Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long hair

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

sunnyside wrote: »
    I can accept being charged long hair rate but a lot of places have done away with that and charge everyone the same which I think is really unfair on short-haired people.

Given how short I like my hair, using a barber the next time I get my hair cut is very tempting. And cheaper :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,760 ✭✭✭skywards

I've tried having short hair over the years. And, to be frank, it looks awful on me. So, I keep mine long. I rarely do anything other than brush it and tie it back, and yet people continuously tell me its fabulous *blink*. I love it long, I doubt I'll ever cut it :p.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Mine's usually midlength, it gets in my way too much if it goes too far below my shoulders. It's absolutely straight though, so it goes flat and boring pretty quickly...I know anyone who lived through the 80s is like eek no, but sometimes I'm just so tempted to perm it...:o

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

mine was starting to get quite long a while ago, and was just so much effort (im a zero-effort kinda person with hair, and most appearance related things) but having poker straight hair all my life, i loved it when i was just out of the surf and it was all knotted and wavy and wild looking. got about 2 months without brushing it before it started getting way out of hand... so i ended up taking care of it again and it was boring and i cut it up to my ears, the shortest it's been since i was a baby. i loved it, there was something quite freeing about it...

so when someone jokingly siad i should shave it next, i was kinda intrigued...

shaved it three months ago now and i have never enjoyed my hair so much! from it turning to velcro when i tried to take a beanie off (you have to peel, not pull), to that awful phase where it looked exactly like my bro's hair, to now where i've got a good inch and a bit all round and it's starting to poke out beneath my beanie. had so so much fun growing it out and hte plan is to just not cut it again, and put dreads in once it gets long enough.

i'd say do whatever feels right, OP. i enjoyed being able to dye and style my hair while it was long, but it was just the right time for me to chop/shave it all off this year, and it's the best thing ive ever done. do what feels right, what looks like fun and what you like the look of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 697 ✭✭✭chocgirl

My hair would be considered fairly long I think, kinda mid-back, but it's in good condition. I'd never have the guts to cut it and it wouldn't suit me at all. I do worry about getting older though and what I'll do then. Can't imagine still having long hair at 60plus. Actually have to wear my hair up for work which I hate:mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

mine was starting to get quite long a while ago, and was just so much effort (im a zero-effort kinda person with hair, and most appearance related things) but having poker straight hair all my life, i loved it when i was just out of the surf and it was all knotted and wavy and wild looking. got about 2 months without brushing it before it started getting way out of hand... so i ended up taking care of it again and it was boring and i cut it up to my ears, the shortest it's been since i was a baby. i loved it, there was something quite freeing about it...

so when someone jokingly siad i should shave it next, i was kinda intrigued...

shaved it three months ago now and i have never enjoyed my hair so much! from it turning to velcro when i tried to take a beanie off (you have to peel, not pull), to that awful phase where it looked exactly like my bro's hair, to now where i've got a good inch and a bit all round and it's starting to poke out beneath my beanie. had so so much fun growing it out and hte plan is to just not cut it again, and put dreads in once it gets long enough.

i'd say do whatever feels right, OP. i enjoyed being able to dye and style my hair while it was long, but it was just the right time for me to chop/shave it all off this year, and it's the best thing ive ever done. do what feels right, what looks like fun and what you like the look of.

Shaving my head is something I'd love to do!! I just don't have the balls, I'm all for drastic cuts and colours but I'd need to work myself up for getting rid of the whole lot. Definitely something to do before I die though. Only thing I'd be worried about is if I had some weird lump on my head that I'd never noticed before and with no hair it was really visible or something! I don't think a shaved head is really my 'style' either. I'm not a girly girl and can be quite androgynous looking clothes-wise I think a shaved head might make me look like a bloke..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,045 ✭✭✭Húrin

long hair ftw indeed. girls should never have really short hair!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Short hair is for doc marten wearing lesbians.

That is all

Max Power.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,196 ✭✭✭Crumble Froo

Shaving my head is something I'd love to do!! I just don't have the balls, I'm all for drastic cuts and colours but I'd need to work myself up for getting rid of the whole lot. Definitely something to do before I die though. Only thing I'd be worried about is if I had some weird lump on my head that I'd never noticed before and with no hair it was really visible or something! I don't think a shaved head is really my 'style' either. I'm not a girly girl and can be quite androgynous looking clothes-wise I think a shaved head might make me look like a bloke..

go for it! when i did it, my initial haircut kinda synched in with a nationwide charity headshave thing, raise funds for leukaemia and blood cancer, so i did it for that, managed to raise over $1,000 which was awesome, for something i was probably gonna do anyway, but i found it a lot easier to tell some people that i was doing it for a charity thing than just cos i wanted to (my mother in particular..).

