Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Father, it's been 3 months since I last checked me balls

• 02-07-2009 1:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭

Did the oul testicular check today, looking for lumps and bumps. All clear, thank god.

But I was thinking it's probably been many months since I last had a proper check down there.

You're supposed to do it regularly. But I don't. It's a huge area to cover, in fairness :P

So, step up to the confessional. How long has it been since you last checked your nuts for badness. Do you know what you're looking for? And do you do it often?

Having a random grope while you're having a tug doesn't count, and will make you blind.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

every day in the shower, dude!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,483 ✭✭✭✭Alun

I do it every now and then, when I remember, but have to confess I'm not 100% sure what it is I'm really looking for. I always get a bit confused by the wiggly lumpy tube thingy (epididymis?) at the back of them, and wonder if that's supposed to feel quite the way it does.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I think this is a bit weird...

Basically a good buddy of mine has his balls checked by his GP......

Who happens to be his father.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,461 ✭✭✭DrIndy

I don't check them often enough - so this can make it hard to know if something isn't right.

My left nut is higher than my right which is always the case - apart from that i think i'm ok.

how often should we be checking them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,513 ✭✭✭Sleipnir

DrIndy wrote: »
    how often should we be checking them?

Every 10 minutes. Cut a hole in yor pockets.

I find that sometimes, they're just not in the mood to be checked.

• Advertisement

My old doll checks them...much more re assuring..:D..she is quiet the expert.

calm it down lads, thanks :) although partyguiness, I agree with you. She is quite the expert ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Alun wrote: »
    I do it every now and then, when I remember, but have to confess I'm not 100% sure what it is I'm really looking for. I always get a bit confused by the wiggly lumpy tube thingy (epididymis?) at the back of them, and wonder if that's supposed to feel quite the way it does.

+1, it's not exactly something you're ever really...told (was gonna say shown but...:pac:)
    I think this is a bit weird...

Basically a good buddy of mine has his balls checked by his GP......

Who happens to be his father.
    Lol! Keepin' it in the family.

tbh wrote: »
    calm it down lads, thanks :) although partyguiness, I agree with you. She is quite the expert ;)

Ooohhhhh touché....:o

+1, it's not exactly something you're ever really...told (was gonna say shown but...:pac:)

Lol! Keepin' it in the family.

I know..way to weird for my liking..deadly serious though...after he fcked a hooker in Brazil he even told his old man and asked him for the usual STD tests as he was paranoid..all clear but man its way too close to home for my liking...:eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

tallaght01 wrote: »
    Did the oul testicular check today, looking for lumps and bumps. All clear, thank god.

But I was thinking it's probably been many months since I last had a proper check down there.

You're supposed to do it regularly. But I don't. It's a huge area to cover, in fairness :P

So, step up to the confessional. How long has it been since you last checked your nuts for badness. Do you know what you're looking for? And do you do it often?

Having a random grope while you're having a tug doesn't count, and will make you blind.
    So what are we looking for apart from a random anomalyous lump thing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

DrIndy wrote: »

My left nut is higher than my right which is always the case

Like, on your shoulder???
    My old doll checks them...much more re assuring..:D..she is quiet the expert.

Does she do appointments? :D
    So what are we looking for apart from a random anomalyous lump thing?

I'll maybe write something about this tomorrow when I have some time.

So, to answer the "what are you looking for" question.......anything that's different from the norm!

Basically most testicular cancers present with a lump. But that does't have to be the case. for example, sometimes it's just that a testicle feels hard. Or it can change shape, or swell up.
    There may be a bit of discomfort, or it may be completely painless. testicular cancer can even show up occasionally as altered skin on the scrotum (your nutsack).
    The first sign in others can even be back pain! This can happen if the tumour has spread to the spine.

One of the main reasons for checking your balls on a regular basis is to feel what they're like normally. Anything that's different should be checked by a doctor.

Many men don't get these things checked by the doc. This might be because they're scared of the diagnosis. But bear in mind that most problems with your testis won't be cancerous, so go and get it checked for peace of mind.

the other ting to remember is that testicular cancer is very curable, even after it has spread.But your chances are better the earlier you get it sorted. lance Armstrong is a good example of this. His tumour had spread to his lungs and brains, and he still got cured.

So, if you notice anything different about your nuts, get it checked out.

There's lots of diagrams on the net about how exactly to check your testicles. Does anyone know how to embed one into a thread?

But carry on. Be honest. Tell us how often you check. Or have you ever had a lump? What happened?

Sharing is caring :D

There's lots of diagrams on the net about how exactly to check your testicles. Does anyone know how to embed one into a thread?

save it, then upload it to wthax.org and embed it - if you want, pm me the links and I'll do it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 734 ✭✭✭DundalkDuffman

Once a week for me. I don't know why anyone would do it every day, surely you will miss something if there is a gradual growth/abnormality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

the other ting to remember is that testicular cancer is not very curable, even after it has spread. lance Armstrong is a good example of this. His tumour had spread to his lungs and brains, and he still got cured.

Sorry, I'm confused.

Is it very curable or isn't it?

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Sorry, I'm confused.

Is it very curable or isn't it?

sorry...typo. Well spotted. It IS very curable.

I'll fix that now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Yeah, I should be probably be a doctor or something.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,373 ✭✭✭Dr Galen

this explains it much better than me, Tallaght01 or anyone else could. Maybe we could get FAS girl to do a similar type thing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

this explains it much better than me, Tallaght01 or anyone else could. Maybe we could get FAS girl to do a similar type thing?

That video is brilliant - I only check my husbands for this once a month - should I do it more often - he returns the favor and checks my chest in return.

• Advertisement

awh, heart warming stuff CathyM. Isn't that what good relationships are made of.

On a serious note, in the UK a few years back, I saw posters in the womens jacks (don't ask) encouraging ladies to examine their man's bits. Thought it was a great idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,458 ✭✭✭CathyMoran

awh, heart warming stuff CathyM. Isn't that what good relationships are made of.

On a serious note, in the UK a few years back, I saw posters in the womens jacks (don't ask) encouraging ladies to examine their man's bits. Thought it was a great idea.
    It is strange how much he enjoys it - I do get a but clinical about it but we still make it fun.

Here's a nice article on it.

http://www.irishhealth.com/article.html?con=423

The video above shows how it should be done.

ideally by rachel stevens.........

so i got FAS girls email address, will we ask her to do an Irish version?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,566 ✭✭✭Gillo

Funny check regularly, last week I was convinced I found something now it's gone. No idea what I feeling?

I reckon a quick ball check should be part of any routine men's health check. But I don't think it often is. Anyone ever had a check as part of a routine health screen?

Actually, has anyone ever had a routine health screen? lol :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

CathyMoran wrote: »
    It is strange how much he enjoys it - I do get a but clinical about it but we still make it fun.

Nothing Better than making a sex game out of a medical check eh!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,104 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

I reckon a quick ball check should be part of any routine men's health check. But I don't think it often is. Anyone ever had a check as part of a routine health screen?

Actually, has anyone ever had a routine health screen? lol :P

I think I remmeber hearing about them!
    Only thing I have done is blood tests.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

twice a week

it is one of those things that our department of health fails on dramatically.

Such (relatively) an easy cancer to treat, I can not understand how there is not a drive to show guys how to do this properly.

I know two guys who have had this. Both fit, healthy and under 30 when it happened

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,048 ✭✭✭✭Snowie

every day

Advertisement