Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long hair

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

Yeah, my hair's very fine too, but there's a lot of it. I find comb-in conditioner fantastic for teasing out those tangles...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

Dudess wrote: »
    Yeah, my hair's very fine too, but there's a lot of it. I find comb-in conditioner fantastic for teasing out those tangles...
    My hair used to be quite thin in terms of volume but I got a lot more volume when it grew back - I end up having to put in one of those "conditioning treatments" and combing it then but I might try a comb in conditioner...(thanks again).

OP - long hair can be a pain but if it is "you" why would you change it - yes, I feel that it makes me look younger but I want that...I still got the childrens fair on regional buses well into my 20's which was great (though I used to say that I was an adult!)...what is wrong with being young?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

At 18 you want to look anything but childish though... :)

Dudess wrote: »
    At 18 you want to look anything but childish though... :)
    Yes, I know, I just did not want to lie to her though...I do know that the guys were fascinated by my long hair and always said that they much prefered long hair on women, I know that is not a good enough reason to have it but also my long hair feels so much a part of me that when it was gone I did not feel "me" if that makes any sense. You can do so much with long hair, not so much with short (in my opinion).

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Op do what you want. You're the one who has to live with it. I've had both long hair and short hair.

I had hair to my bum when I was younger and cut it all off to a bob above my chin. I've always been doing that. I get sick of it easily. I went from a couple inches passed my shoulders
    to less than an inch long on one side and about 3 inches long on the back about two months ago. Although my hair grows super fast, it'll be back how it was by Christmas I'd say.

If you fancy a change or want to look older then maybe colour it or split it differently of change the shape of it. If you're not used to short hair it can be a bitch to learn to style but then again, it's savage being able to jump out of the shower after 2 minutes and have it dry and done less than ten minutes after that :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

When mine gets to a certain length and due to how thick it is I have to wera it in plaits in bed, whic mean sless knots less hassle in the morning and I will tie it up on a bun at the nape of my neck out of ht eway esp on hot days. I ave been know to put it in to buns as well sorta anime/camy style these my kids call fun buns cos it tends to be when I am in a whimsical mood. Yup they and also my friends can usally tell my mood by how my hair is.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,154 ✭✭✭✭Sangre

20090626.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

Thaedydal wrote: »
    I ave been know to put it in to buns as well sorta anime/camy style these

I do this a lot :)

I thought tangles were from rolling around in the mud as a young one?

*eyes the tangled ones suspiciously*

I put zippo effort into my hair. I often forget to brush it.
    Friends and loved ones have been known to sneak up behind me with a brush. :o

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

I've never had long hair, even as a child it was short, the longest it's ever been was down to my jawline and I could put it in a tiny ponytail that looked ridiculous :D

Anyway OP if you are happy with your hair then forget what your friend said, as lots of others have said, looking young is a real bonus :)

• Advertisement

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I thought tangles were from rolling around in the mud as a young one?

*eyes the tangled ones suspiciously*

I put zippo effort into my hair. I often forget to brush it.
    Friends and loved ones have been known to sneak up behind me with a brush. :o
    You have obviously seen photos of my husband! Yes, it does get badly tangled from, ahem, rigorous exercise! I brush it once or twice a day as it means that it is less likely to cause me pain when I wash it...it does take a lot of effort but I love it and feel that it is me...OP, in the end of the day you can put your hair up to make it look short but it is far harder to make it look long...do whatever makes you feel happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭tabouli

Op do what you want. You're the one who has to live with it. I've had both long hair and short hair.

I had hair to my bum when I was younger and cut it all off to a bob above my chin. I've always been doing that. I get sick of it easily. I went from this to (see attachment) about two months ago. Although my hair grows super fast, it'll be back how it was by Christmas I'd say.

