Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Technical Query re phone contract

Options
  • 02-07-2009 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3,860 ✭✭✭

I entered into a 12 month contract with my mobile service provider by moving from pay as you go to bill pay following a talk with a very eager/convincing salesman in their store. The contract was signed in store on Apr 12th, though the terms and conditions say that proof of ID and proof of address must be provided for the contract to be valid. I did not have these on me as I was just browsing the shopping centre on the day. The salesman agreed to process the application and get my account up and running on Apr 12th as I agreed I would provide that info in the weeks that followed.

I was moved to Bill Pay contract that day and have been on it since. I have email records between myself and the sales agent from the weeks that followed of him chasing me up for the proof of ID/address.

It has now transpired that it is costing me more money per month on bill pay than on pay as you go, but I am on a 12 month contract. So I have 2 questions...

1) technically, should I have been allowed to enter the contract given that I could not provide proof of ID and address, and can prove that I couldn't provide same. As such, could this be grounds for terminating the contract, as in if the shoe was on the other foot, I'm sure they could cancel the contract on this basis?

2) if I were to cancel my direct debit to the company, what are the implications/consequences of this. On the bill it says "Please note: failure to pay the amount specified will result in termination of services" ... which would suit me down to the ground.

Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

No you shouldn't have been allowed to enter the contract but the proof of ID/address is for the network's benefit so they can send you bills and chase you up if necessary. Technically they waived that restriction and allowed you to get the contract anyway.

I can't picture them being willing to cancel it unless you lie and say it was fraud.

If you cancel the direct debit they'll send debt collectors after you for the remainder of the 12 monthly payments

Advertisement