Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

citezenship - rights when born

Options
  • 02-07-2009 11:07am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭

can citezenship be given up, or revoked?

can one return to being outside of local laws, international laws and societies and revert back to having all rights as they had when they were born - and revoke all the rights that were take/given throughout their life many without their ''consent''

well?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Asfaik one can revoke citizenship. However I believe you have to be a citizen of another state so you cannot be left without any "home" country. I've also heard it takes ages (years) for the application to revoke citizenship to go through.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,653 ✭✭✭conchubhar1

why does one need to be a citezen of a state? rhethorical

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Well I imagine so that you will have somewhere to go. For example was it the fildm "The Terminal" where someone got stuck in an Airport Terminal because neither the US government nor their "home" country would take them back. The film was based on a true story afaik. A civil war had broken out in the home country which meant the man in question had nowhere to go.

EDIT: well something like it, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehran_Karimi_Nasseri

if i revoked irish citezenship - would i have to leave ireland, get a job and pay taxes etc etc?

again mostly rthetorical - why is that the case is more my point

• Registered Users Posts: 11,747 ✭✭✭✭wes

why does one need to be a citezen of a state? rhethorical

The rights of an individual tend to be backed up by a state. Being stateless means you have no one to back up these rights. You have no passport to travel. No one to provide services etc for you. Basically, without membership of a state, an individual will have a very hard time functioning in society.

Here is some info from the UNHCR on stateless people:
    http://www.unhcr.org/pages/49c3646c155.html

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

again - why does one have to be a member of a state

it is not something anyone chose

again - i would not like the functioning in society bit as that is obvious and my question and point attempts to go above that

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,110 ✭✭✭solice

again - why does one have to be a member of a state

it is not something anyone chose

again - i would not like the functioning in society bit as that is obvious and my question and point attempts to go above that

Well if you were not a member of a state then you would have to leave the country as you would be an illegal alien. You couldnt go to any other country (legally) because you are not member of that state or any other state. You would have to apply for a work permit/visa in order to stay and earn money to survive. It would be difficult to get a permit or visa because you do not come from anywhere...

okay

'' can one return to being outside of local laws, international laws and societies and revert back to having all rights as they had when they were born - and revoke all the rights that were take/given throughout their life many without their ''consent'' ''

okay

'' can one return to being outside of local laws, international laws and societies and revert back to having all rights as they had when they were born - and revoke all the rights that were take/given throughout their life many without their ''consent'' ''

Surely you would have to obey the laws of the country in which you are in regardless of your nationality, similiar to an American tourist visiting Ireland. They must obey our laws and are entitled to the same rights that other nationals have.

Can I ask why you are interested?

• Advertisement

is there any territory - beside arctic and antarcic that is not belonging to any country

could one leave in the ocean and come to land whenever tehy needed to trade for other items - and only obey laws in the sense if they dont commit a crime its all good

well, its all hypothethical - hard to finger down a reason why i want to know

is there any territory - beside arctic and antarcic that is not belonging to any country

could one leave in the ocean and come to land whenever tehy needed to trade for other items - and only obey laws in the sense if they dont commit a crime its all good

well, its all hypothethical - hard to finger down a reason why i want to know

you wouldnt be allowed come on shore to trade without a visa permitting entry. u would have to stay outside territorial waters and so only trade with passing ships.

well - i could enter ireland quite easily
    and i could pass as a local no bother - technically being one

well - i could enter ireland quite easily
    and i could pass as a local no bother - technically being one

You could, but you shouldn't!

I think im having a very bizare conversation

true, i shouldnt

this is all hypothetical anyway
    define ''I'' and ''think'' - have a think about what they mean

• Registered Users Posts: 9,030 ✭✭✭Lockstep

turgon wrote: »
    Well I imagine so that you will have somewhere to go. For example was it the fildm "The Terminal" where someone got stuck in an Airport Terminal because neither the US government nor their "home" country would take them back. The film was based on a true story afaik. A civil war had broken out in the home country which meant the man in question had nowhere to go.

EDIT: well something like it, see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mehran_Karimi_Nasseri

I've an interest in citizenships/emigration and only recently came across the idea that someone could be stateless. Above is a very good example.
    Vatican is a strange one as your citizenship is only valid while you work there; if you lack any other citizenship then you get automatic Italian citizenship.

This thread; fascinating stuff.

to get back to the start

why did i, for example, choose to be an irish citizen?

yes my parents made that decision for me - can i now cancel it or refute it? (call it what you like)

again - hypothetical

IIRC your parents don't choose you to be a citizen; it's automatic.

my bad

then my question still stands - i didnt make that choice nor did a family member

can i now reject it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

i did not trumpet anything - i stated i use irish.....

anyway - this is all hypothetical and my point is being not of any state

so taking up citezenship in another place was already pointed out - and i explained why i see that option but dont want it
    thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,355 ✭✭✭Belfast

can citezenship be given up, or revoked?

can one return to being outside of local laws, international laws and societies and revert back to having all rights as they had when they were born - and revoke all the rights that were take/given throughout their life many without their ''consent''

well?

