Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Greatest racing sims of all-time

• 02-07-2009 12:34pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 45

Interesting reading in the arcade and retro section about Empire's Top 100 games.

Racing-sim wise, what would you put up there? My top five, in order, are:

1. Grand Prix Legends (PC)
    2. Live For Speed (PC)
    3. F1GP (Amiga)
    4. Gran Turismo 4 (PS3)
    5. Grand Prix 3 (PC)

1 - What can you say? Took me about two months before I could drive 3 laps in a row, but absolutely immersive. Massive online community still growing strong, incredible cars, incredible tracks, incredible online racing. The King of Racing Sims, no doubt.

2 - The best online experience. Hop in and enjoy. Physics are instinctive, racing is close and smooth as a baby's bum. Simpicity at it's best.

3 - The one that started it all. Took my breath away and made me become a lifelong motorsport fan. Of course, it's ancient now, but those 2 hour races I regularly had, still hold great memories.

4 - Console racing at it's best. Fantastic array of cars and the Le Mans and Nurburgring circuits are the best recreations in gaming history.

5 - The best of Crammond's sims. GP3 was in my PC for about two years non-stop.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,084 ✭✭✭dubtom

I still play and am still crap at GPL*,F1GP is still on my shelf somewhere. RFactor is a great sim,especially for the extent of modding,unfortunatly that has it's drawbacks too,when I played it regularly I was forever having to move or change something ,which was a pain.I don't think I've played Gran tourismo since no 2 on PS1 or 2.

*I'm crap at all racing sims.

• Registered Users Posts: 836 ✭✭✭Leprekaun

No NR2003 or iRacing? :O I haven't played iRacing but its apparently the best. Both games' physics are evolutions of GPL.

RFactor is also a great sim which is probably the best simulator with an ISI physics engine.

GT5P is certainly excellent but I think the most realistic sim I've played has to be Forza 2 but I can't wait to play iRacing which is meant to be incredible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Grand Prix Legends would be my top 5 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭Niall09

I love Live For Speed. I've been hooked for nearly 3 years now. iRacing is good too, but it's too expensive in my book.

I'm looking forward to GT5 :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Trackmania!!! Best racing game ever!!

...and there is an excellent free version. www.trackmania.com

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,407 ✭✭✭Quint

Toca Race Driver 3

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Gran turismo 4 easliy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭ButcherOfNog

Finally signed up on iRacing last weekend, loving it, they've really put together a sim that "could" match up to GPL. Just needs them to add the 1967 F1 cars :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,657 ✭✭✭OSiriS

Welcome to the dark side ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 SamoZlo

Ferrari Challenge for PS3 combined with a decent steering wheel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

GP500 would be pretty high up in my book

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭jhegarty

No "Indy 500 : The Simulator" ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

jhegarty wrote: »
    No "Indy 500 : The Simulator" ?

Haha, I just fired that up in DOSBox a couple of weeks ago..

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

1. F1 95 (PSOne)
    2. iRacing (PC)
    3. Toca Race Driver 2 (PS2/PC)
    4. Gran Turismo 2 (PSOne)
    5. RACE 07 (PC)

Advertisement