Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Laptop clean up - Pagefile.sys 1,344,900 KB

• 02-07-2009 12:29pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭

Hi I hope I have posted this in the right place!

My laptop has very little space and I have noticed the folloing files on my (C:)

pagefile.sys 1,344,900 KB
    config.sys 1 KB
    bootmgr 325 KB
    autoexec.bat 1KB

Can I delete these files?

Also does anyone know of a FREE clean up programe I can run that will totally clean up my laptop....?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,089 ✭✭✭cpu-dude

Dont delete ANY of those file, they are essential. Use CCleaner to clear up any crap on your computer, its an excellent program.

BTW, your pagefile is assigned storage to act as RAM for your computer, see this link. To change the size in XP, do this:

If you have 2 gigabytes (or more) of memory in your PC, have you considered turning off your pagefile? Here's how to do it:

1. Control Panel, System
    2. Advanced tab
    3. Performance group, Settings button
    4. Advanced tab
    5. Virtual Memory group, Change button
    6. Change it to custom, system managed or turn it off.

xp_virtual_memory_screenshot.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

windirstat is an application which will show you visually all the files on your computer, making it terribly easy to discover the biggest offenders. Very excellent freeware.

+1 to ccleaner as well.

The other big file you may find is Hiberfile/hyberfile.sys - don't delete that either. Its your system restore data. Nor should you delete your Recovery partition or anything on it. Also very important.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

No its not. hiberfil.sys is the hibernation file. If you turn off hibernation in your power settings you can get rid of it safely. System restore stuff lives in the hidden System Volume Information folders.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

spacemonger is also good for showing what is using the space

uninstall apps you don't use anymore - some apps leave behind junk too
    do you have any downloads or music or videos you don't really need ?

if running XP you can use less space for system restore, but not worth it unless your PC has been stable for a good while, certainly don't remove/reduce system restore if making other changes give it a good few reboots first.

Golden Rule - never delete a file unless you know exactly what it is, just because you don't use it doesn't mean windows doesn't need it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,975 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Stephen wrote: »
    No its not. hiberfil.sys is the hibernation file. If you turn off hibernation in your power settings you can get rid of it safely. System restore stuff lives in the hidden System Volume Information folders.
    oh yeah. wheres me head :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Don't turn off the page file. Let windows handle it's size as it sees fit. Troll?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,442 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Don't turn off the page file. Let windows handle it's size as it sees fit. Troll?
    Depends on OS and RAM

XP and older versions of windows agressively swap out programs and cache from memory since they were designed to run on tiny (by todays standards) amounts of RAM on what were legacy systems even then ( upgrade etc. , crap christmas laptops )

if you have XP and > 768MB then it will probably run faster without the swap file, if it complains you can add the file..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 605 ✭✭✭PaddyTheNth

Depends on OS and RAM

XP and older versions of windows agressively swap out programs and cache from memory since they were designed to run on tiny (by todays standards) amounts of RAM on what were legacy systems even then ( upgrade etc. , crap christmas laptops )

if you have XP and > 768MB then it will probably run faster without the swap file, if it complains you can add the file..
    Aside from discussions about how Windows handles memory, if someone is seriously asking whether they should delete the files referenced in the OP, they are miles away from being competent enough that they should be playing with the page file.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,395 ✭✭✭Dartz

Alternate option. Buy a new HDD.

They're cheap these days.

Don't you mean an external hard drive ?;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭CallMeMiss

if someone is seriously asking whether they should delete the files referenced in the OP, they are miles away from being competent enough that they should be playing with the page file.

Thank you for pointing out my incompetence ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 90 ✭✭CallMeMiss

Dartz wrote: »
    Alternate option. Buy a new HDD.

They're cheap these days.

Have one

Advertisement