Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Help ! Gearbox gone

• 02-07-2009 8:09am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭

Anyone know where in town is a good place to get the gearbox fixed in me car, cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Western Gearbox on Tuam Road

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

Conway Transmissions, Walkinstown. Very highly rated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭alibabba

thanks guys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

I would think carefully about buying a reconditioned gearbox. I got one for my Golf two years ago in Western gearbox, it lasted barely 20,000 miles but cost me about €1500. This time I got a used gearbox from a breakers, cost €400 plus labour to fit it. Work out the numbers yourself. I could buy three used boxes for same money as a single recon. I'm not picking on Western gearboxes, merely making the point that it may not be worth the money. I no longer trust any gearbox supplier.

It all depends on how old your car is too, whether it's worth spening all that money to fix it.

I would think carefully about buying a reconditioned gearbox. I got one for my Golf two years ago in Western gearbox, it lasted barely 20,000 miles but cost me about €1500. This time I got a used gearbox from a breakers, cost €400 plus labour to fit it. Work out the numbers yourself. I could buy three used boxes for same money as a single recon. I'm not picking on Western gearboxes, merely making the point that it may not be worth the money. I no longer trust any gearbox supplier.

It all depends on how old your car is too, whether it's worth spening all that money to fix it.

Jasus !
    How much will this job cost me, if he has to change the gearbox ?
    Me car isnt worth 2K , tis a 2001 xsara

• Advertisement

I would say that, along with a head gasket job, a gear box change would be "major surgery" as opposed to usual minor fixes that mechanics do.

Magnus wrote: »
    I would say that, along with a head gasket job, a gear box change would be "major surgery" as opposed to usual minor fixes that mechanics do.

Time to shop for a replacement car so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

Very hard to get a good second hand gearbox for a xsara the diff gives a lot of trouble in these.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭diverdriver

Time to consider it, my Golf's days are numbered. That's for sure. It might literally be cheaper to scrap the thing and buy something else. If you were insured against that kind of thing. It would be written off by the insurance company. Golfs to be fair have a bad name with gearboxes. It might be different for Xsaras, Edit: just saw the above post, it seems they are just like the Golf

The issue with reconditioned gearboxes, I've been told is that they are simply looked at with only obviously worn parts replaced. Essentially it's no different to that bought from a breakers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 629 ✭✭✭cashmni1

Time to consider it, my Golf's days are numbered. That's for sure. It might literally be cheaper to scrap the thing and buy something else. If you were insured against that kind of thing. It would be written off by the insurance company. Golfs to be fair have a bad name with gearboxes. It might be different for Xsaras, Edit: just saw the above post, it seems they are just like the Golf

The issue with reconditioned gearboxes, I've been told is that they are simply looked at with only obviously worn parts replaced. Essentially it's no different to that bought from a breakers.

+1
    Only worn/damaged parts replaced. I had to replace a box last year. Ended up with a second hand one from another crashed car. No problems since.
    OP, had the car much milage? What is the net worth of the car (with a working box)?
    If its less that €1000, I would seriously consider a change of car.

• Advertisement

Check carzone, adverts, buy&sell etc for cars for parts. Someone may have a perfectly fine gear box in an otherwise written off car.

Before doing anything, get a quote on the job of changing the box from 2-3 mechanics. Add this to price of box. You then need to consider how to get the replacement gear box to the mechanics.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,253 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If you did decide to fix it, it would be worth considering checking the clutch while the gearbox is off.It would be a real drag to have to pull the gearbox off again to change the clutch in a couple of months, since most of the cost of a clutch job is labour. Just a thought !

Advertisement