Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Funding your Postgrad

Options
  • 02-07-2009 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hey,

I'm an undergrad and received a first class honours in my BA. I'm going on to do an MLitt but have learned that I've missed out on the main form of funding NUIM offer (the John and Pat Hume Scholarship). I'm caught in a bit of a limbo now. I have enough money to pay for fees and my rent for the year but my project may turn into a PhD (which would mean four more years or so...).

I am not eligible for a county council grant or any of that other garbage that's up on studentfinance.ie. Anybody know of any other options? I am going to work part-time in town. It's clear that I won't be getting tutorial work due to the cutbacks. I'm earning a good bit at the moment, but with living expenses and rent I'm not sure if I can save that much.

IRCHSS was clearly not suited to me as my project was far from that stage of development.

Any suggestions?

R

Comments

Hey,

I'm an undergrad and received a first class honours in my BA. I'm going on to do an MLitt but have learned that I've missed out on the main form of funding NUIM offer (the John and Pat Hume Scholarship). I'm caught in a bit of a limbo now. I have enough money to pay for fees and my rent for the year but my project may turn into a PhD (which would mean four more years or so...).

I am not eligible for a county council grant or any of that other garbage that's up on studentfinance.ie. Anybody know of any other options? I am going to work part-time in town. It's clear that I won't be getting tutorial work due to the cutbacks. I'm earning a good bit at the moment, but with living expenses and rent I'm not sure if I can save that much.

IRCHSS was clearly not suited to me as my project was far from that stage of development.

Any suggestions?

R

If you think you could be struggling perhaps consider taking a year out between studies? Not ideal, but this may make you eligible for the maintenance grant and/or give you time to apply for the funding that you missed out on. Can't think of any other scholarships that are available.

I assume you're frustrated which is why you regard some of the funding from the government as garbage. But regardless of this if you are finding it tough during college you should keep in mind that the Student Assistance Fund is available, and although not bottomless, could be helpful if you're in dire straits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 687 ✭✭✭scop

Work on your Mlitt and apply for IRCHSS funding for your PhD next January.

Advertisement