Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unopened hotel/apartments by roundabout in Salthill

Options
  • 02-07-2009 9:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,138 ✭✭✭

HI,
    At the main roundabout in Salthill (the arcade hall opposite and car park on the other side there's the very large building (not sure if it's meant to be shops/apartments or hotel).

It's looks completed from the outside, expect that the frontage onto the footpath are still boarded up. It's been like this for years; I've heard different stories- it was built slightly larger than the planning permission etc.

Does anyone know for sure what's the story- what's meant to be in it, why isn't it fully open yet and when will it open?

Cheers,
    Pa.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Registered Users Posts: 1,155 ✭✭✭ErnieBert

There is ongoing litigation between the original developers (the Cunningham group) and a financial institution which has been going on for 5 or 6 years. Basically, the bankers pulled the plug before the place was complete. They refunded all deposits and put the apartments up for sale. As far as I know, they all resold quickly at a much higher price much to the bemusement of the people who put deposits down circa 1999.

The ground floor is to be a cinema, bowling alley and restaurants.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

It's where James Bond works when he's in town...
    mi6_hq.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭JohnCleary

Robbo wrote: »
    It's where James Bond works when he's in town...

Baily point is wayyyy too far from the shore for Bond ffs, get your act together man! How the feck is (s)he supposed to collect sea shells by the sea shore if (s)he has a car park to negotiate inbetween??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,563 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

JohnCleary wrote: »
    Baily point is wayyyy too far from the shore for Bond ffs, get your act together man! How the feck is (s)he supposed to collect sea shells by the sea shore if (s)he has a car park to negotiate inbetween??
    He likes being able to park the Aston up in the laneway with a tarp over it before popping into the Burren Mount for a Martini or seven.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,037 ✭✭✭happyoutscan

Robbo wrote: »
    He likes being able to park the Aston up in the laneway with a tarp over it before popping into the Burren Mount for a Martini or seven.

Ah ha now that explains the BM's decor.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

JohnCleary wrote: »
    He has many, many ways of making it to the beach. Zip line from the top of the building, rocket pack, office chair ejector seat... The list goes on. Most times he just walks though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 bearded1

About a year ago on the side road that leads to the car park at the rear of the complex, there was a car which had been parked alongside said road I'm guessing during construction.

Anyways the kerbing/road height was increased or something as the car couldn't get out, and was just abandoned there. Anyone know if it's still there?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,660 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

bearded1 wrote: »
    About a year ago on the side road that leads to the car park at the rear of the complex, there was a car which had been parked alongside said road I'm guessing during construction.

Anyways the kerbing/road height was increased or something as the car couldn't get out, and was just abandoned there. Anyone know if it's still there?

Was at 7am this morning, it's owned by the guy next door, he had some dispute with the developers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 Salt McMan

I think of it as The Great Sphynx of Galway. They seem to have a terrible time renting the place out.

i5XxGL-idhTeDBl-wlZQNsjDuIOGXVWuSa9dnYEX1dZtPXJlbnRpZSZsPTQwMA==.jpg

sphinx-front.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭TheCosmicFrog

Haha, epic comparison, Salt!

Advertisement