Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

you are bord snip your 10 biggest cuts?

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,998 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

Another thing that should be snipped is all these ads against drink driving and speeding. I mean how effective are they.

People who speed and drink drive surely watch tv which would suggest these ads aren't working.

I'd fine the cr*p out of people who speed. It would be a better deterrant than tacky ads.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

Another thing that should be snipped is all these ads against drink driving and speeding. I mean how effective are they.

People who speed and drink drive surely watch tv which would suggest these ads aren't working.

I'd fine the cr*p out of people who speed. It would be a better deterrant than tacky ads.

I only started wearing a seatbelt when in the backseat of the car after that add about the kidd in the back, "it was the guy without the seatbelt did the damage".

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

I do love the way noone has figured out that means-testing is a long and drawn out process that takes a lot of time and effort to do, and the mass adoptation of it for welfare, benefits and entitlements and for college fees would probably cost a lot more than it would save, in public sector salaries alone, not to mention the cost of training and hiring new public sector employees to take on the additional work of all the means testing.

The HSE has almost 200,000 *admin* staff. How about reassigning them?

smccarrick wrote: »
    The HSE has almost 200,000 *admin* staff. How about reassigning them?

I find that hard to believe.
    Do you have a reference for that?

I find that hard to believe.
    Do you have a reference for that?

Inclusive of contract employees- the HSE account for 223,900 staff directly, and 11,200 indirectly (according to the CSO).

Of this 235,100-

52,400 are registered nurses with approx. 78% of them involved in patient care (40,900 approx according to the INO)

12,800 are doctors (approx- with an estimated 2,900 doctors in private practice- according to the IMB).

This leaves 181,400 (note this is inclusive of contract staff). Its possible that not all of these 180,000 odd are admin staff- and are involved in various non-administrative support roles- but its a very reasonable assumption that the vast bulk of them are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

there would be many other categories of staff than "admin" but there is definetely a lot of admin staff in the HSE which should be reassigned to other areas.

the main issue is when the health boards were amalgamated there were no redundancies so there must be a significant duplication of work. However, a certain level of service is required within the HSE so we can't just get rid of them all!!

Inclusive of contract employees- the HSE account for 223,900 staff directly, and 11,200 indirectly (according to the CSO).

Of this 235,100-

52,400 are registered nurses with approx. 78% of them involved in patient care (40,900 approx according to the INO)

12,800 are doctors (approx- with an estimated 2,900 doctors in private practice- according to the IMB).

This leaves 181,400 (note this is inclusive of contract staff). Its possible that not all of these 180,000 odd are admin staff- and are involved in various non-administrative support roles- but its a very reasonable assumption that the vast bulk of them are.
    According to this it's 100,000 in total.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/HSE_FactFile/HSE_Facts/HSE_Staff_Figures_and_information/

Either way it's incredible. I never thought it was so high.

Good post. Basically the HSE employee more people than the population of some countries or the entire workforce of some massive international companies such as Microsoft, IBM etc.

Incredible.

According to this it's 100,000 in total.

http://www.hse.ie/eng/HSE_FactFile/HSE_Facts/HSE_Staff_Figures_and_information/

Either way it's incredible. I never thought it was so high.

Good post. Basically the HSE employee more people than the population of some countries or the entire workforce of some massive international companies such as Microsoft, IBM etc.

Incredible.

I think the difference is contract staff- the HSE has a totally ridiculous number of them. Keep in mind there are 14 recruitment companies whose sole business is supplying contract employees to the HSE.......?

Note: a significant number of the nurses are contract employees (they are still listed on the INO website- as they have to be registered to work in Irish hospitals).

The CSO labourforce survey shows even more working in 'Healthcare'- 281,000. I imagine this includes all the private nursing homes as well as tertiary businesses such as pharmacies- so its not necessarily solely HSE related.

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,183 ✭✭✭dvpower

Wow. The HSE must be just about the best administered organisation on the planet.

Well I think it's pretty obvious we have a huge number of people who need to be paid from taxes. Much more than we could possibly afford.

What's also really disappointing is despite the huge numbers paid out of our taxes, the service is still diabolical.

Utter failure.

• Advertisement

Well I think it's pretty obvious we have a huge number of people who need to be paid from taxes. Much more than we could possibly afford.

What's also really disappointing is despite the huge numbers paid out of our taxes, the service is still diabolical.

Utter failure.

The problem is more that we're not paying them from taxes- we're paying them from borrowings...... this is in order of size-

Social welfare recipients
    HSE, its staff and various services and schemes
    Public sector in general after the HSE

(all the way down to 3.5 billion for farmers etc)

I hear the report was delivered yesterday evening- wonder how long it takes to leak........

The problem is more that we're not paying them from taxes- we're paying them from borrowings...... this is in order of size-

Social welfare recipients
    HSE, its staff and various services and schemes
    Public sector in general after the HSE

(all the way down to 3.5 billion for farmers etc)

I hear the report was delivered yesterday evening- wonder how long it takes to leak........
    It would be good to post references with your posts smcarrick. Sorry for being a pedantic stickler but there's just so much false information out there these days.

Education also costs a fortune.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,186 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

I think the difference is contract staff- the HSE has a totally ridiculous number of them. Keep in mind there are 14 recruitment companies whose sole business is supplying contract employees to the HSE.......?

Note: a significant number of the nurses are contract employees (they are still listed on the INO website- as they have to be registered to work in Irish hospitals).

The CSO labourforce survey shows even more working in 'Healthcare'- 281,000. I imagine this includes all the private nursing homes as well as tertiary businesses such as pharmacies- so its not necessarily solely HSE related.

S.

But one of the interesting things is how the numbers employed in healthcare has increased since 1997 and the entrance of bertie into government.
    AFAIk there has been a 50% increase in numbers in certain areas ?

Normally when organisations amalgamate they eliminate duplications, but in HSEs case they created another layer on top to manage the duplicates :rolleyes:

I am not allowed discuss …

Advertisement