Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Equity

Options
  • 02-07-2009 10:13am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

What is your understanding of the meaning of equity?

How did you come to this understanding?

How does this conceptualisation fit into your views on philosophy?

What do think about alternative conceptualisations of equity?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

If you are interested in coming at the questions from a philosophical perspective, you should read up on some political philosophy. One book I found very useful is Contemporary Political Philosophy by Will Kymlicka. It can be a little technical if you are not familiar with some philosophical terms (A dictionary of Philosophy is a must for students), but is will outline the pros and cones of different philosophical approaches to Justice, and there manifestations in society.

For example, one philosophical approach would be Utilitarianism, which tries to statistically evaluate consequences to favour the greater number of people over the few, with an emphasis on the ‘end’. Another, opposing view would be Deontological ethics, which hold the premise that there is good and evil, so a good act is always good regardless of seen and unforeseen consequences. Both are useful to an extent, but both can present ethical issues I find uncomfortable. Should the minority always be sacrificed for the majority? Is it always morally wrong to kill?

Most modern conceptions of political philosophy tend to have elements of Deontology at their core, even Utilitarianism hold that the good is what is good for the greatest number! However we can’t ignore the huge impact Utilitarianism has on how our society is organised, and how impossible it is to calculate the best utilitarian end, or the horrific consequences such calculations can have on people. Other views often try to find a middle ground, approaching the problem from a liberal view, seeing people as ends in themselves, not means, i.e. redistributive wealth for the betterment of society. Another is the Libertarian independence approach, of absolute sovereignty of individuals (No forced redistribution of wealth). This is deeply flawed on philosophical, practical and moral grounds IMO. Communitarian criticism often undermine the liberal (and libertarian) conception of the sovereign individual, and see man as both shaped and shaper of his community. Among other approaches, Feminism is an interesting approach. Feminist criticism of traditional conceptions of equity would look at the historically huge imbalance of the sexes at the heart of society.

My own personal view would lean towards sympathy with the Communitarian criticism of liberalism. I don’t fall into any camp completely (as liberal rights are very important, not that all communitarians are against rights), and I can understand how Feminist views need to be accepted if our societies are to become more just. But many Feminists are also Communitarians, understanding the historical subjection of women, and challenging it, with an understanding of individuals who are embedded in their communities, but who can effect change within said communities.

The best thing to do is to get a book on the different conceptions of justice and start at the beginning :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 angel_x_19

Offalycool wrote: »
    If you are interested in coming at the questions from a philosophical perspective, you should read up on some political philosophy. One book I found very useful is Contemporary Political Philosophy by Will Kymlicka. It can be a little technical if you are not familiar with some philosophical terms (A dictionary of Philosophy is a must for students), but is will outline the pros and cones of different philosophical approaches to Justice, and there manifestations in society.

For example, one philosophical approach would be Utilitarianism, which tries to statistically evaluate consequences to favour the greater number of people over the few, with an emphasis on the ‘end’. Another, opposing view would be Deontological ethics, which hold the premise that there is good and evil, so a good act is always good regardless of seen and unforeseen consequences. Both are useful to an extent, but both can present ethical issues I find uncomfortable. Should the minority always be sacrificed for the majority? Is it always morally wrong to kill?

Most modern conceptions of political philosophy tend to have elements of Deontology at their core, even Utilitarianism hold that the good is what is good for the greatest number! However we can’t ignore the huge impact Utilitarianism has on how our society is organised, and how impossible it is to calculate the best utilitarian end, or the horrific consequences such calculations can have on people. Other views often try to find a middle ground, approaching the problem from a liberal view, seeing people as ends in themselves, not means, i.e. redistributive wealth for the betterment of society. Another is the Libertarian independence approach, of absolute sovereignty of individuals (No forced redistribution of wealth). This is deeply flawed on philosophical, practical and moral grounds IMO. Communitarian criticism often undermine the liberal (and libertarian) conception of the sovereign individual, and see man as both shaped and shaper of his community. Among other approaches, Feminism is an interesting approach. Feminist criticism of traditional conceptions of equity would look at the historically huge imbalance of the sexes at the heart of society.

My own personal view would lean towards sympathy with the Communitarian criticism of liberalism. I don’t fall into any camp completely (as liberal rights are very important, not that all communitarians are against rights), and I can understand how Feminist views need to be accepted if our societies are to become more just. But many Feminists are also Communitarians, understanding the historical subjection of women, and challenging it, with an understanding of individuals who are embedded in their communities, but who can effect change within said communities.

The best thing to do is to get a book on the different conceptions of justice and start at the beginning :)

I'm actually looking at the topic for my thesis, trying to understand what policy makers mean.

I haven't started it yet and am reading around the subject an awful lot. Just thought that it would be nice to get some views of "ordinary people" first...though your views seem more informed than I had expected!!

Thanks for your input - I think I'm going to order that book on Amazon now. If you have any more info, links or books that you think I'd find useful, I'd REALLY appreciate it!

Cheers!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 459 ✭✭Offalycool

Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy website can be useful sometimes. Here is an article on Utilitarianism. If I think of anything else I'll post it. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 angel_x_19

Offalycool wrote: »
    Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy website can be useful sometimes. Here is an article on Utilitarianism. If I think of anything else I'll post it. Good luck.

Thanks a million! ;)

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement