Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Long hair

Options
124»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

[quote=[Deleted User];61037206]I didn't say some people didn't look better with long hair. [/quote]
    Funny that. I never said you did either.
    1) the majority of women can grow their hair long if they so desire
    Not every woman can grow her hair long and keep it in good condition. It takes a lot of care to keep it free of dry ends, shiney and healthy looking.
    2) quite a lot of those with long hair would probably look better with shorter hair due to split ends, limpness, whatever.
    Women who want to keep their length should visit their hairdresser just as often as anyone else. By doing this, it will keep the hair free of dry / split ends etc.
    but I'm really talking about people who are patronising/snotty towards shorter haired women. It does happen!

I don't understand this. What exactly could someone with long hair have to say to someone with short hair that is patronising or snotty? :confused: I take it you've had some sort of an experience, but I'm at a loss here to understand your point otherwise.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• Abigayle - I was trying not to be rude, but your last post had absolutely nothing to do with what I posted so forgive me for misunderstanding your point.
    Originally Posted by Lucas Uptight Loudspeaker
    Most people can grow their hair very long, it's not like it takes a special talent or superior genes.

Thats is where you are wrong. I have very thick hair, and it is quite hard to control. But keeping it longer adds weight to it somewhat, and that helps. If I were to cut my hair short it would probably stand on end.

I said it doesn't take a special talent/genetic make up to grow hair long and you responded that growing your hair long adds weight to it. :confused: The part of my post you quoted had nothing to do with your reply.
    Not every woman can grow her hair long and keep it in good condition. It takes a lot of care to keep it free of dry ends, shiney and healthy looking.

Obviously. But anyone can take care of their hair if they want to. Getting regular trims and using the right products is hardly rocket science :confused:
    I don't understand this. What exactly could someone with long hair have to say to someone with short hair that is patronising or snotty? I take it you've had some sort of an experience, but I'm at a loss here to understand your point otherwise.

Things like 'not everyone can grow their hair long' :rolleyes: Of course they can. Also silly little digs like 'oh it must be boring not being able to do anything with your hair' (as if ponytails and buns are really exciting) and 'don't you feel unfeminine with short hair?' There is a definite air of superiority from some women with long hair and I don't get it at all. I had long hair almost all my life until recently and I never had that attitude.

[quote=[Deleted User];61038098]Obviously. But anyone can take care of their hair if they want to. Getting regular trims and using the right products is hardly rocket science :confused:[/quote]
    Nobody said it was. But we'd be in agreement that some people don't take care of their long hair, and it looks like sh1t basically. That is the point I was trying to make.
    Things like 'not everyone can grow their hair long' :rolleyes:
    You are easily annoyed. Selective quoting won't make your point for you nor will the :rolleyes:, you basically just removed the point I made after that.

Setting that aside, my hair isn't very long. but I like having the length so I can make it a bit different every day. I wouldn't be able to do my own variations of this or this without having some length. I like to put my hair in two funky side buns, and sometimes two loose braids around the crown of my head. I change my hair style with my styles of clothes.
    and 'don't you feel unfeminine with short hair?' There is a definite air of superiority from some women with long hair and I don't get it at all. I had long hair almost all my life until recently and I never had that attitude.
    Whoever said that to you is an out and out bitch or plain stupid.

I've had my hair short before, and I can't really get away with it. It doesn't suit my face shape and I cannot control it. If you are happy with your hair short, that is all that matters.
    Post edited by Boards.ie: Mike on

• I don't get annoyed, I just think it's sad (when said by bitchy girls, not quoting you here!). It's like saying 'not everyone can make Rice Krispie cakes'. It's no great achievement to grow your hair long, but a lot of women do act like it is. I know it's bitchy, and silly and probably down to insecurity but it's very odd.

You can still do a lot of different looks with short hair, especially a bob. I'm surprised how much I can do with it and how different each style looks depending on how I straighten it. I can pull my fringe back or to the side with cute clips, I can do a little ponytail or pigtails, wear it straight with a hairband... I'll probably grow it out again after this but I'm enjoying the novelty! I can definitely see why people like having short hair.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,562 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Girls with short hair can be bitchy .
    "You've never had your hair short? MY GOD. How boooring."
    "Ooh, a ponytail again. How.. uh.. exciting."
    Girls with long hair can be bitchy.
    "Your hair's so short, I didn't know you were a lezzer.."
    "Wow. A bob. I haven't had one of those since I was three."