plus, doing it for a charity, and people having put money towards me doing it, meant that i couldnt chicken out either, and believe me, i did come close after all the hype.

i will admit that im not a girly girl either and can be quite androgynouse looking clothes-wise as well... and one one occasion, appear to have been mistaken for a bloke (myself and my partner were walking home from a gig one night, holding hands, car drives past and someone shouts out '****ing homos' from it). and last week, with my hair about an inch and a bit thick a mate of a mate apparently asked if i was a lesbian, which i only heard about the day after.

most people are impressed with it, tbh, and im amazed how many people say 'id love to do that!'... just do it! no time like the present, and at worst, you'll have a funny story and pics that starts with 'it seemed like a good idea at the time...' ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Max Power1 wrote: »
    Short hair is for doc marten wearing lesbians.
    You say that like it's a bad thing :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,428 ✭✭✭sunnyside

aoibhebree wrote: »
    But see I don't get that, being charged different prices according to length? OK, it'll take them a bit longer to dry long hair. But as for the actually cutting, how is it any more difficult to cut long hair? If anything, short styles are usually very layered and you would think that they would take more time and effort? Any hairdressers out there able to enlighten me? :)

Agreed, it was colour I was thinking of, long hair might require 3-4 packets of dye, really short hair might only need 1. It takes ages to do a salon blowdry on long hair though.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,195 ✭✭✭✭Michellenman

Agreed, it was colour I was thinking of, long hair might require 3-4 packets of dye, really short hair might only need 1. It takes ages to do a salon blowdry on long hair though.

Another thing I don't understand is why they dye your hair before they cut it. I had really hair once I was getting cut super short and they dyed it before the cut and charged me for having long hair... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,154 ✭✭✭Dolbert

I've almost always had long hair, right now it's down to the middle of my back. It's not a concious thing, I'm just far too lazy to get it cut regularly enough! That and it grows ridiculously fast. Other people seem far more attached to my long hair than I am, some of the reactions I got when I cut it before were a bit OTT to say the least!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Yeah, if I'm getting highlights the colourist is like "I NEED MORE PACKETS!" "I NEED PACKETS NOW!!" :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,796 ✭✭✭MJOR

you need to be happy with how it is... that is the important thing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,402 ✭✭✭Aisling(",)

i have long thick wavy hair that is halfway down my back,like a few inches past the bra strap and i wouldnt change it!

i love having long hair and i dont have the face to pull off shorter hair.
    dunno how long id let it get though,used to sit on it and that was annoying!

• Registered Users Posts: 496 ✭✭rantyface

Most teenage girls have long, straightened hair. I suppose if you don't want to look like a teenager, getting a braver haircut can help, but it's nice to look like a teenager if you are one!

I've looked about 16 since I was 11, and I'm 22 now and I'm sick of looking like a teenager. I prefer my hair layered just past my shoulders because it goes flat after that.

• I just got a bob, it's grand, it's a change, but I think I prefer long hair. The thing I like is my hair looks thicker and fuller in the bob and tends to be very limp and straight when long. I don't like the 'flat to the head' look a lot of people (inc myself!) get when they have their hair long. I dunno why people think shorter hair is high maintenance though - I have to spend WAY more time now. Sure, it's quicker to wash, but I have to dry it carefully so it sits right, use straighteners sometimes, some wax on the layers....takes a lot more time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I've got long (mid-back), layered, wild-looking hair. No straighteners for me. Just a lot of mousse, a round brush and a blow-dryer. Washing/"styling"/blow-drying only takes about 20ish minutes.

Kind of looks like (I know, horrible reference, but) Ruby's hair from Home and Away, but a little less wavy and a dark honey blonde colour (natural).

I love it. I don't like the whole pristine, over-groomed, perfectly straightened thang. I'll keep my wild hair, leather jacket and ripped jeans, thanks. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Eh, I'm a bit confused - lots of longer haired posters have suggested that people with short hair are jealous of their hair. Where does the misconception come from? I have a few friends with what I would call long hair - past their shoulder blades - but they're the exception, not the rule.

Are those of us with short to mid-length hair just subconsciously sabotaging ourselves when we go to the hairdressers, or am I missing something? I'd never, ever grow my hair as long as I had it before - and I definitely can't fathom how anyone would suggest you get away with washing your hair less if it's longer.

