has a full gas charge.
    2)electromagnet/clutch is engaging between pully and compressor.
    3)pressure switch is happy with its pressure.
    just found this...http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Peugeot-307-407-Citroen-C5-Air-Con-Pump_W0QQitemZ250438826391QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_CarsParts_Vehicles_CarParts_SM?hash=item3a4f513997&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A12%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C72%3A1683%7C240%3A1318%7C301%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50
    Row

Advertisement