If you fancy a change or want to look older then maybe colour it or split it differently of change the shape of it. If you're not used to short hair it can be a bitch to learn to style but then again, it's savage being able to jump out of the shower after 2 minutes and have it dry and done less than ten minutes after that :P

Link not working, edited to add attachment. :)

Just wanted to say, I think the short hair is absolutely gorgeous on you!! It's really hard to pull off hair like that, when I had it I looked like a boy :pac:

OP, don't listen to your friend! Do what you like with your hair, like the other posters said I'd imagine it's a case of hair envy. Currently in the process of trying to grow mine, it's *nearly* shoulder length, kind of inbetween but I'll persevere for now :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,568 ✭✭✭candy-gal1

long hair is always hot and stylish on girls! its just personal preference really! as long as tis free of split ends, and u style it differently occaisionally then its always gonna look good!
    i had my hair really long, never cut it, right down to my ass up to the age of 14, i only cut it, shoulder length, because i didnt pay it the attention it deserved-conditioning treatments, trims, etc and it was starting to look ratty! have been growing my hair now since Dec 07 and am quite happy and it looks good now :) my OH always calls me cute and childy and i love it :) even when i had shortish hair when we met!
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 30,731 ✭✭✭✭princess-lala

I had hair to my bum when I was younger and cut it all off to a bob above my chin. I've always been doing that. I get sick of it easily. I went from this to (see attachment) about two months ago. Although my hair grows super fast, it'll be back how it was by Christmas I'd say.

Link not working, edited to add attachment. :)

Wow either suit you but the short hair is FAB on you :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

i couldnt cut my hair short ever..

love my long hair, never dyed it either, dont think i ever will.

emo!! wrote: »
    i couldnt cut my hair short ever..

love my long hair, never dyed it either, dont think i ever will.

I'm mad to dye mine fire engine red.....but I am a coward. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,821 ✭✭✭RxQueen

fire engine red it cool :) all madly bright colours are.. love blue hair on people

i always said if i hadnt gingerish hair, i would dye it no problem, but the colour i have now would be near impossible to get back

oh and op , friends, can say cruel things (hell i was know as the extra for the hanson brother band, when i was in school cause of my hair) .. but once you're happy with it what does it matter, what one silly person said!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Moonbaby wrote: »
    I'm mad to dye mine fire engine red.....but I am a coward. :(

Fancy meeting you here :pac:

Do one of those semi-permanent ones to see how it goes first. There's a women in her 30's in my english class at college and she has her hair bleached and dyed fire engine red, she dresses her age and isn't trying to act cool or pretend to be 18 and it looks savage! Do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

I love my hair. It's the only part of me that gets more than passing attention - and that's not very often either.

I currently have shoulder length hair (I got it cut in January and haven't had time to get it done again since, but I'm going to have to in a few weeks time as I have a wedding coming up). I wash and condition it daily, usually blowdry too as it's horribly fine and thick, so it takes forever to dry.

I did have it half way down my back at one stage, but it took too much maintenance. At the moment you wouldn't know I hadn't had my hair cut in 5 and a half months. When it was a few inches longer it really did. I dye my hair regularly myself and it's the best pampering treat because I always feel a little bit new afterwards - there's potential in them thar hairdyes!

OP - wear your hair however you feel comfortable. Nobody knows why your friend said what she did, but unless the hair is on her head, the decision is ultimately yours. if you think your hairstyle could do with being updated, talk to your hairdresser and get suggestions - just remember hair grows back (eventually).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 241 ✭✭thatone!

Thank you all :D

Well I bit the bullet and got it cut. Not because of what my friend said, i decided I needed a change. It's just below my shoulders and I now have side fringe :D So I still have my long hair and I don't look as childish :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

thatone! wrote: »
    Thank you all :D

Well I bit the bullet and got it cut. Not because of what my friend said, i decided I needed a change. It's just below my shoulders and I now have side fringe :D So I still have my long hair and I don't look as childish :D

Glad to hear you didnt do anything too dramatic with it! I've done that a couple of times, and its too much of shock to the system.

Sounds nice though! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

It's an absolute myth that short hair is lower maintenance! Up til the age of 12 I had to get my hair cut the same as my brother's at a barber (:eek:), so in rebellion, I grew it emo-style in my teens - waist-length, middle-parting, split ends, the photos are so cringey! I copped on a bit though when I was about 16 and got it cut to about three inches past my shoulders, and have kept it like that since, with various layers and fringes when I fancied a change. A couple of years ago I got it cut into sort of a bob though, and it was SO difficult to look after! I always had to blow-dry and straighten it, and use all kinds of products, it drove me crazy! It's long again now and it's great, I often don't dry it or even brush it after washing it and it magically falls right into place. Maybe it's because it's quite thick, it kind of weighs itself down to pull out the kinks (if that makes sense!)

