Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you train MMA with someone with no experience?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭roo1981

Sorry im not getting this....
    Is the Problem
    1: A qualified coach in a certain field ie.TKD Black Belt adding an MMA "class" to his timetable when he has never trained or fought MMA.
    2: An unqualified "coach" teaching MMA when the only experience he has is training with other recognised MMA Gyms for a while.
    3: Some one doing it for the cash.
    Sorry again but im picking up conflicting problems.

I'd say it would be pretty hypocritical of anyone here to have a problem with 2, as thats how 90% of the coaches here have started out.

Regarding 1, I'd be hesitant to go to such a club, not so much for the lack of 'MMA' coaching experience, more so if there wasnt a dedicated grappling coach. Again, I'd say a fair few of the coaches here have a background in TKD coaching...if such a club had one or two ok grapplers there to work with, I'd probably train if there was nothing else around and it was cheap. Mind you I'd expect the coach to be honest about the setup, and not say he's a Gracie thats decided to concentrate on his standup so wont roll anymore.

3: Cowboys\McDojos-Its pricks like this I have a prob with. People who are in it clearly with the sole intention of parting people and their money-'coaches' that have little or no solid training or coaching experience in any recognised art (Boxing, Wrestling, BJJ, Kickboxing, Muai Thai, Karate-only stuck that in cause of Machida but you get the idea) passing on cruddy techniques and training methods to people who dont know any better (and in fairness, most beginners wouldnt).

The McDojo problem affects all Martial Arts in time, its only a matter of time before it comes proficient here with MMA (theres already been reference to the 'club that cannot be mentioned'-mainly cause their coaching is ****e).

Just to be clear-theres a big difference between a McDojo and a training group. A training group might consist mainly of beginners with one or two good guys, but their objective is to train and improve, they all have a solid interest in the sport, and most of them are honest nor under any illusions about their setup.

McDojos (read 'clubs that cannot be mentioned') are there mainly to empty peoples pockets, are happy to do so, and will take legal action if necessary to prevent others from criticizing them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,158 ✭✭✭Chris89

No its not.
    Im genuinely suprised that the vote is a 50 50 tie at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

closed by request until moderator looks at it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,803 ✭✭✭dunkamania

I have deleted some posts, and modded others, as well as handing out a couple of bans. The charter rules are fairly straightforward regarding things that cannot be discussed, either explicitly, or implicitly.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement