Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research masters

Options
  • 02-07-2009 3:41am
    Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm a little confused about research masters, could someone please clarify a few things for me...

Do you have to go into the college to research your chosen area every day (9-5 sorta thing) or can you pick and choose your hours a bit?

Do they start in September and continue like a normal academic year, or could they start at different times of the year?

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,486 ✭✭✭Red Alert

It all depends on the actual department and on the supervisor in question - most people I know (in electronic engineering) work a 9-5 type day.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭theredletter

Definitely depends on your subject area. If it's an Arts/ Humanities subject you will more than likely be able to structure your own working week around supervisor meetings. A lot of supervisors will suggest attending Master classes in order to structure your week. If you need to work during your research then this will be particularly helpful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,160 ✭✭✭✭banshee_bones

Definitely depends on your subject area. If it's an Arts/ Humanities subject you will more than likely be able to structure your own working week around supervisor meetings. A lot of supervisors will suggest attending Master classes in order to structure your week. If you need to work during your research then this will be particularly helpful.

Really? So if your supervisors were lecturing in a field close to your research proposal they might suggest going to their classes? Good idea imo...especially if you find it hard to discipline yourself to a routine.

I have a few questions...
    how hard do people find it going from a structured undergrad as in lecture wise going to a research masters?
    Was it a difficult transition?
    How did you feel you were ready for it?
    Why did you choose research over Taught?

Sorry for all the questions but im currently giving careful consideration to applying for a research masters.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 doughnut

most have a 9-5 day, but i'd say they are fairly flexible now to be honest.
    but i reckon it would be mon - fri

Advertisement