Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Ancestors Tale - Richard Dawkins.

Options
  • 02-07-2009 11:43am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭

Hi
    Anyone recommend this book ?

I have read the Selfish Gene, Blind Watchmaker and the extended phenotype --

Blind Watchmaker - excellent , Selfish Gene - very good .. quite advanced though, and extended phenotype well most of it went over my head ...

so is The Ancestors Tale as advanced ?

cheers..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭rccaulfield

Yo can watch 5 part summaries narrated and presented by dawkins himself on all of those and more- not a great book reader myself-but just incase u didnt know!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkGpO1lQrLY

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

jackdaw wrote: »
    Hi

Blind Watchmaker - excellent , Selfish Gene - very good .. quite advanced though, and extended phenotype well most of it went over my head ...

cheers..

Bit late in the reply perhaps, but found it a very interesting book that I enjoyed very much, and it is a easier casual read than the Selfish Gene.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,949 ✭✭✭A Primal Nut

I disagree. I found the Selfish Gene fascinating and easy to read as it all arguments backed up by facts.

The Ancestor's Tale is basically a collection of fact after fact, with some arguments thrown in. Interesting, but very long and can be difficult to finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

I found it a good read. Interesting take on evolution as well going backwards in time.

There's a patch in the book about 50 pages in that's heavy going. To be fair Dawkins highlights it, and you could easily skip past it without missing much.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,994 ✭✭✭Tim Robbins

jackdaw wrote: »
    Hi

cheers..

Yes. Read it. Ancestor's tale goes into quite some detail about the species. it picks one interesting thing about each species and goes backwards in evolution so to speak.

On the downside, it's very long. Took me 5 months to read. The audio version is 7 CDs but it leaves out some of the text.

• Advertisement
Advertisement