Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

plumbing issues

Options
  • 01-07-2009 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

hi,
    i have 2 problems. not sure if they are even related.

first, my overflow pipe seems over-active i.e. every day i come home the path underneath is soaked as though it's been flowing for a good while. got the plummer to look at it and he said it wsa s'thing to do with the ball cock in the water tank and "fixed" it but it hasn't solved it.

now for the ? related bit? prob not but i don't know jack! :confused:
    i'm using my immersion now for the summer. i've always set it for 15mins in the morning for my shower - there's only me! it's als been enough water for just me - i'm quick! however, recently, it seems to vary! it's set EXACTLY the same every day yet, some days i run out of hot water quicker and no, it's not that i'm taking longer! i don't understand it.

thermostat problem?? i got this "fixed" about 4 years ago. If so, would it be possible, it's banjaxed again?? or is it that the hot water seems to flow out my overflow pipe more than it should?

fogive the total lack of knowledge here!! Help!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

I am crap at the sub paraging so perhaps you teach me how to split the problem in 2.

The first problem as you rightly note it might be the ball cock there is a DIY way of testing this. Flush all the toilets together and quickly climb to the tank and watch the water rise, if it just stops short of the overflow the overflow arm just might need to be bent down a bit. If this does not make sense let me know and I will try explain better.

The second problem I know this sounds stupid but is there a chance your switch is on sink instead of bath. Also I would never put on an immersion for less than half an hour. As you rightly note it might be a thermostat problem. There is 2 issues here

1. If you get an electrician out to check the thermostat and its not it s/he will caharge you a call out fee.

2. If you get a plumber out to replace it you will need an electrician to replace it anyway

In my honest opinion if it went b efore it might be time to change the immersion which although might seem more expensive could eliminate the problem

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭paddles

ok, thanks. but what i don't understnd is how much over flow is normal? should it release an amount of water every day if it's not all used? and if not, then is it abnormal for such an amount to flow out on daily basis?
    thanks

paddles wrote: »
    ok, thanks. but what i don't understnd is how much over flow is normal? should it release an amount of water every day if it's not all used? and if not, then is it abnormal for such an amount to flow out on daily basis?
    thanks

No water should be released water should stop rising about 2" below the overflow, Just look at your neighbours you should be able to see the scum mark

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

The two problems could be related. You may have a leak in the coil in the immersion tank i.e. the copper coil through which the hot water from the boiler flows to heat the water in the cylinder.

What may be happening is that water from the cylinder is leaking through the coil and up into the expansion tank. This happens because the head on the main tank is higher than that on the expansion tank.

Since the water from the main tank is replacing water lost to the expansion tank the overall effect will be to cool the water in the cylinder.
    It will also cause the water level in the expansion tank to rise and consequently overflow.

No adjustment on the ballcock would fix this problem, if that is what it is. Best to consult a plumber.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

What danjo said..spot on i reckon!...new coil/heat exchanger/cylinder it looks like.
    If you want to test thate this is the prob do the following.

Run up to the attic and use a bit of string or whatever to tie up your ballcock (so the tank aint filling)
    Run some water from your hot water tap (about 5 litres woould be plenty)
    Go back up the attic and measure the height of the water in the F&E tank...leave it for a few hours and if it has risen then its your hot water cylinder unless you can find someone to replace your heat exchanger.
    Cheers,
    Marty.

• Advertisement

I have never head of this happening thanks for that info! It must be because header tanks are not used any more

Just have a couple of questions, how does this relate to the immersiona and does this only apply to the heating which might be gas there for a sealed system?

Just curious

• Registered Users Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭martyc5674

First thing to do is check if it is the coil or not.(do what i said above)
    This can happen if your system was either pressurised or not.

Anyway...if you are not using your heating coil to heat your water a cheaper "fix" would be to turn off the supply to your coil...which would solve your problem (also if it is the case then manky water from your heating system is leaking into your shower!!)..also the water in your heating system which is treated with inhibitor to stop your radiators from rotting could be currently be getting diluted.
    So isolate the heat exchanger if you can...and spend 15 wquid on some inhibitor and top up your heating system.
    Best of luck,
    Marty.

Advertisement