Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medicare Levy Exemption Certificate

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Boca

terencemc wrote: »
    http://www.medicareaustralia.gov.au/public/files/ma_3169_application_for_certification_for_medicare_levy_exemption_purposes_011005.pdf

If you fill this out and you're on the whv you should get an extra 450 back. It's a pain in the ass though as it requires certified copies of every used page of your passport...so it's pretty much impossible to do if you're back in Ireland...

A normal photocopy has worked ok for me so wouldn't worry too much about getting certified copies

• Registered Users Posts: 6,240 ✭✭✭hussey

when I sent mine off last year to medicare, they sent it back as 1 of my 4 pages were not signed ....

anyway if you send off your tax return via the web, you don't have to include this in the electronic process. but if they ask for it you'll need to have it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 brianbroken

I'm currently living in Australia for the past 2 years on a 457 business class visa. Would I be entitled to a medicare levy exemption. If so what is the easiest way to get your passport pages certified.

Thanks in advance

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Boca

I'm currently living in Australia for the past 2 years on a 457 business class visa. Would I be entitled to a medicare levy exemption. If so what is the easiest way to get your passport pages certified.

Thanks in advance

print 'em off, bring them to the nearest medicare office and they'll do it for you there

assuming you are irish then yes.
    Easist is to photocopy it and bring it to one of (along with passport)
    "medicare" "police" "Pharmasicts" "Legal practionar"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Manofthewest

Boca wrote: »
    print 'em off, bring them to the nearest medicare office and they'll do it for you there

Not every Medicare Office will certify your passport. I went to one last week and they sent me to the police station.

• Registered Users Posts: 630 ✭✭✭Claasman

So, I have got everything certified, and will send it off tomorrow. WHen i get the cert then, how do i go about getting the money back, do i have to send the cert off to the ATO then? I have already done my tax for 08/09...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 superfly.nn

If you have already submitted your Tax return for this year then you need to submit an amendment with the Medicare Levy excepmtion certificate.

I am in the process of applying for my Medicare excepmtion certificate but there may be a problem as I lived in the UK for 2 years before getting to OZ. I still have an Irish passports and I am not entitled to NHS from the UK so I meet all the criteria but with a govenment agency it all depends on with paper pushers desk your application land on and the mood they happen to be in on that day. Still, its an easy way to get $1400 back.

Yeah, i have done my tax, and gotten it back. Do i have to use e tax 09 to get the medicare back once i get the exemption cert from medicare? i sent off for the cert about 10 days ago, does it take long to process? thamks

if you got your tax back you need to do an adjustment to your tax, not through etax ring thr tax office for details

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

I sent in my medicare levy exemption form. Working on a tip, I sent in an uncertified copy of my passport (just the main bit of it) to see what would happen (as it was gonna e weeks before i'd get a chance to have it certified). Anyway, they rang me the other day about something else, and told me they would e refunding me for medicare in the net few days. So, I might have gotten away with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭m*pp*t

I know this has been discussed ages ago, but I'm only getting around to doing my tax return now.

My question: as I've earned under $17,000 in the financial year, I seem to be exempt from the Medicare Levy anyway (although I am also Irish and on a WHV). If I had been paying medicare would it show up on a PAYG cert or payslips or is it all just lumped in as tax? I'm just wondering have they been charging me this at all, as I've never seen it mentioned on any of my documents.

Thanks for any help.

When your are doing your tax , it takes the medicare out of your taxback. I think thats how they collect it, not weekly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

Gt my medicare levy back today without having to send in certified documents.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭passive

m*pp*t wrote: »

My question: as I've earned under $17,000 in the financial year, I seem to be exempt from the Medicare Levy anyway

I totally missed this point in both the threads on this... Was about to go get my passport certified, etc etc etc, to try save $500. I only earned about 7 or 8 grand though while in Australia, so I don't have to worry. Thanks for pointing this out!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,868 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

i filed my tax return under "Resident for tax purposes".

Am i still eligible for this medicare refund?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,526 ✭✭✭brendansmith

The_B_Man wrote: »
    i filed my tax return under "Resident for tax purposes".

Am i still eligible for this medicare refund?

Yes. Just do it.

Advertisement