Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bathroom tiling question

Options
  • 02-07-2009 9:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭

How would you lift tiles off a bathroom wall without damaging would anyone know? Would it be ok to put them back on the after having completed some work in the bathroom? I am looking to reseal the are around my bath tub.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

How would you lift tiles off a bathroom wall without damaging would anyone know? Would it be ok to put them back on the after having completed some work in the bathroom? I am looking to reseal the are around my bath tub.

Honestly it never really works but if you manage it well done. Use a scraper and try get right in. If you get them off ok they can be stuck back on. If the bad needs a reseal you might be lucky and the wall might be mushy behind them making it easy.

Another alternative is to use a mosaic around the edge of the bath or a mirror trim

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Thanks Joey. I like the idea of the mosaic. That could do it.
    When you say get in ther with the scraper, how do you mean. Do you actually bang the scraper to crack the grout? Keep scraping at the grout?
    A plumber i know said he'd come out and seal the bath as he's good at that type of thing. But im a total noob, and he asked me to get the bottom row of tiles off before he comes out.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,262 ✭✭✭✭Joey the lips

Thanks Joey. I like the idea of the mosaic. That could do it.
    When you say get in ther with the scraper, how do you mean. Do you actually bang the scraper to crack the grout? Keep scraping at the grout?
    A plumber i know said he'd come out and seal the bath as he's good at that type of thing. But im a total noob, and he asked me to get the bottom row of tiles off before he comes out.

Its just a case of getting the scraper in where you can. I would suggest you scrape the grout out and work down towards the bath, Like i said its unlikely to be saved so your on new ground, Just make sure the plaster board is not mush when they come off or it will need replacing

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭looperman1000

Thanks once again, Joey.

• Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭Autorotation

I agree with Joey. The tiles will be almost impossible to take off without breaking and/or doing damage to the substrate (probably plasterboard). If u can't get the same tiles to replace do as Joey suggested and get mosaic or border tiles to compliment the other ones. With the tiles off it would be a good opportunity to take the bath out and re-seal the whole area properly if you're that adventurous! No more leaks then!... Maybe replace with old plasterboard with green MR plasterboard too.

• Advertisement
Advertisement