• Advertisement

Well if my hair is limp or a bit greasy I can just pin it up with lots of colourful clips to disguise it! I'm guessing someone with short hair couldn't do that but since I've only ever had long hair I couldn't say for certain.
    And I don't think people with long hair are saying people with short hair are jealous, as such, just that it takes a lot longer to grow hair long than to cut it short so the OP should think carefully before making such a big decision. And if someone with short hair keeps telling you to cut it short you do start to think why? What's their problem? Is this person jealous, is that why they keep on at me to cut it? Or maybe I'm just naturally suspicious!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 467 ✭✭aoibhebree

liah wrote: »
    Kind of looks like (I know, horrible reference, but) Ruby's hair from Home and Away, but a little less wavy and a dark honey blonde colour (natural).

Do you have weird little feathers and beads hanging from it? :P

Ooh, sexy. :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 645 ✭✭✭TriceMarie

[quote=[Deleted User];61005313]I just got a bob, it's grand, it's a change, but I think I prefer long hair. The thing I like is my hair looks thicker and fuller in the bob and tends to be very limp and straight when long. I don't like the 'flat to the head' look a lot of people (inc myself!) get when they have their hair long./quote]

Completely agree!
    I had my hair long all my life,up until two years ago when I started to "experiment"

First got a choppy feathery style,like Elliot from Scrubs.
    Then left it grow out to mid-back length.
    Then got a bob,which I loved.
    It added definition to my face,and didn't look flat.And as my hair is so fine,it gave me volume and looked thicker(Also dying it dark helped with this too,as I'm naturaly very blonde)

Now my hair is shoulder length,and I want it long again.
    Even though it used to bug the hell outta me at times and wanted to go just get it chopped up :p lol

A case of the "you want what you don't have" I think lol

But yea OP,if you like your hair long fcek her!:D
    Do what you want,or what you think looks good :p
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,000 ✭✭✭spinandscribble

Blush_01 wrote: »
    Eh, I'm a bit confused - lots of longer haired posters have suggested that people with short hair are jealous of their hair. Where does the misconception come from? I have a few friends with what I would call long hair - past their shoulder blades - but they're the exception, not the rule.

Are those of us with short to mid-length hair just subconsciously sabotaging ourselves when we go to the hairdressers, or am I missing something? I'd never, ever grow my hair as long as I had it before - and I definitely can't fathom how anyone would suggest you get away with washing your hair less if it's longer.

i don't think most people are jealous. to be honest if someone has healthy long hair, i'd never suggest they'd cut it. when i had long hair it was in fab condition and i never had any suggestions (bitter or otherwise) to cut it. i honestly can't think of one but i did have plenty of people telling me to never cut it.

however, and lets be honest, a good few girls with long hair have a heap of split ends, flat dull colour. i can think of a few that i knew that claimed jealousy whenever anyone suggested a trim but had awful straggly hair.

• I've definitely experienced some people with long hair thinking others are jealous or bizarrely, thinking long hair is something special. I had one snotty ex-flatmate go on about how she only trusted one hairdresser with her hair (it was just long and straight, pretty boring looking IMO). What am I missing? Most people can grow their hair very long, it's not like it takes a special talent or superior genes. I usually keep my hair around shoulder length and when I used to get comments like 'ooh your hair is getting long', I took that as a reminder that it needed cutting! My hair is in great condition and grows very fast, if I wanted long hair I could have it within a year. If I had liked long hair that much, I wouldn't have got my hair cut short in the first place! I just don't understand the snotty attitude.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

[quote=[Deleted User];61033207]Most people can grow their hair very long, it's not like it takes a special talent or superior genes.[/QUOTE]

Thats is where you are wrong. I have very thick hair, and it is quite hard to control. But keeping it longer adds weight to it somewhat, and that helps. If I were to cut my hair short it would probably stand on end.

Theres no snottiness about it, some women just prefer their hair longer.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Abigayle wrote: »
    Thats is where you are wrong. I have very thick hair, and it is quite hard to control. But keeping it longer adds weight to it somewhat, and that helps. If I were to cut my hair short it would probably stand on end.

Theres no snottiness about it, some women just prefer their hair longer.

???? I didn't say some people didn't look better with long hair. I said some people act like having long hair is really special when in reality 1) the majority of women can grow their hair long if they so desire and 2) quite a lot of those with long hair would probably look better with shorter hair due to split ends, limpness, whatever. Of course some women have long hair which looks lovely and is in perfect condition but I'm really talking about people who are patronising/snotty towards shorter haired women. It does happen!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Haha, no, but I've considered it.. I love stuff like that. It'd probably just annoy me though, taking it in and out!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

I saw a girl the other day in an underground car park, with her hair at her bum it was really long and i thought it looked pretty sexy,

Advertisement