Rights are conferenced by law in case of Ireland by the Constitution.

no Constitution no rights.

The only way to do that would to start your own country and start it the way you want it.

Even if you became a stateless person you are still bound by the laws of the place you live in.

How to Start Your Own Country (book)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Start_Your_Own_Country_(book)

How to Start Your Own Country (TV series)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/How_to_Start_Your_Own_Country_(TV_series) BBC

HOW TO START YOUR OWN MICRONATION
    http://www.geocities.com/micronations/

Micronation
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Micronation

Statelessness
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stateless_person

you can create your own virtual world.

Welcome to NationStates

NationStates is a free nation simulation game. Build a nation and run it according to your own warped political ideals. Create a Utopian paradise for society's less fortunate or a totalitarian corporate police state. Care for your people or deliberately oppress them. Join the World Assembly or remain a rogue state. It's up to you.
    http://www.nationstates.net/

Belfast wrote: »
    you can create your own virtual world.

Welcome to NationStates

NationStates is a free nation simulation game. Build a nation and run it according to your own warped political ideals. Create a Utopian paradise for society's less fortunate or a totalitarian corporate police state. Care for your people or deliberately oppress them. Join the World Assembly or remain a rogue state. It's up to you.
    http://www.nationstates.net/

I love Nationstates; here's my Republic of Kilarnia
    Despite a 100% tax tate, the private sector remains strong.
    Rights are conferenced by law in case of Ireland by the Constitution.

no Constitution no rights.

Not strictly true; we have rights through the EU which are enforceable and antecedant to Irish law (as well as rights from the UN)

We also have rights through statutes.

I just started mine today.
    http://www.nationstates.net/nation=JohnMosby
    the start up questions seem a bit loaded.
    Not strictly true; we have rights through the EU which are enforceable and antecedant to Irish law (as well as rights from the UN)
    We also have rights through statutes.

I did not include rights in statues (these I call privileges) as these can be withdrawn by the Dail. rights in the Constitution can only be changed by a direct vote of the people.
    privileges are like rights but can be withdrawn by the Dail.

have you tried this one?

Earth: 2025 is the first of a new generation of unique interactive games designed to be played directly on the web. Centrally located on the Swirve.com website, Earth: 2025 brings together tens thousands of players in an interactive gaming environment that's more addictive, entertaining, and engaging than anything you'll play against a computer or just a few opponents. You'll get the opportunity to take command of a fledging country and manage its economy, military, diplomacy and more as you try to make yourself the most powerful in the world.
    http://games.swirve.com/earth/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,250 ✭✭✭✭Iwasfrozen

Conchubar1 wrote:
    i did not trumpet anything - i stated i use irish.....

anyway - this is all hypothetical and my point is being not of any state

so taking up citezenship in another place was already pointed out - and i explained why i see that option but dont want it
    thanks
    You have to be a member of at least one state, it's one of your Human Rights.

I did not include rights in statues (these I call privileges) as these can be withdrawn by the Dail. rights in the Constitution can only be changed by a direct vote of the people.
    privileges are like rights but can be withdrawn by the Dail.

Privileges are usually things which are granted whereas rights are unrevocable; by that definition then Constitutional rights are often revocable given their ability to be changed by the Irish people.

Ultimately, it's often up to the judiciary what rights we enjoy, based on their interpretation of the Constitution (the use of the word "In particular" in Article 40 suggests that there are other rights other than those specifically enshrined in the Constitution, as has been interpreted in things like the right to bodily integrity)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,892 ✭✭✭ChocolateSauce

I think citizenship can be revoked if you are a citizen of a country by means other than birth and you have done something treasonous or otherwise highly illegal. You can have it revoked if you lied on your application form. Also I may be wrong, but I think that German-American Nazi who was recently extradited to Germany from the US for war crimes had his US citizenship revoked.

• Advertisement

I think citizenship can be revoked if you are a citizen of a country by means other than birth and you have done something treasonous or otherwise highly illegal. You can have it revoked if you lied on your application form. Also I may be wrong, but I think that German-American Nazi who was recently extradited to Germany from the US for war crimes had his US citizenship revoked.

One of the conditions of becoming a US citizen is that you must not have worked for the government of Nazi Germany. This is probably why his citizenship was revoked.
    There were some people in the 1960s who renounced their and went to Mexico.
    One of them tried to return to American in the 1980s and get her citizenship back.
    She was turned away.

Advertisement