I think people think you're sort of obliged to cut your hair into a short "Irish Mammy" style when you reach a certain age. I'm never going to do that! I'm all for experimenting with different styles - after all, it'll always grow back again - but I think that some people are just suited to long hair and not short hair, and vice versa.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Dont get your hair cut!!!!

Get it layered, feathered anyway you want it but leave the length. Open any magazine and the majority of women have long hair and they are beautiful. Short hair is lovely just not on everyone, unless you are Halle Berry!

take it from someone that had to borrow 650 euro to get extensions in cos she messed up and cut it short :(

• Registered Users Posts: 37,485 ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Trinity wrote: »
    650 euro

:eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My wallet just had a stroke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

CathyMoran wrote: »
    but also my long hair feels so much a part of me that when it was gone I did not feel "me" if that makes any sense. You can do so much with long hair, not so much with short (in my opinion).

I'm so glad the long hair grew back. I have the odd rather morbid moment at the hairdressers wondering how I'd cope if ever I needed chemo and lost my hair. It must be so much more traumatic for people who have never had short hair.
    aoibhebree wrote: »
    It's an absolute myth that short hair is lower maintenance!

Agreed, my hair is half way down my back and fairly thick but the maintenance isn't that bad. I can get it washed, dried, ghd'd in about 35-40 minutes. I tie it back when it's in the way and I always put a conditioning treatment in it once a week because long hair that's in bad condition isn't nice. Men love my hair.

I don't understand girls wanting to grow their hair long for the wedding. If you are convinced the long hair would look better for the wedding wouldn't it look better every other day too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Khannie wrote: »
    :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

My wallet just had a stroke

It's ok it wasn't your wallet i borrowed it from ;)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

sunnyside wrote: »
    Agreed, my hair is half way down my back and fairly thick but the maintenance isn't that bad. I can get it washed, dried, ghd'd in about 35-40 minutes. I tie it back when it's in the way and I always put a conditioning treatment in it once a week because long hair that's in bad condition isn't nice.
    Also agree totally. My hair is a natural caramel blonde and almost down to my bum. It's pretty thick too but only takes about 45mins to wash, dry and straighten. I get highlights done during the summer to brighten it up and leave it alone during the winter. I get charged 'long hair' rate at the hairdressers but so does everyone with hair below shoulder-length! With short hair, it needs to be washed more frequently, styled, straightened etc. Long hair can certainly be easier to maintain. Plus you can tie it in a low ponytail and then clip it up higher to give a shorter hair appearance, wear a ponytail, plait, french plait, tie it up with colourful clips etc etc..

Plus, if someone with short hair tells you you should cut your hair, be wary.. it could indeed be a case of the green eyed monster. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

Caderyn wrote: »
    I get charged 'long hair' rate at the hairdressers but so does everyone with hair below shoulder-length!

I can accept being charged long hair rate but a lot of places have done away with that and charge everyone the same which I think is really unfair on short-haired people.

I'm so glad the long hair grew back. I have the odd rather morbid moment at the hairdressers wondering how I'd cope if ever I needed chemo and lost my hair. It must be so much more traumatic for people who have never had short hair.
    Yes, it was very traumatic, though most people are advised by their hairdressers to get it cut to a much shorter length before hand, so you sort of get some time with short hair (though not much)...in my case from starting chemo to it falling out enough that it was coming out in large clumps was 2-3 weeks (I am fuzzy on dates). I thought that I would be fine without a wig but was persuaded by everyone to get one (the fact that I was getting married was another factor), as luck would have it the wig arrived the day that I needed it. From the start of it growing back to it getting down to bra strap level (well most of it) was 27 months. This does sound horrible but you cope and being bald looks amazing!

I suppose that for the above reasons I really appreciate my hair, I do not take it for granted. OP - am glad that you still kept it reasonably long and I still think that your friend is just jelous of you - let me guess that she has short hair.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

I can accept being charged long hair rate but a lot of places have done away with that and charge everyone the same which I think is really unfair on short-haired people.

But see I don't get that, being charged different prices according to length? OK, it'll take them a bit longer to dry long hair. But as for the actually cutting, how is it any more difficult to cut long hair? If anything, short styles are usually very layered and you would think that they would take more time and effort? Any hairdressers out there able to enlighten me? :)

Advertisement