Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

help,

• 02-07-2009 12:45am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18

i have a 00 polo hatch 1.o car, i just saw there is a check light on in the front of clock. what is that meaning
    thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Pete4779

Possibly it means open the manual and check the light??????????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 maoqin

it looks like a engine shape, and there is a word under it said check,
    is this meaning i need give my car a full service

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,038 ✭✭✭stratos

It means the emmision controls may not be functioning properly. It may just need to be reset. A garage will connect a reader to the obd 2 socket in the car and read out whats wrong. Be carefull though garages like changing sensors for no good reason. It could be something as simple as bad petrol caused a misfire or some other passing event. Or more usually a Lambda or oxygen sensor, possibly manifold pressure sensor.

Basicly many sensors around the engine feed into the computer and the computer adjusts various things from these readings to keep the car running efficiently. If a sensor stops reporting or reports a problem, the computer goes into open loop mode and ignores the sensor and uses values it has in a little black book (programmed into its memory) to work the adjustments.

The car will probably seem to be running fine to you, but not running at its best and it may be using more fuel. One thing that tends to happen is garages change good o2 sensors these live in a harsh enviroment and last many miles they don't fail too often. Sometimes a bad spaerk plug or some other fueling issue will cause the readings to be out. Then the o2 sensor gets the blame and gets changed for no good reason and they are expensive.

When this happened on my own car I did some research and bought a code reader for about 80 Euros, in this case it was the O2 sensor which I then changed my self, and I reckon recovered the price of the code reader. One thing I didn't realise though was the amber engine shaped symbol relates only to the engine efficiency sensors and only comes up for emmision harming faults.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 maoqin

thanks, i l go to garage tomorrow

Advertisement