To summarise, my scientific findings; after minutes of research is that are all girls can be bitchy, no matter what their hair length.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,909 ✭✭✭✭Busi_Girl08

The only way I can really describe my hair is part James May, part Alan Davies.

I like it though :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Caderyn wrote: »
    Girls with short hair can be bitchy .
    "You've never had your hair short? MY GOD. How boooring."
    "Ooh, a ponytail again. How.. uh.. exciting."
    Girls with long hair can be bitchy.
    "Your hair's so short, I didn't know you were a lezzer.."
    "Wow. A bob. I haven't had one of those since I was three."

To summarise, my scientific findings; after minutes of research is that are all girls can be bitchy, no matter what their hair length.

Then your findings are flawed and you need a better sample group.

Thaedydal wrote: »
    Then your findings are flawed and you need a better sample group.
    Bald girls?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,016 ✭✭✭Blush_01

Well if my hair is limp or a bit greasy I can just pin it up with lots of colourful clips to disguise it! I'm guessing someone with short hair couldn't do that but since I've only ever had long hair I couldn't say for certain.

Unless you have very, very short hair - as in razor blade short - you can disguise some of it with some hair accessory. Even at stubble stage you can use hairbands and scarves.

I'd rather have clean, shiny, touchable hair than lots of colourful hair accessories breaking and damaging it, regardless of length. Plus, I have a face like a football - if I didn't have layers I'd look dreadful all the time, my face is so round.

To summarise, my scientific findings;
    No science involved. Don't abuse the word.
    after minutes of research
    Uh huh.
    is that are all girls can be bitchy
    The causes behind it being;

1) Jealousy
    2) Stupidity

Not all women are bitches.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 428 ✭✭ciagr297

Abigayle wrote: »
    But we'd be in agreement that some people don't take care of their long hair, and it looks like sh1t basically. That is the point I was trying to make.

absolutely agreed on this point. there is a girl in the office here and her hair is waaaay long but it looks awful. its dry, looks like brushing it at all would break it. its pretty obvious she doesn't put the effort in to get even good shampoo.
    its really a shame, if you can be bothered to grow your hair that long and not look after it:(

on a tangent here though, one of the other girls had her long hair cut back to a short bob the other day on the premise that she is "too old" for long hair. she's 24!!!

does anyone else have those ideas about what age you shouldn't have long hair??

ciagr297 wrote: »
    on a tangent here though, one of the other girls had her long hair cut back to a short bob the other day on the premise that she is "too old" for long hair. she's 24!!!
    That is really odd!
    does anyone else have those ideas about what age you shouldn't have long hair??

There is no cut-off point for having long hair (excuse pun :pac:). Some women however, prefer to get it cut to a more managable style as they get older. I cant imagine doing it myself though! Tying it up more often maybe :)

• Registered Users Posts: 476 ✭✭Nuggles

Long hair can be lovely.

But it depends on the hair.

If it's healthy, and ends are trimmed it's nice. But I don't think many people can pull off the curtains style. It needs a bit of shape.

What kind of wackos think people are jealous when they suggest a hair cut. That's very paranoid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 844 ✭✭✭allabouteve

Had very long hair until fairly recently, now its just barely shoulder length. Its so much easier to deal with, and so much faster to manage, that I doubt I'll ever go back to giving it the time I used to tbh.

Abigayle wrote: »
    No science involved. Don't abuse the word.

Uh huh.

The causes behind it being;

1) Jealousy
    2) Stupidity

Not all women are bitches.
    Being a woman, I do know that. Jeez, it was only a joke because I thought things were getting a bit heated between Lucas Uptight Loudspeaker and Abigayle. :(

*Backs out of Ladies Lounge and runs away*

• Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭SarcasticFairy

I have pretty long hair - It's about half-way down my back, or a little longer. I love it, and don't see myself cutting it any shorter anytime soon! Don't think I'll let it get much longer either though! :)

I wouldn't do anything to my hair just because a friend said so though, especially not something huge and drastic! I'd have to want it myself. :)

Being a woman, I do know that. Jeez, it was only a joke because I thought things were getting a bit heated between Lucas Uptight Loudspeaker and Abigayle. :(

I get heated about nothing on a discussion board, I don't see the point of it. I like debating my point, and can be analytical in my approach. So intervention wasn't really required ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭MonicaBing

Jesus i'm 34 and have long hair below my shoulder blades and constantly get complimented on it! It's my one vanity and is very well looked after, cut every 6 weeks, colour every 2 months etc. Are the feckers lying? So begs the question, how old is too old for long hair??

