Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

A4 TDI or 320d?

• 02-07-2009 12:25pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭

What are your opinions of these two cars?
    Was looking for a 2005-ish model. They seem quite similar - which one would you go for?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭aodh_rua

The 320d is a lot more fun to drive - faster and more powerful.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,754 ✭✭✭smokingman

Honda Accord Exec 2.2 i-CtDi. Much more for your money and a better car imo.
    I was looking at both of them before going for the Honda and I haven't looked back since.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

smokingman wrote: »
    Honda Accord Exec 2.2 i-CtDi. Much more for your money and a better car imo.
    I was looking at both of them before going for the Honda and I haven't looked back since.

I did briefly consider that. They're quite rare though - I only saw one within my price range in the Dublin area. I'm keeping my eye for them, but there are just tons more BMWs and Audis out there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 63 ✭✭You

fjon wrote: »
    I did briefly consider that. They're quite rare though - I only saw one within my price range in the Dublin area. I'm keeping my eye for them, but there are just tons more BMWs and Audis out there.

Exactly the reason I'd pick the Honda. 320D's and A4 TDi's are everywhere....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭CountingCrows

Lexus IS220?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Long Onion

Lexus IS220?

TAAAAAXI !:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,297 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Long Onion wrote: »
    TAAAAAXI !:D

I'd say you have as much chance of buying an ex-taxi IS220d as you do an ex-taxi 320d or A4 Tdi. All 3 cars are not really weapons of choice among taxi drivers.

OP, what is your budget?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,088 ✭✭✭fjon

bazz26 wrote: »

OP, what is your budget?

Was looking around the 10k mark. Could go a bit over if needed

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 eolair

both these cars are stereotypes for their respective brands. The beemer is more driver focussed, gives you more feedback and has sharper handling. Unless spec'd up really nicely though, they are a dog's dinner inside and really not pleasant places to spend any amount of time. The engine is very good.

The oooo is less driver focussed, nose heavy, and not exactly enlightening in terms of what's happening on the road. Unless you get a model with sports suspension, the handling is wallowing if you to to drive at any speed on a less than straight road. It will eat motorway miles comfortably. As long as the previous owner didn't spec black plastic and black cloth combo, the interior is generally v nice. The engine is very good -assuming 1.9 PD. Avoid the 2.5 tdi - rough and not as powerful as it suggests.

Differences? Do you want speed or comfort? The bmw engine is more responsive and slightly quieter, though less frugal than the Audi. Audi offers Quattro, though it's of questionable use in Ireland and reduces economy.

Both need to be spec'd properly to enjoy the experience. If you can only afford/find base paddy spec, get another make and spend the money on extras. Avoid the avant A4, no real space gain on the saloon - both models are cramped in the rear. If you have to get one, find a saloon with the split rear seats that fold down.

Similar era IS200 should be avoided - notorious for corroding alloys and poor paint, with no discernible advantages over the germans.

• Advertisement

OP is looking at 05 diesel models so that rules out the Lexus IS which wasn't available in diesel form back then.

1.9 TDi in the A4 is unrefined and noisy, not suitable for a "premium" brand other than it was cheap to produce. OP should only be looking at the 2.0 TDi but these will cost more.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

eolair wrote: »
    The beemer is more driver focussed, gives you more feedback and has sharper handling. Unless spec'd up really nicely though, they are a dog's dinner inside and really not pleasant places to spend any amount of time.
    This is a very good point - ordered one for my mother a couple of years back and ended up spending a five figure sum on extras to make it a nice place to be. And this didn't even include the likes of nav, leather, or power seats.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,432 ✭✭✭mcwhirter

You wrote: »
    320D's and A4 TDi's are everywhere....

Yes, they are for the new mondeo man:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,899 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

mcwhirter wrote: »
    Yes, they were for the new mondeo man:D

I think that's more the case unfortunately

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,991 ✭✭✭el tel

eolair wrote: »
    both these cars are stereotypes for their respective brands. The beemer is more driver focussed, gives you more feedback and has sharper handling. Unless spec'd up really nicely though, they are a dog's dinner inside and really not pleasant places to spend any amount of time. The engine is very good.

The oooo is less driver focussed, nose heavy, and not exactly enlightening in terms of what's happening on the road. Unless you get a model with sports suspension, the handling is wallowing if you to to drive at any speed on a less than straight road. It will eat motorway miles comfortably. As long as the previous owner didn't spec black plastic and black cloth combo, the interior is generally v nice. The engine is very good -assuming 1.9 PD. Avoid the 2.5 tdi - rough and not as powerful as it suggests.
    Differences? Do you want speed or comfort? The bmw engine is more responsive and slightly quieter, though less frugal than the Audi. Audi offers Quattro, though it's of questionable use in Ireland and reduces economy.

Both need to be spec'd properly to enjoy the experience. If you can only afford/find base paddy spec, get another make and spend the money on extras. Avoid the avant A4, no real space gain on the saloon - both models are cramped in the rear. If you have to get one, find a saloon with the split rear seats that fold down.

Similar era IS200 should be avoided - notorious for corroding alloys and poor paint, with no discernible advantages over the germans.

I think 'rough' is an overstatemnt however I have both and can say that the 1.9 is 'rougher' than the 2.5. Defo the 6 cylinders are smother than the 4

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 239 ✭✭onemanband

Hi, I had both of these cars and would recommend the 320d by a country mile. Better handling, performance, driving position.

Advertisement