Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help, I've gone mad

• 01-07-2009 11:44pm
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I lost the run of myself the other day and bought this thing on ebay.

Is there anywhere in Ireland I can get film for it?

It takes the Kodak 620 film, right?

I'm not even sure :/

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭scrubs

i'll agree you have gone mad!!!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Mad? For the sake of twelve pound!? Not at all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,699 ✭✭✭ThOnda

Nice paperweight and dust catcher in the worst case ;)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

No no no, help me, don't mock me!

Ye'll all be sorry when I look super awesome taking pics out on Dun Laoghaire pier with this thing.

Silverfish wrote: »
    No no no, help me, don't mock me!

Fiiiine. :pac:

You should be able to use medium format film in it, I'm not sure on the ins and outs of it, but either by adapting the 120 rolls, or re-spooling them, or just do as Humberklog does and put some 35mm film through it and get some panoramic exposures! It's easy! :)

It's the kind of camera to have some fun with :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

I have a similar one, brownie that takes 620 film, mine opens at the back though so its slightly different to yours. 620 film is hard to come by, but I've managed to jam 120 film into mine. The film itself is the same size and length, but the spools on 120 are thicker and the flanges at either end are slightly thicker and have a greater diameter. You can sand down the flanges at both ends so the the spool is the same length, then file or clip them down so they're the same diameter. It should fit in if you do that.

It helps immensely if you have at least one 620 spool to use as a take up spool (also good for comparisons sakes if you're trying to make a 120 spool the same dimensions). Check inside the camera and there may be one in the film position left there by whoever used the camera last. If you do find one, and you're not doing your own development, make sure to ask for the spool back when you hand the film in, or respool onto a 120 spool when you hand it in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 327 ✭✭cps_goodbuy

I have an AGFA SychroBox, and yeah would definitely be cool to take a few photos with these.

..maybe I can get a digital back? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭.Longshanks.

My dad has one of those. Picked it up in a car boot sale. Its a lovely ornament in our sitting room :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Slav

B&H Photo Video and Central Camera sell 620 films respooled by Film For Classics. Mostly Kodak b/w emulsions but also Kodak colour negative and Kodak and Fuji transparencies. However the price per roll would be comparable to what you paid for your camera.

Slav wrote: »
    B&H Photo Video and Central Camera sell 620 films respooled by Film For Classics. Mostly Kodak b/w emulsions but also Kodak colour negative and Kodak and Fuji transparencies. However the price per roll would be comparable to what you paid for your camera.

Yes, just saw that site :/

Bit of a kicker but it'll be worth it when I take all these cool retro pictures.

I hope I'm convincing ye because I'm not convincing myself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,704 ✭✭✭DaireQuinlan

First things first. Open up the camera. Is there a 620 spool inside ?

It hasn't actually arrived yet, so I'll be back with 20 questions as soon as it does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88 ✭✭JamesTaylorfan

I think you got a bargain there....nice old thing that.

so any digital backs available ? :D

You could make one :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,966 ✭✭✭GhostInTheRuins

Cool, there are a few of these cameras lying about the house and I thought they were completely useless/obsolete. I must try and get some film into one of them for the laugh.

I don't know about you guys, but I had played with the thought of using poloroids or maybe single panels, anyone with any experience?

I've a bit of history with both Polaroids and larger formats. It's fun, it's expensive, the results are lovely :)

I don't know about you guys, but I had played with the thought of using poloroids or maybe single panels, anyone with any experience?

I've been eyeing up some nice 70's/80's polaroids on ebay, I think polaroid photos are fabulous looking.

If I can ever justify squandering it, I'm buying me a Polaroid 180.

• Advertisement

Fajitas! wrote: »
    If I can ever justify squandering it, I'm buying me a Polaroid 180.

There's one on ebay with a buy it now price of 237 euro. That's not too bad.

It's about €227 too bad for me at the moment :pac:

Hey guys, a heads up, there is a poly (don't know the model) in the charity shop beside palmers music shop in waterford.

And it just so happens I'm in Waterford this weekend...

Fingers crossed it's a 180 :pac:

If I'm going in today I can get it and hold onto it for you if you like (if itsthat 180)

Edit: Just checked good old google and nope, definitely not a 180 :(

cheap modern poly I'd say, nothing like a 180

Ah it's grand, I'll mosy on in myself! I have high doubts it'll be a 180 to be honest!

Thanks anyways though!

It's in the back, not on display, theres also an old Kodak and cheapo Olympia :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 beemar

you were stung on the price
    keep an eye out in second shops and you could get one for a few quid. mine was 2 euro. 120 film does work in them. have fun they take wonderful photographs.

It arrived, and there was a spool in it. So that's a start.

I just need to get the manual for it now because it looks complicated (i.e there's not enough buttons and lights and dials, I need those to feel comfortable).

• Advertisement

\o/

Get pressing the few buttons that are on it. Did yours come with the 2.5" LCD screen or the 3" version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,406 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

I made a pinhole lens for my dslr with a body cap heres one of the test shots, good fun, very soft

3725327864_e3b0ea0fc1.jpg

Advertisement