I think women in their thirties/forties/fifties can look sexy and glamorous no mater what their hair length. It's a matter of style and confidence in my opinion. Lisa Kudrow had long hair in ponytails in 'Friends' a lot and she was in her mid thirties and looked amazing. :)
    As for 'how old is too old', I think old ladies with really long grey hair can be a bit scary. So I figure I'll cut my hair into a nice shiny silver bob when I'm around 65... or 75 depending if I've had botox. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

I had long hair for the longest time - since I was a kid! It never got shorter than 2 inches past my shoulders, and at its longest was past my waist. Now I've been blessed with thick, smooth hair with a slight wave that's easily manageable. People loved my long hair and so did I. No one ever suggested I cut it short. In fact, they would tell me to never ever cut it, as if the world would end when I did.
    But last May I did cut it short! Well, not super short. I cut it just above my shoulders. I wanted a change after all these years. The hair dresser warned me against it. She said I had such pretty hair and boys don't like short hair. But I did it anyway. And you know what? I really like it. I have a heart shaped face and my new hair cut brings out my bone structure in a way long hair never did, no matter the layers or framing. When she was done, the hairdresser said, "Wow you have a really angelic face!" And everyone else seems to like it too.
    I'm getting it cut again this weekend - taking about 1-2 inches off - because my hair grows so quickly, it's already getting past my shoulders again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,038 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Yeah OP to echo what others are saying it's your hair so forget what people say. I was the opposite with short hair that I grew long because people were making comments because as everybody knows having short hair means you're a lesbian :rolleyes: It got to my shoulders then I couldn't take it anymore and got it cut short again and thats the way it's staying!

tk123 wrote: »
    Yeah OP to echo what others are saying it's your hair so forget what people say. I was the opposite with short hair that I grew long because people were making comments because as everybody knows having short hair means you're a lesbian :rolleyes: It got to my shoulders then I couldn't take it anymore and got it cut short again and thats the way it's staying!

Its what each woman prefers herself is all that important. Some women with long hair can't get away with having a shorter cut. I know I can't, my face shape is all wrong for it :/

I got my hair cut a couple of days ago to my shoulder blades, just to keep the ends healthy looking. I can feel the difference in the weight of my hair, and its a nightmare to get it settled again after washing it :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

My hair is about 2 inches past my shoulders. I think. It's longish but never really grows past that. I wish it did. I get loads of compliments on my hair. I think I'd look horrible with short hair, everyone I know who I've asked has agreed that my hair should stay long. And what's this "don't part it in the middle" craic? My hair just naturally parts in the middle and looks grand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 189 ✭✭strongbluebell

It's all down to how you look after it, if it's shiny, healthy and well cared for then have it whatever way YOU enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

christ long hair made me look like someones grandfather.... now i actually look 19 rather than a pensioner

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Lady Athame

I've had long hair for about two years now! And guys its not worth it, I take care of my hair but somehow it always seems to get horribly tangled every morning when I wake up. Brushing it is the most painful thing ever after wards and i'm wondering does anyone know any really good conditioners that might stop this happening? I use Tresemme now:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,662 ✭✭✭Trinity

Can you not plait it going to bed?

My extensions are in bits, half of them are gone already :(

Just read back the replies, have to say i have never encountered bitchiness over hair :confused:

I have been envious in a, god i'd love her hair kinda way but that in no way makes me jealous or bitchy!

I cant grow my hair long myself owing to trichotillomania (sp), its OCD, i pull out my hair. My hair was my crowning glory til i developed this cursed compulsion aged 18, hence why i have to pay so much money to cover up my bald patches and short sticky uppy bits!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 42 Lady Athame

Trinity wrote: »

I cant grow my hair long myself owing to trichotillomania (sp), its OCD, i pull out my hair. My hair was my crowning glory til i developed this cursed compulsion aged 18, hence why i have to pay so much money to cover up my bald patches and short sticky uppy bits!

Oh sorry to hear that, I wash my hands untill they crack and bleed (OCD)so I know how you feel on some level :(

Advertisement