Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Kia Carens Issues - help???

• 02-07-2009 10:55am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭

Looking for help/advice

I am far from being an auto expert so please be gentle.

I have a 2002 Kia Carens 1.8L LS - 70000 miles.

Have had it for nine months and it needed a new alternator soon ater I bought it - this was replaced okay and it has passed it's NCT.

However recently a lot of weird things have been happening - I have listed them below:

* For quite some time when I press the brake reasonably hard there is a cranking noise heard - quite audible.

* Recently when I start the car a sound like running water can be heard from uner the hood.

* Also recently when stuck in trafic it starts to struggle to get up to speed and the slightest press on the accelerator causes the revs to shoot up. Ths generally rights itself after driving or a while.

* Today - the battery and brake warning lights have started to flash intermittently now and again. Happened twice - both times car was running but stationary - waiting for lights to change - and both times the lights stopped once I got moving.

I am beginning to think all these things are related but does anyone know what it could be? To be honest I can't afford to bring it anywhere to be looked at so i I can live with it I will. The manual gives info on what each of these warning lights means but not what they mean when they flash together.

From what I can gather it could be a timing belt issue - anyone know the approximate cost of getting this replaced? Should I go to a dealer or an independent mechanic

Any info would be greatly appreciated

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 468 ✭✭VanhireBoys

I cant diagnose from here without seeing the thing
    • Brakepads/Discs or both
    • Probably power steering fluid low or air in the cooling system
    • Clutch plate worn out
    • Bad/loose connections on the alternator/battery itself after previous replacement
    Its going to cost a kings ransom to sort the clutch out - Brakes will cost a wee bit. The other 2 Im guessing...!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭ZOLTAN28

Cheers - just had the brake pads done last week so I assume that it's not them. The couple of times it's been struggling in low gears has felt like the clutch all right.

Alternator was done last September - the guy who did it said it was a massive job because of where the alternator is in the thing - he had to strip it down so I assume something could have gone wrong then. It passed an NCT soon after though.

Advertisement