Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mini Network

Options
  • 02-07-2009 12:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

I work in a job which requires a team of us to go out to clients and work using different files (mostly Word and Excel). We end up having to swap the information via flash drive from one person to another. I want to set up a network like a server where we can all access the files from one location and if someone opens a file which is already being accessed by someone else it will give a readonly warning. We all use Windows XP.

I have already tried set up an ad-hoc network but that seems to be disabled or something as the option during network setup is not highlighted.

Any ideas what I should do? Buy a wireless router?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 dublinpd

Why don't you use a network drive and put files there?
    Map network drives to be acessed by members of your choice?

Peter B wrote: »
    I work in a job which requires a team of us to go out to clients and work using different files (mostly Word and Excel). We end up having to swap the information via flash drive from one person to another. I want to set up a network like a server where we can all access the files from one location and if someone opens a file which is already being accessed by someone else it will give a readonly warning. We all use Windows XP.

I have already tried set up an ad-hoc network but that seems to be disabled or something as the option during network setup is not highlighted.

Any ideas what I should do? Buy a wireless router?

Advertisement