Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Battery Fault, Positive Terminal Wire Melted

• 02-07-2009 1:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭

Hoping someone with mechanical experience could shed some light on my problem. Basically, I was driving along the other day and my engine and power steering gave out, white smoke appeared from under the bonnet. I had to roll the car up on the kerb and apply the handbrake before I ran into someone else. I opened the bonnet, and the wire connecting to the positive terminal had come apart, the two ends would generate a spark if they contacted, the rubber casing around the wire had melted. I had the battery replaced recently, and I am thinking this is to blame. Take a look at the picture to see the extent of the damage, at this point I am really just looking to establish the cause.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

I don’t think you will establish the cause 100% from just the pic but it looks like there was or is a direct short on the positive wire. The short may not have been at the location of the damage so it needs to be checked.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

The heavy lead that has burned through is almost certainly the main supply to the starter motor, and there's a dead short circuit either somewhere along its length or in the starter solenoid.

At the very least, it'll need replacing, and the source of the short circuit will also have to be traced and rectified.

Get a mechanic or competent amateur to have a look at it; going by the evidence of the photograph, the fault should be pretty obvious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,828 ✭✭✭Reamer Fanny

I am looking into getting compensation from the supplier for the damge to my car as they fitted it, from the picture would it appear that the battery was the cause, and would they be liable for the damage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

justryan wrote: »
    I am looking into getting compensation from the supplier for the damge to my car as they fitted it, from the picture would it appear that the battery was the cause, and would they be liable for the damage?

you would not be able to tell from a picture what caused the fault, if you are planning on claiming for this, go get an Auto electrician to check it out and give you a report on it....

Ye I going to have a mechanic assess the damage, and find the cause if even possible. Surely they are liable seeing as the suppliers were the last people to touch the battery

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,907 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

I doubt the battery replacement would cause this.
    If the fault is the starter solenoid it could just be bad luck/wear.
    Just out of interest why was there a new battery fitted in the first instance?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Mr.Diagnostic

If the positive battery terminal is tight and the battery is clamped in then it is unlikely they were responsible.

Ye I going to have a mechanic assess the damage, and find the cause if even possible. Surely they are liable seeing as the suppliers were the last people to touch the battery

Surely they would only be liable if they were actually at fault?

The fact that they were last under the bonnet is not nearly enough to go on.

CJhaughey wrote: »
    I doubt the battery replacement would cause this.
    If the fault is the starter solenoid it could just be bad luck/wear.
    Just out of interest why was there a new battery fitted in the first instance?

The battery was replaced because the was no charge at all in the previous one, for example if I had left the car for a day or so without driving it would not start. I would have to jump start the car when this occurred.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

The battery was replaced because the was no charge at all in the previous one, for example if I had left the car for a day or so without driving it would not start. I would have to jump start the car when this occurred.

could be a faulty altenator and the last battery was fine ....

The car was solid for the last ten years, battery just need replacing due to old-age. And suddenly this happens when I get a new one, I will be seeking the advice of a mechanic, failing that I will go for a more rigorous assesment with the AA to find the cause of the fault.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,298 ✭✭✭martinr5232

This fault will be fairly easy to find.

Either a short in the cable or a fault component but for it to burn main live cable like that it would have to draw a lot of current only a few components do this ie starter,power steering pump.

That looks to me like an Opel Corsa B 1l which didnt have electric power steering.

My guess would be starter sticking on.

It would be nearly impossible for whoever fitted the battery to cause this fault.

So why didn't this occur before in the decade it has been on the road, and only happen after I had a new battery fitted?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

So why didn't this occur before in the decade it has been on the road, and only happen after I had a new battery fitted?
    Can't answer this, by not breaching the charter, other than saying "it happen's" esp. with old cars.

Maybe because like the battery every other component is getting old and worn.

So how long after the battery was fitted did this happen ?

Maybe because like the battery every other component is getting old and worn.

So how long after the battery was fitted did this happen ?

Battery was fitted on 12th April 2009, incident happened 27th June 2009. I was impressed that you guessed it was an Opel Corsa, however it does have power steering.

It might have power steering but it is mechanicl not electric which means it is not going to be a heavy consumer of electrical power like a starter motor.

And those two components would be the heaviest draw of power.

So again either a starter motor staying engaged or the main power lead shorting off either body or engine block.

As for those who fitted the battery being at fault there is little or no chance they were at fault seeing as there is nearly a three month space between getting your battery fitted and this happening.

And even if it was them im afraid after that time scale it wold be very hard to prove it was their fault im ver sorry to say.

Appreciate that the thing is, it wasnt fitted by a garage as such, it was done by a well known retail outlet, so we are not talking about experienced professionals here.

In fairness you could train a monkey to change a battery its only two connections and a mounting bracket.

Get your car repaired and drive on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

Is there a possability that someone tried to jump start the car before the decision was made to replace the battery and got the polarity mixed up when jump starting your car??? This is the only time I've seen this kind of heavy current cabling melting down. Also, if the other end of that heavy current positive cable is coming into contact with an earth, this could cause the same issue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,696 ✭✭✭trad

In fairness you could train a monkey to change a battery its only two connections and a mounting bracket.
    If only life were so simple. I seen some very advanced monkies put bateries in the wrong way around, forget to put oil in engines, and lower expensive mercedes off ramps with the door's open, and these monkies called themselves mechanics.

I'd go for the starter soleniod, when you look at it it's probably melted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Ummmm i haven't fully read all of the thread.... I just had a quick look at the picture, is it the positive or negative cable that is burnt/melted??

If its the negative that's burnt i would guess that the positive poll of the battery is making contact with the underside of the bonnet... :mad:

If the battery is taller than the original the positive poll can touch the underside of the bonnet. Typically nothing happens as there's a nice coat of paint to act as an insulator... but drive for any amount of time the poll of the battery will scratch the paint, next thing you know you've got a short :(

Ok scrap what i said, Just noticed the thread title says the positive lead was melted....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

It's 10 weeks since the new battery was installed, so I'd strongly suspect that this particular incident is entirely separate and has nothing to do with either the battery or whoever fitted it.

OP, if you're determined to lay this at the feet of the battery supplier/fitter, get it looked at by the AA or a competent auto sparks and get them to issue a written report; it's my opinion though that you'll be throwing their fee away, on top of the cost of getting someone to diagnose and rectify whatever this current (:D) fault is.

So you reckon a battery itself under any circumstances isn't capable of causing a short in the wire, I was talking to a mechanic friend of mine and he said it could be due to water damage as there is signs of oxidation on the positive copper lead. The car will get the once over on saturday, and quote me any repairs. I don't think I will pursue anything with the company who supplied and fitted, going by this thread and your responses, it will really only cost be in the long run if I am proven wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,097 ✭✭✭Darragh29

I think I might be able to solve this for you OP after looking at your pic again!

Open your car bonnet and look at the inside of the bonnet area where it would come close to the positive battery terminal or the section of cable that has belted. If you can see signs of burning/melting on the back of the bonnet, then what must have happened is that the positive cabling came into contact with an earth via the bonnet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,632 ✭✭✭ART6

I have seen something similar to this before. It happened when the OP was driving normally, with no prior warning, and the pic shows the cable burned out where it is crimped into the terminal. If the cable is not secured properly it can waggle about as the car is moving, but it is fixed rigidly at the battery post. The continual flexing at that point causes metal fatigue and eventually the cable starts to overheat and melt the insulation. Then it only has to touch some part of the bodywork to burn out completely. Alternatively, when starting the engine the extra current demanded by the starter motor blows the cable or starts it overheating.

Advertisement